What's a 97 worth?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingrider

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been slowly coming to the conclusion that I may have to sell my Max to help pay for stuff around the house...actually losing sleep over selling it vs paying bills. I don't really want to do it, but at this point, it might be the only way.

What I'm trying to figure out is what I should list it for if I do sell it. I know add on's don't really ad to the asking price (within reason) but I'll list what I've done, and maybe someone can ballpark what they'd start out at.

It's a 97 with 15000 miles. Solid engine mounts, Progressive front springs and Progressive rear shocks...believe they are 412's. Lowered 1/2" all the way around. Morley's seat, Black Galfer lines all the way around. New tires. Had chrome Supertrapps on it, but had them ceramic coated black to go with the 97's original look. Has Yamaha crash bars powder coated black. Raptor shift light on speedometer. Currently has bar end mirrors, but do have originals, with bar ends to seal up the handlebars which have lead shot in them. Harrison LED turn signals all the way around. And I have a Memphis Shades Hellcat windshield on it that I may leave, or pull off and sell seperate, as some don't really like windshields.

So, what would you say I should start out at if I was going to sell this bike? Again, I hesitate doing it, but sometimes you have to sell the toys to keep the stuff that really matters. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• P4261212.jpg
    P4261212.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 67
  • P4261213.jpg
    P4261213.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 81
  • P4261214.jpg
    P4261214.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 73
  • P4261215.jpg
    P4261215.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 69
You won't like it but it's pretty much a buyers market.
I have a very clean low mileage 94, not worth much either @ $3,195.00.

Kelly Blue Book for Mn is: Check mileage and accessories at this link.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/1997/yamaha/vmx12-v_max/82304

1997 Yamaha VMX12 V-Max Value

Email

July 5, 2010
  • 4-Cylinders
  • 4-Stroke
  • 1200cc
Suggested Retail Value $3520

Not so good.
Dave

Yea, i know it's a buyers market...that's one of the reasons I'm asking on here to see what people are actually getting for them. Our local craigslist has a few of them...most seem really high...for instance, a 96 that's painted all black for $5500, a 94 for $4750, and then to round it out, a 2000 with custom paint for $4250, according to ad, half off list price. :)

Kbb is good for a reference, but some around here don't agree with it. Thanks for the help so far. I was thinking of starting at $4400 and just see where it got me...

I would guess around $4500 to $4750...I KBB listed for less, but they go for more than that around here (Maine).

good luck to ya my friend. ive had my 07 listed for sale for 6,000 and ive had absolutely no interest whatsoever.

i know times are tuff but holy crap!!!:ummm::confused2:

Hey if you want to sell off a bit I'd be interested in your seat (my stock plus cahs) and your bar end mirrors. Good luck either way

"What's it worth" is only part of the question. The second question is "to who?".

I'd list it for $4500, and take no less than $4000. Book values are nebulous at best and downright unrealistic at worst. Don't put a lot of faith in them. I've had things sell for double book value, and also less than half.

Problem is, you're entering one of the bad times to sell. This time last year is when I put my Magna up for sale. Pristine '85, all original for $1500. Only like 12k miles. Couple "tire kickers" and low-ballers, "take $750 for it?", but nobody even remotely serious all summer. Late August I dropped it to $1250 and still nothing. Ran it all winter on craigslist, not even a nibble. Then April of this year hit. Posted it again on craigslist, and got FLOODED with replies. Like 4 or 5 every day, it was gone within the week with my full asking price in hand.

Where the spring is a seller's market(everyone's looking to buy a bike for the summer), getting later into summer it shifts to a buyer's market.

Realistically, if you HAVE to sell it, you're probably going to have to take a very low price to move it. Otherwise, enjoy it for the year and try again next spring.

Lots of factors depend whos looking and what they want really. I paid 7,000 for my 97 but it also had 200 miles on it. It was like a brand new bike when I bought it three years ago so it just depends:punk:

I see youre in MN, Im in North Branch.

Have you looked on Craigslist lately? there are quite a few of them listed. and theyve been there for a while. vmaxes dont sell to well around here

There is a 2000 max on MPLS CL right now with 17,203 miles, new tires for $2900.00

I dont mean to sound discouraging or negative but it may take a while to sell, you would be lucky to get $3500-$4000, ive watched prices for a long time, they dont go for much here

I sold my 2000 w/18,000 mi in 2006 for 4000.00 it took two summers and I was the only max on CL

mnmax, small world...born and raised in Chisago...now on the NW side of the Cities.

I saw that 2000 as well. that was actually the one that made me realize that I more or less have to hang on to it till at least next year. I think I've figured out a way to keep it, but there won't be many mods happening.

We'll see what the future holds. :)

I know where a 2003 with a frozen motor is. It's been in the back of a garage for about 3 years. I think he would like to get rid of it and I would like to have it. I don't know what a fair price would be. Nice shape. Corbin seat. Any ideas on what I should offer?

I would try to get it as cheap as I could. Would have expected a few years back to pick it up for $500.00 but you may have to pay more now. Figure the cost of a motor rebuild plus other parts that have gone bad from setting. Battery for sure, carb rebuild likely and deduct that from Kelly Blue Book at the very most. I'd offer 1,000. 00 and go from there but not too far.

Dave

Latest posts

Back