What maintenance do you recommend?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennsVmax

Reaction score
I have a 2006 VMax with 12K miles, have owned it a year, recently changed oil in engine and shaft drive, removed as much brake and clutch fluid as possible with turkey baster and replaced with fresh fluid, new spark plugs. and put in a barely used K & N air filter which I cleaned first, oh almost forgot I did replace the fuel filter and just put in an Odessy battery which helps is start up quicker. I check my air in tires every couple of months.

I was wondering how often you guys recommend changing coolant fluid (mine looks good but probably original), when or if to change fork oil and how often should I lube steering head bearings and if there is anything else I should do to ensure bike is well maintained?

I have seen recommendations from manuals but am wondering what most V Max owners do. Any suggestions?

Any water, crud, etc. will settle in the calipers and clutch slave cylinder....changing the fluid in the reservoirs only won't help remove any of that, if it's present.

I use a mighty vac and pull the old fluid out and replace with new. If you pump the m/v slow and keep the res topped off while doing this you may not have to do any bleeding.

Keep pumping till you see clean new fluid coming out.

I change coolant every couple years.

as for fork oil, i know lots of guys go long time between chg's but i find you will notice a difference with new oil so depending on how much you drive the bike, but something like 2-3 yrs wont hurt, pretty easy to do.

Back