Won't start after doing the Shotgun

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05Silverado

Reaction score
I started to get the stumble and did the shotgun on the carbs (not my first time). I got everything cleaned and put back together now the bike won't start at all! The bike did run right before I did the shotgun as I was checking to see which side the stumble was coming from. All it does now is crank and every now and then it acts like it is gonna hit but doesn't. Just after trying to start it for for the first time after the shotgun it did backfire out of the left pipe and made a groaning noise out of the right followed by a little white smoke that was very harsh smelling (maybe some carb cleaner left in the carbs?)

Any help as to why it would fire right up before and not start at all after would be greatly appreciated.

Toss some new plugs in it (available at most auto parts stores). Might be all you need to do.
Sean

is there gas in the carbs? make sure ur fuel pump was plugged back in?

Fuel pump is working...I could hear it fill the bowls when I turned the switch. I was planning to pull the plugs tonight after work and taking a look at them. I'll stop by the parts store and pick up some new plugs and give that a try. Thanks for the quick responses!

yea. start with the basics. fuel in carbs, check. spark coming from plugs?

did you turn the a/f screws at all in or out or are they set back to where they were when it was running?

What cleaner did you use to do the Shotgun?

If you get super-carried away spraying Berryman's or other carb cleaner in the carbs, it is possible to do some serious damage to internal rubber parts such as the coasting enrichener diaphrams.

Don't ask me how I know this to be a fact. ;>)

I knew of a certain Vmax that would barely (BARELY) restart after just such a Shotgun routine and that persons' carbs had to be taken off and replacment parts ordered to correct. The loose pieces of the destroyed coasting enrichener diaphrams were found throughout the carbs.

Again, don't ask me how I know this, or who that certain over-zealous carb cleaner user was. Suffice it to say, the bike ran lots better BEFORE the Shotgun than after.

I'm leaning toward the problem being the plugs. I tried getting it running with starting fluid down the carbs with no luck. That makes me think the plugs are fouled up or something of that nature.

like garrett said need to get back to basics, if there is fuel, i bet the plugs are wet or flooded by now and check for spark since you are pulling the plugs, and we can all assume you are not in a nasa vacume tunnel so you got air for the motor. then you can start narrowing it down to components.

Good news! Sean hit the nail on the head....Four new plugs and she's running like a champ!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

had the same issue today. new plugs cleared it right up!

Back