What is my best option?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakRatFink

Reaction score
I had a stuck/ stripped screw on my master cyl reservoir. I tried to easy-out it and got just the head, tried drilling the remainder of the shank out. I got most of it but I can't star a screw in the hole. How tight will the cap seal with one screw? Will it leak? Will it let in moisture? I maybe could try yo tap new threads but all my tap and dye sets are 800 miles away ( I could buy new ones ) OR should I just get a new res and say EF IT?

All opinions and advice appreciated.

One screw won't do it, if you are looking for a temporary fix you might try a short sheet metal screw , they are self tapping. But you better make sure the hole is large enough because if it breaks, it is made of a harder steel than the one you are trying to drill out.

I've seen some pretty redneck repairs. In a pinch you can use a hose clamp around the lid and master body to hold the lid down.

Sean

A used master cylinder isn't too expensive so why mess with the safe operation of your motorcycle by "redneck engineering" this repair?????

I've seen some pretty redneck repairs. In a pinch you can use a hose clamp around the lid and master body to hold the lid down.

Sean

That is way less redneck than the heavy duty ZIP TIE I am thinking of using.
Sean, would you happen to know if the assembly off an FZR600 would be interchangable? It looks identical to me and I KNOW the lever is interchangable ( same part #)

should be able to drill the head of the screw off and then lift the lid off, take a pair of vise grips or reg pliers and with no tension the screw should come right out no fuss.

edit: i just re-read it, guess the left over stuff in the threads is what your dealing with eh? crap think it would fall apart for ya, guess not. i guess red neck fix til you get home with more tools eh. ebay might have some cheap masters for ya.

If it looks the same (triangular cover) then it likely is. Yamaha is a very big interchange parts builder so many of the parts are used on a variety of models.

Sean

I've noticed in my search for parts this morning the rebuild kits fit a huge variety of models so I am pretty sure they are the same part.

I would not be scared at all to get one. It's got a 99% chance of being the same. They worked the 2 piston and 4 piston units just fine and also work the 6 piston conversions well. The biggest thing to look for is the angle they are designed to sit at when clamped up on the bar.

Sean

Just an update, I had an extra FZR one around. I painted it up with engine paint, bled the system, works just fine :)

Latest posts

Back