Why is my oil level rising?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPure

Reaction score
So I have this strange problem. My bike leaks oil from just about every gasket and seal, but after about a 30 mile ride my oil level goes up about 1/8" on the site glass. This is parked in the same place on ctr stand when being checked. I know it's not adding oil to itself. I drained it the first time I noticed this problem, and it's not water. So that leaves one thing it could be. How can gas get into the oil other than just washing down through the cyl's? Has anyone had this problem before on their Max? Here's the other thing that's a curve ball to me.... it seems to run just fine while this problem is happening. Idles great, runs good. This problem never occured until after I replace my Kerker 4-2 with supertrapp 4-2 and ran some more SeaFoam. I'm thinking the SeaFoam is a contributing factor since I ran it pretty strong. Half a can to about 2 gallons. Drove it 8 miles to the gas station and back and the next day is when I first noticed the oil level rising after riding home from work.

Thanks,
Dale

could be flooding it. You could send a sample of the oil in for anilizing. Not all that expensive to do. I think there may be a few threads about a place that offers it.

Sean

Dale, If you can just get the rate of fill to match the rate of leak, you'll be onto something good. You could probably market it to anyone with a Harley or British bike!

I once had a stuck float that allowed gas to get into the oil. It flowed into the cylinder(s) and then down into the sump. Then flowed out the overflow hose from the airbox to the ground. Was afraid I would get a hydro-lock situation since I had to drive a couple miles to get home. Funny thing is, couldn't tell there was a problem driving it. Must have been a slow leak or came unstuck on the way home or when I tapped it. Scary to come out of Denny's and see gas all over the ground under your bike....

Put a stick into your oil filler opening to get some oil on it, and pull it out and see if the oil smells like gasoline. If it does, don't ride it very far before changing the oil and fixing the problem, because gasoline is not a very good lubricant.

my guess would be a leaking float valve..... the seafoam may have dislodged sum crud and it may be stuck in the valve seat.

my guess would be a leaking float valve..... the sea foam may have dislodged sum crud and it may be stuck in the valve seat.
THIS WOULD BE MY GUESS ALSO , UNLESS YOUR WIFE IS FUCKING WITH YOU & TRYING TO DRIVE YOU CRAZY , ADDING OIL TO IT EVERY TIME YOUR NOT LOOKING !... :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies. Stuck float or leaky needle/seat was my first thought. But shouldn't that cause a very rich burn condition? Unless it's leaking mostly while sitting, but it seems to be going into the oil while it's running. Oh, and yes the oil does smell "gassy". I guess I'm done riding until I find the culprit. Fuck! COP, I thought of the wife or someone at work adding to it too, but like I said, it's while it's running. So ???

Dale

Yep, it's not expansion from heat. The first time I noticed it, I let it set overnite before checking it again just to make sure.

Then I'd go with the guys with a gas leak down unless the oil is milky then it would be a coolant leak. Either way get it diagnosed before putting anymore miles on it. Anything other than oil in the crankcase is not good although I hear burritos & seafoam fix just about anything.:rofl_200:

Yeah, I haven't tried burritos yet, but the SeaFoam.... :bang head:
I think I might throw some duct tape and wire ties in the mix too.

What about air in the oil. That stuff gets whipped around pretty violently and very small air bubbles will make the oil "expand"

What about air in the oil. That stuff gets whipped around pretty violently and very small air bubbles will make the oil "expand"

Shouldn't the air expel after sitting for a period and the level go back down to normal though? And the oil does smell "gassy". I'm pretty convinced that it's gas in the oil. Now just have to find the time to figure out for sure how it's getting there. You're avatar kicks ass btw.

Shouldn't the air expel after sitting for a period and the level go back down to normal though? And the oil does smell "gassy". I'm pretty convinced that it's gas in the oil. Now just have to find the time to figure out for sure how it's getting there. You're avatar kicks ass btw.

Find out for sure if there is gas or antifreeze in your oil.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html

Email them and they will send you sample bottles.

Kevin, thanks for the link. I'm pretty damned convinced that there's gas in there though. So I'm gonna go through the carbs for now and maybe I'll send them a sample from that oil change when it comes around. I was really just hoping that this motor would last til the end of this season because I'm going Venture 1300 short block and going through everything else this winter. BUUUUTTT..........

Dale

In my very slow progress, I've discovered a problem. More than likely THE problem. The right front cyl only has 60psi. Okay, so I THOUGHT it was running fine. Definately doing the Venture swap sooner than later. Thank you SeaFoam!! :eusa_dance: j/k

Latest posts

Back