Whats it worth???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65fury

Reaction score
Hello to anyone who would like to share their opinion. Well my boss's son has a 2001 Suzuki TL1000s thats been sitting in his garage since about 03' cause he layed it down and never fixed it. Only problems are cosmetic, and one muffler got ripped off. But the bike only has 2200 miles on it.... its got back registration on it from 04 till now... but i was thinking of maybe using it as a parts bike... wheels, front forks..... and anything else i can use on the Vmax. and the motor could go towards some project i think up... or sell it. What yall think?? how much is it worth? like i said just some cracked fairings and thats it.... oh and one missing muffler. Thanks

Jason

Guessing, $500 bucks..:confused2::ummm::confused2:It would be a buyers market bike.

Thats it huh? even with the really low miles, tires are still new(no rot) brakes, rims....ect?

Jason

Realistically, if you are just guessing about what you can use, ya. If you know for a fact you can use certain parts then I'd price the parts and figure on offering 1/2 the cost up to 2 grand? He's you boss so you don't want to insult him but at the end of the day, he isn't your friend, he's just a guy trying to off load a wrecked bike and reclaim some space. If you have a friend who is an insurance adjuster I'd have them take a ride with you. You aren't looking to put it back on the road; to you it is totaled. There just so happens to be good parts on the totaled bike that you can use.

Any thing you can't use does not add value to you as a buyer.

You also have to take into consideration that you cannot just bolt these parts onto your Vmax. For the front end to work you have to buy a set of triple trees, which cost quite a bit. That would be about all you can use off the bike unless you have a desire to go chain drive and even then you are into some serious coin to have that done. Otherwise there is nothing of value to a Vmax on a "Tiller".

Well if yall put it that way:rofl_200: im glad i asked first, im still very new to the bike world so there is alot for me to learn about still. For some reason i was thinking the whole front end would swap over real easy without much other parts needed... guess not:bang head: I guess that answers my question, not worth it unless he gives it to me l:biglaugh: Its my boss's sons bike... so my companies VP and hes an idiot.. he holds on to everything he buys, but never fixes or uses or sells it. Thing is he wont ever ride it again and he doesnt know how to fix it... seems like a waste of a decent bike. All it needs to be street legal is a shifter peg, and mufflers, all the fairings are still bolted on, just have a few cracks... oh well

Jason

I bought an 89 that I rode and thought was in good shape. I bought it for $2100.00. Figured I could do a little work and have a bike to turn for a small profit... Ha, Ha, Ha... Didn't happen. It's just coming close to being 100% road worthy. About 550 hours and nearing double the original price. Guess I'm gonna ride the crap out of it cause it's worth a grand or so less than I have in it......

We all fall into holes now and then......

If the damage is as minor as you say and you're up for it, you could try doing a "flip this bike". Offer the guy like $500, put a couple hundred into it, then sell it for a couple grand. Could make a tidy profit.

Eight year old tires are a disaster waiting to happen. How long did the bike lay on its side running wide-open before it was shut-off? $500 is it, man! If the dude wants to part it out on ebay he's gonna make some minimal $ because he doesn't know what anything is worth. If he figures it's all worth 'top-dollar,' he's unlikely going to sell anything! "Only 2K mi?" Good luck with that sale!

You could get lucky and be able to fire it up with a battery & some work to get the fueling functional. Or you could fire it up & have it seize solid because it ran the bearing surfaces dry to the point of seizure. If anyone gives him > $500 for that he should cook 'em dinner & kiss 'em on the mouth when they leave.

If the damage is as minor as you say and you're up for it, you could try doing a "flip this bike". Offer the guy like $500, put a couple hundred into it, then sell it for a couple grand. Could make a tidy profit.

It really isnt all that bad, it was a very low speed lay down and he didnt even get hurt or scratched. I know the history of the bike because a co worker of mine bought a TL1000 with my boss's son(when they were friends) and they both rode together. I know all new fluids and a new battery are obvious, but its true this bike has almost no miles on it.

I know nothing about how long tires can sit for, but if they are out of the sun and kept in a cool dark place all the time... like a garage, what goes bad?? :ummm:

As for bearings seizing... couldnt you just crank it over with new oil and let it relube themselves?? its like old cars that have been sitting 20+yrs... ive gone out with a gas can and hose and bypassed the tank and had them fire right up and puurrr like a kitten, or a little trick of oil down the spark plug hole to lube the topend, maybe these are old school ways that work only on cars:biglaugh:

Thanks for the info, Id rather ask dumb questions and learn then buy something and get screwed:clapping:

Jason

Jason: Sounds like your really Set that you're gonna get this bike... What you've just said will work to revive the bike enough to see what kind of condition it's in. Lots of work awaits you.. 8 years is a long time. Depends on the temperatures you see whether the tires may still be good. Wide swing is a bad thing to tires.

My dad spent years after WW II buying Military Harley's that other Soldiers had obtained to ride at home. Some had sat for years by the time I came along. He put penetrating oil in the cylinders and waited... The seats needed replaced and the bikes needed cleaned up and painted. His initial investment was about $10.00. A lot of money back then. He always made out though... He did the same with Airplanes too, Only he had to fly them home.. He had some great stories about that...

So,,,,, go check this bike over and buy it, otherwise You'll always wonder what could have been...

Dave

I wouldn't be super concerned about 8 years if they've been in a garage. That said I wouldn't really want to push them at high speeds or hard cornering either. Use your judgment....look for dry rot cracks around the bead on the sidewalls. If they look really nasty, chuck 'em, or do a burnout or something. Not too bad? Your call there.

8 yrs? Carbs are most likely plugged up. If it starts and runs abeit poorly you might get lucky and have sea-foam take care of the problem, if not, plan on a rebuild job.

I bet the motor is fine. Unless it somehow got jammed WOT on it's side and broke something from over revving, there's really no reason the motor would be damaged(unless one of the case covers is broken).

Sounds like a viable fixer-upper. Carb job, fix the bodywork, slap some new rubber on it, then either keep it for yourself, or turn around and stick a $2500 sign on it.

Hahaha thanks guys, ive been slightly interested int his bike for the past 5yrs, mostly cause i figured i could get it cheap and it would be a fun beater(not something i really want to fix up, like my VMAX!:biglaugh:) I dont have the money for a toy bike right bnow anyways buti figured i wont know the worth unless i ask:ummm: Ive checked the tires and they honestly still look new, No carbs!!! hahaha its fuel injected!! so no carb rebuilds, just some injector cleaner and good gas, battery, fluids ect and its golden...... i think Im not worried it will ever get sold... he still has his old 1968 chevy from HS and its been sitting in his orchard for even longer! Maybe ill see if i can get some pics of it and the damgae and see what yall think.

Jason

Latest posts

Back