What's with the oil light anyway?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCHILDERS

Reaction score
So when I go WOT at about 7000 or 7500 RPM the oil light comes on. What's that about

Normal. Oil level switch is in front of pan so under hard acceleration oil goes to back of pan. Oil pickup is back of pan so nothing to worry about.

i tryed a different filter last oil change then i noticed light...or when i ran 4 qts i never seen the light..now with oil at top of glass i see the oil light..so so confussed :confused2:

Come on, the oil light is really an indicator your bike is running well.

True!!!!

It's really a fluid level indicator, not pressure indicator. Just means your bike is taking off fast enough to fool the system as oil cant get through the opening fast enough. That is what the level window is for (checking levels).

If it did it at idle, that would be a problem.

You can put more oil in if you don't care about the seals!!!

In other words...trust the window, and install a pressure gauge if you're worried about PSI.

Neil

I can tell you this though... When that oil light comes on the oil pressure will flucuate.
I fill my oil a little more than 3/4 in the site glass and I dont see the oil light come on? Does this mean my bike doesnt run as good when the oil level is up?

Ya know someone wrote that yrs and yrs ago, Its a cop out. I thought wow my VMAX is fast also since my oil light comes on...:rofl_200: When I watch my oil pressure jump around when the light came on I was like hmmm may run good but I dont like the oil going from 60,,, 45......50.......30........etc.
Keep filling (Not completly filling the site glass) and that oil light will go out... LEVEL GROUND. LEVEL POSTION NOT CENTER STAND LEAN THE BIKE UP and check the oil level

i agree the oil light is a cop out.....but the say between the lines is safe.. i dont understand or believe that...with full glass before start up..now bike running the level drops to bottom near bottom of glass

I can tell you this though... When that oil light comes on the oil pressure will flucuate.
I fill my oil a little more than 3/4 in the site glass and I dont see the oil light come on? Does this mean my bike doesnt run as good when the oil level is up?

Ya know someone wrote that yrs and yrs ago, Its a cop out. I thought wow my VMAX is fast also since my oil light comes on...:rofl_200: When I watch my oil pressure jump around when the light came on I was like hmmm may run good but I dont like the oil going from 60,,, 45......50.......30........etc.
Keep filling (Not completly filling the site glass) and that oil light will go out... LEVEL GROUND. LEVEL POSTION NOT CENTER STAND LEAN THE BIKE UP and check the oil level

Could mean you're running an older model engine with the o-ring issue???

Might also be the homemade puke can crank breather??? More oil will give more pressure, but, that is a band-aid on a cancer cell if there really are problems.

Just run SAE 50 and that will take care of everything :biglaugh:

Lets all take our SBC that runs 40 lbs. at idle to 80 lbs. with 2 more quarts while the bearings are all lubed beyond speck and the idiot light tells us different.

Back