Winterizing Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saml01

Reaction score
Whats the procedure with winterizing the Vmax?
My last bike which had gravity fed carbs was simple. I drained the carbs, filled and put stabil in the tank. Done.
This is the first bike I own with a fuel pump. So I ran the carbs dry by unplugging the pump, then drained the rest through the drains while tilting the bike. I filled the tank and put stabil in it. HOWEVER. I had a brain fart and forgot for a moment that this bike has a fuel pump. So now I have drained carbs, a full tank with stabil and a fuel pump that has raw fuel in it.:bang head:

So far its been sitting since Mid November and has another month or two to go at least.

Should I worry about the fuel in the pump coagulating?

Anyone ever have the float needles dry out in a winter?

Im just paranoid.

I did the stabil and start each bike up every two weeks or so. Put a light bulb on the oil pan until warmer if your garage is under 40.

Working so far.

For poops 'n grins over x-mas I went out and started the Vmax when it was 0 degrees (F) outside. The starter missed once or twice as it tends to when it's cold (it's not loose), but once it spun over a couple revolutions it fired right up. No heater, no ether, just the bike.

I've heard more bad things about draining carbs than not. Rubber dries out and cracks, o-rings shrink/leak, and due to surface tension fuel remains inside the actual jet passageways so you can still end up with plugged jets.

Honestly the best prevention against plugged carbs is to just go start it every couple weeks. Let it warm up to normal temp on the choke, then shut the choke off and rev it a few times to get draw through all the carb circuits.

I had used the blue sta-bil in my yamaha 4stroke snowmobile last spring, and this fall it ran like poo. Pilots plugged, crap on the needles, so I'm not really convinced this stabilizer does anything more than lighten my wallet anyway.

I am in MI.

1st of November I put in stabil with a fresh and full tank of gas, run per instructions. Then I start every week and let run till fan comes on once a week.

Around the middle of December I top off the tank with fresh gas already treated with stabil, drain the floats, hook up the Battery Tender, cover the exhaust outlets with plastic bags, and there it will sit till early to mid March when I will remove the bags on the exhaust outlets and start running it every week as stated. Never failed me yet.

My Max is an 05, had since new.

O

I keep mine in a heated basement and turn the key on a weekly basis to keep the bowls filled, start and run for 20/30 min each month with it's exhaust pointed out the door. I have a deep cycle battery charger that I will use to charge the battery if needed but since I've installed the PC-680 there has been no need with the regular running, it always has cranked right up.

I am in MI.

cover the exhaust outlets with plastic bags, and there it will sit till early to mid March when I will remove the bags on the exhaust outlets and start running it every week as stated. Never failed me yet.

O

Bags to prevent moisture from entering?

Bags to prevent moisture from entering?

Usually mice...

Personally I NEVER start mine once parked. I DO park mine in a dry temp and humidity controlled basement, but unless you're able to bring it to running temp for several minutes, you're actually doing more harm than good.

I don't even know if mine will come out this year... :confused2: Just SO busy with my infant son and all...

i just went and fired up my max in the basement and added some fresh new gas after reading this. thanks....

Thanks for the info guys. Im gonna keep the bowls empty but ill probably run the pump into a cup when I change the fuel hoses in a week to get some stabilized fuel into it.

Here is my elaborate procedure

Fill the tank, put in my favorite stabilizer, run the bike for a couple minutes, shut it off and leave it be till next year. Works every time.

Forgot to add that I put a tender on the battery when parked for the winter.

Here is my elaborate procedure

Fill the tank, put in my favorite stabilizer, run the bike for a couple minutes, shut it off and leave it be till next year. Works every time.

Forgot to add that I put a tender on the battery when parked for the winter.

It's your safest bet...

I left my SV exactly this way for 18 months and it popped right off. The fuel HAD lost a couple of octane points though. This year they both got 91 when parked. Thought more was better when sitting... lol

Chris

Back