Why do I want a V-max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verboten1

Reaction score
Ok....here is my story.

I ride a virago 920 that I was given by my father when he upgraded to a new Kawasaki Vulcan Last year.

I love to ride, typically at least 1000 miles a month. The virago is....ok for me (all 270 pounds of me ;) ) it's fast enough, pretty reliable, and makes some nice noise.
It's acceptable for long trips, but the tank is tiny. I get worried around 90 miles into my trip.

I would say 1/3 to 1/2 of my riding is 2 up with my girl...

the virago is ok with both of us, but I am looking for more power, better handling, and better availability of parts, as i can't really tweak the virago any more, because the parts are not available.

Is the V-max ok for long trips?
what is the typical range?
Is 2 up comfortable for most?

thanks all!

J

*EDIT* Almost forgot.

is it more desirable to have a post 93 bike, or is a pre '93 bike ok too?

Attachments

• 85virago920.jpg
    85virago920.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 21
I'm looking for a cruiser that can be ridden.

the FJR is too much sportbike for me, don't like the look or the ridin position due to fused discs

V-Maxes are pretty much ment for a badass image and really fast go straight acceleration. They really don't handle that great. They're heavy. And I can only sit on mine for about an hour before my butt says "enough". But I'm kinda a lightweight, so I'm not sure how different that is for heavier set guys.

I also only get about 100 miles of city riding before the fuel light comes on, and about 130 for the highway.

see, most of my riding is in town, or just back roads.

I can do 2 hours (run the tank dry) on the virago on the stock seat and the VERY upright position, and other than a tingly hand (carpal tunnel) I'm ready to roll some more after refueling.

I really need to see/sit on the v-max but it has just stuck out to me to #1 be better than the warrior for 2 up, and fast.

i like to take twisties, but i will be the first to say....i only run at 4-6 tenths and am never at 100% I do the 100% in the car on the track

Z

I used to only be able to take 1 hour on the stock or furbur seat. Got a used corbin and reshaped it a bit. Just got back from NH..13 hours straight riding except for gas/short lunch..no seat problems (also changed handlebar and peg positions as well which are important posture factors)

My vmax pulls with my wife on like she isn't there except it makes it even easier to wheelie with weight over the rear wheel. I'm 220 ,She's 125.we can still fly when we want to.

It will only go around 100 miles before needing fueled up again.

It will only go around 100 miles before needing fueled up again.

seems to be a pretty standard range. My dads vulcan does about the same as the virago, bigger tank, but way bigger bike and engine.

so what I am reading, with some standard mods (seat, bars, pegs) I could do some decent rides on a V-Max.

i will most likely never take a long trip 2 up because she barely lasts on our 50 mile rides, let alone a 500 mile one :)

so back to what bike i would want.

should i hold out for post '93? (less miles, newer, more reliable i would assume)

or would an older low mile bike work out too?

i would most likely do some performance mods, and definitely appearance mods, because i love the lower cowls, and some of the other accessories i have seen

Hey Forbidden1... :whistlin:

Depends on what you want. I wouldn't buy one from before '96 as I like to have the spin on oil filter and all the newer components.

Shawn has an '88 and has updated the front brakes with 4 pot Tokico's calipers.

I like the beefier forks and other additions the newer bikes give you. SO... If you can afford a later model do it. If you can't, the early models are fine but don't offer quite the level of braking that the newer ones do.

As for touring on a Max??? NO WAY! Not stock anyway. The seat has to go.

Otherwise it's all good. If I was riding two up the Corbin with the wide pillion pad and slide in sissy bar would be the way to go IMHO.

Good luck
:thumbs up:

you guys gotta quit saying how bad the seat is.:smileystooges: At least until I get back from my long ride back out here next week. I'm gonna end up trailering it for fear of permenant damage. (to me):stickyman:
I tell ya what. I'm jonesen for a ride so bad, I will welcome the saddle sores. Cant be as bad as riding on the hard bench in the back of a duece and a half (those of you who know what that is know what I'm talking about.) I've done 6 hours of that in the worst heat of my life.

you guys gotta quit saying how bad the seat is.:smileystooges: At least until I get back from my long ride back out here next week. I'm gonna end up trailering it for fear of permenant damage. (to me):stickyman:
I tell ya what. I'm jonesen for a ride so bad, I will welcome the saddle sores. Cant be as bad as riding on the hard bench in the back of a duece and a half (those of you who know what that is know what I'm talking about.) I've done 6 hours of that in the worst heat of my life.

As you mentioned, there are a lot more uncomfortable things to sit on. The VMax is no Barco lounger but it is more comfortable to sit on than my dual sport bike. Just get out there and ride! :rocket bike:

cool thanks for the input.
I wouldn't say I ever "tour" but the girl and i rode approximately 90 miles last night to go see a friend.

basically, what i understand is...get a '96 or up, with a corbin seat and i should be good to ride the distances i typically do.

cool thanks for the input.
I wouldn't say I ever "tour" but the girl and i rode approximately 90 miles last night to go see a friend.

basically, what i understand is...get a '96 or up, with a corbin seat and i should be good to ride the distances i typically do.

