Windows 10 upgrade.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend keepass2 for password management, open source project and no charge for phone app. I keep my database file in Dropbox then drop my key file on any computer or device that needs access, after that only one password to remember to unlock them all.

What is the best advice to take care of Windows XP? My old lap top and my Dell
desk top run great. I have no need for anything better. I run Norton Virus protection Suit, and Advanced System Care Pro. Is there anything else I can do. I realize There is no support for XP anymore.
Steve

While there is no official support for XP, there are many sites full of XP fans and unofficial support. Check out one of the sites I use: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/38-Windows-XP-Forum

Someone has also put together XP Service Pack 3 with all of the final security fixes and MS updates and IIRC even support to recognize solid state drives.

A simple search and you should find references to it.

I'm fine with XP SP 2 on my PCs as they are mostly for older games and I don't spend much time on the web with them. My router has a firewall and the computers also have software firewalls. I use a great program called Sandboxie for all my computers to create a virtual sandbox for your browsers that blocks everything malicious from hitting your hard drive - as it is trapped inside the sandbox. This one program allows me to go online and visit questionable sites without worrying.

Cloned hard drives are another safeguard against losing data to viruses, trojans, worms, ransomware, etc.

I would recommend keepass2 for password management, open source project and no charge for phone app. I keep my database file in Dropbox then drop my key file on any computer or device that needs access, after that only one password to remember to unlock them all.

The nice thing about LastPass is that it does not use any files to store information. It's all secured online. There are browser plugins, but you may also access it strictly through a browser.

"Only you know your master password, so only you can access your information in your encrypted vault - not even LastPass can. Your data is sealed with AES-256 bit encryption, salted hashing, and PBKDF2 SHA-256. "
Your Dropbox solution is pretty good, but there is still a physical file that can be accessed and decrypted if it gets in to the wrong hands.

Free version:

• Start free on any device
  • Save & fill passwords
  • Secure notes
  • Password generator
  • Two-factor authentication

Premium Version ($12/year):

• Unlimited device sync
  • Shared Family Folder
  • Priority tech support
  • Premium two-factor
  • + LastPass Free features

There is even an Enterprise Version ($24/year):

• For teams of all sizes
  • Central Admin Console
  • Robust sharing
  • Security policies
  • SSO & Active Directory

The nice thing about LastPass is that it does not use any files to store information. It's all secured online. There are browser plugins, but you may also access it strictly through a browser.

"Only you know your master password, so only you can access your information in your encrypted vault - not even LastPass can. Your data is sealed with AES-256 bit encryption, salted hashing, and PBKDF2 SHA-256."
Your Dropbox solution is pretty good, but there is still a physical file that can be accessed and decrypted if it gets in to the wrong hands.

Free version:

• Start free on any device
  • Save & fill passwords
  • Secure notes
  • Password generator
  • Two-factor authentication

Premium Version ($12/year):

• Unlimited device sync
  • Shared Family Folder
  • Priority tech support
  • Premium two-factor
  • + LastPass Free features

There is even an Enterprise Version ($24/year):

• For teams of all sizes
  • Central Admin Console
  • Robust sharing
  • Security policies
  • SSO & Active Directory

I'd rather have an encrypted file in my control that I can put anywhere I chose than use someone else's service. Your data is still out there even if you don't have the file. I use the fuse file system for Dropbox so the encrypted file is encrypted again, in top of that it has two factor authentication since it requires a key file and a password.

Latest posts

Back