What is wrong with this picture?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would expect to see an exhaust on that side, looking hard doesn't look like there is one on the other side.

I almost bought one of those loading mechanisms, but I have a trailer so I usually use that. I do have a 12V winch I can temporarily install in the front of the pick-up bed to get a heavy load in.

Who wonders if the owner ran the motor w/o pipes/mufflers? I'm sure it would be deafening.

My GMC pick-up has a mere 200 lbs rating for the tailgate. I keep an eye on the cables, to see if there are any severed strands. I also have a 'trailer hitch T,' which slides into the OEM trailer hitch, and extends up to the underside of the open tailgate, where it rests against the underside of the tailgate top edge.

The receiver hitch is itself rated at 600 lbs. which is 1/10 of the tow rating of 6,000 lbs for its tow package. I can also extend the steel box-section beyond the end of the open tailgate.

I have an aluminum platform which sticks out another foot+ beyond the open tailgate, and the front of the aluminum platform is against the front of the pickup bed. The steel box-section member in the receiver hitch extends out to a couple inches before the end of the aluminum platform and the vertical adjustable steel box-section ends in a horizontal T, the same one that I use for the open tailgate support, if not using the aluminum platform. I've had the 'Max on it a few times, and I always feel better about carrying it that way, with the aluminum platform being supported on its underside beyond the length of the open tailgate.

However, I've also carried the 'Max using the receiver hitch and the fabricated steel box-section T supporting the open tailgate, and it seems to behave OK to support the weight.

Last edited:
I was focused on the weight placed on the tailgate and tailgate cables.
Wouldn't the force on the tailgate depend on how much flex there is in the horisontal members?
As it is fixed to the floor at the cab end and also appears to be supported towards the rear of the load space I suspect any deflection would be minimal.

You would hope it's connected to the pick-up bed. A rational man or woman wouldn't use it unless it was, and the back crossmember fastened too.

https://www.dgmtailgatesupport.com/product-category/tailgate-support/
Of note, the truck I looked-up, they don't rate the load carrying capacity at anything above the OEM cable. They also are not to be used except for static loading/unloading, and NOT while underway! That is disappointing.

Given that limitation, my idea of a T-bar using the 2" receiver hitch to support the open tailgate seems to offer more of a load capacity increase, and while underway.

Back