Yep! Your better half will love you for getting the Corbin. The Corbin isn't the best looking seat out there as it is VERY wide and really looks a lot like a horse saddle but it is much more comfy for the passenger...
The other downside to the Corbin is that it weighs like 25 pounds...:surprise: The stocker weighs like 5.

If you can afford a '96 or later do it, but don't let the newer features keep you from buying an earlier model...

I'm sure a deuce and a half sucks rocks, but the Vmax is right up there...:bang head:

That's what Sean Morley is for though right?:whistlin:

how much does the sportmax seat improve comfort?
accordig to their website it's alot, but real world may be different! ;):banana:

how much does the sportmax seat improve comfort?
accordig to their website it's alot, but real world may be different! ;):banana:
A lot! But the pillion pad isn't as big as the Corbin. They can widen it, but I think it looks goofy...

I would go with a forum members seat. Sean Morley.:thumbs up: I think Furber (Sportmax)was 6 months behind the last time I heard...:surprise:

A lot! But the pillion pad isn't as big as the Corbin. They can widen it, but I think it looks goofy...

I would go with a forum members seat. Sean Morley.:thumbs up: I think Furber (Sportmax)was 6 months behind the last time I heard...:surprise:

I've got both, Sportmax and an older Corbin (don't know how old). I like both a lot, with the Sportmax I sit 2-3 inches closer to the front than the Corbin and the Corbin is an inch wider where I sit to put my feet down, this would be a problem for a person with shorter legs , I'm just over 6' so no big deal. My son may like the width better in the back, but since I am back further, he sits with his knees out and therefor prefers the narrower stock seat. I can't get my wife anywhere near the max to make an informed decision about what she prefers. I'd like to sell one of them, but will hold off for a while yet.

Another issue was that the Corbin fit perfect on the Max with the stock grab rail. when I put on the Yamaha backrest the extra width of the Corbin couldn't go down between the risers of the backrest all the way, so the two bolts couldn't go in to fix the seat on the bike. This wasn't a big problem, I just ran it with no bolts and it made it easier to fill up with gas. I'd just lift the whole seat off and put it back on when done. That small hole in the seat to get to the gas cap is small for my hand and getting the gas nozzle down far enough was marginal. Those were small issues and it really did worked out fine, the real issues are sitting back further and extra width in the Corbin. If you ever like to sit way back on the seat and lean way forward like a sportbike, than the Corbin is the seat for you, there is not the big rise in the seat between the front and back seat areas.

I'll try to get pictures of both seats and see if anyone can ID the Corbin age, I know they went through some design changes in the refueling area at some point, but don't know much about it. Also, I don't know the worth of the Corbin, so maybe someone could ballpark it for me as I am leaning to selling that one.

Steve

I've got both, Sportmax and an older Corbin (don't know how old). I like both a lot, with the Sportmax I sit 2-3 inches closer to the front than the Corbin and the Corbin is an inch wider where I sit to put my feet down, this would be a problem for a person with shorter legs , I'm just over 6' so no big deal. My son may like the width better in the back, but since I am back further, he sits with his knees out and therefor prefers the narrower stock seat. I can't get my wife anywhere near the max to make an informed decision about what she prefers. I'd like to sell one of them, but will hold off for a while yet.

Another issue was that the Corbin fit perfect on the Max with the stock grab rail. when I put on the Yamaha backrest the extra width of the Corbin couldn't go down between the risers of the backrest all the way, so the two bolts couldn't go in to fix the seat on the bike. This wasn't a big problem, I just ran it with no bolts and it made it easier to fill up with gas. I'd just lift the whole seat off and put it back on when done. That small hole in the seat to get to the gas cap is small for my hand and getting the gas nozzle down far enough was marginal. Those were small issues and it really did worked out fine, the real issues are sitting back further and extra width in the Corbin. If you ever like to sit way back on the seat and lean way forward like a sportbike, than the Corbin is the seat for you, there is not the big rise in the seat between the front and back seat areas.

I'll try to get pictures of both seats and see if anyone can ID the Corbin age, I know they went through some design changes in the refueling area at some point, but don't know much about it. Also, I don't know the worth of the Corbin, so maybe someone could ballpark it for me as I am leaning to selling that one.

Steve

Does it have the velcro patch or the plug for the fuel area?

The plug makes it MUCH easier to fill the tank and is the newer design.:thumbs up:

Velcro, no plug. So it is an older seat.

One other thing is that you loose all that storage room under the passenger seat.

Steve

My son may like the width better in the back, but since I am back further, he sits with his knees out and therefor prefers the narrower stock seat. I can't get my wife anywhere near the max to make an informed decision about what she prefers. I'd like to sell one of them, but will hold off for a while yet.

Which one? The wife or son? I may be in the market......:rofl_200:

J/K brother.....

Rusty

Latest posts

Back