Would you buy a GM today?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always been a GM guy and probably always will when it comes to trucks. Last one I had went 149,000 with not one trip to the dealer for any repair, just self done maintenance and wearables. The front brakes went 110,000 on it.

For the record the Cadillac SRX we own is one of the biggest piles of crap I have ever had the displeasure of owning, its been in the shop 20+ times in 3 years for systematic computer problems affecting every nook and cranny of the car. it's in the process of being traded in on an Infiniti right now. Mechanically and fit finish wise it's been fantastic though.

I always have and still do think Chrysler is # 3 for a reason. Although their product has improved tremendously. Their Styling has too

If it was subcompact, compact or mid size 4 or 2 doors cars I was looking at, domestic only, it would definitely be a Ford, Dodges suck but don't look bad, Chevrolets are fugly and many are made by Isuzu I believe.

Fords body styles are some of the best looking around right now and performance and dependability reviews rave about them.

If I was REALY in that market though I would be looking at Infiniti.

We have had several and had the same experience as with GM trucks, no breakdowns ever and kept for 100.000 plus.

Toyota/Lexus is probably better than Nissan/Infiniti according to most reliability surveys...

But Toyota body styles right now are about as boring as sitting around at a quilting bee, completely uninspired. Everything thing they make has "I'm not really into cars and just own one cause I HAVE to" written all over it.

Always been a GM guy and probably always will when it comes to trucks. Last one I had went 149,000 with not one trip to the dealer for any repair, just self done maintenance and wearables. The front brakes went 110,000 on it.

For the record the Cadillac SRX we own is one of the biggest piles of crap I have ever had the displeasure of owning, its been in the shop 20+ times in 3 years for systematic computer problems affecting every nook and cranny of the car. it's in the process of being traded in on an Infiniti right now. Mechanically and fit finish wise it's been fantastic though.

I always have and still do think Chrysler is # 3 for a reason. Although their product has improved tremendously. Their Styling has too

If it was subcompact, compact or mid size 4 or 2 doors cars I was looking at, domestic only, it would definitely be a Ford, Dodges suck but don't look bad, Chevrolets are fugly and many are made by Isuzu I believe.

Fords body styles are some of the best looking around right now and performance and dependability reviews rave about them.

If I was REALY in that market though I would be looking at Infiniti.

We have had several and had the same experience as with GM trucks, no breakdowns ever and kept for 100.000 plus.

Toyota/Lexus is probably better than Nissan/Infiniti according to most reliability surveys...

but Toyota body styles right now are about as boring as sitting around at a quilting bee, completely uninspired. Everything thing they make says "I'm not really into cars and just own one cause I HAVE to" all over it.

We just got rid of a 1996 Camry V6 w/299,000 miles on it. Still running. My son bought it used from the dealer 2 y.o. & 29K on it, the rest was his until we bought it from him for a third car. My wife drives probably 45K mi./yr for her engineering job.

Someone mentioned consumer reports.

I always thought it hilarious that when they would review a corvettes or the like they would complain about the low over firm seats and too stiff and firm a ride.

Then they'd review a Cadillac or Mercedes road car and complain about the lack of feedback through the wheel, too soft seats and mushy suspension.

CR is GREAT for the data they accumulate and I carry a subscription for that reason, but as far as reviewers opinions they're a bunch of idiots

I use 'em for kitchen or laundry appliances, but going to Consumer's Union for road tests is like going to the WCTU mixer for a 'hot-date.' :rofl_200:
dames.jpg

Someone mentioned consumer reports.

I always thought it hilarious that when they would review a corvettes or the like they would complain about the low over firm seats and too stood a firm a ride.

Then they'd review a Cadillac or Mercedes road car and complain about the lack of feedback through the wheel, too soft seats and mushy suspension.

CR is GREAT for the data they accumulate and I carry a subscription for that reason, but as far as reviewers opinions they're a bunch of idiots

I come from a family of GM owners, my father, brother and I.
Researched a lot before the purchase. Spoke to many with earlier Focus vehicles. Knew how they wrenched (or didn't) on their own vehicles. Knew how many drove, balls out or reserved. Asked how many times in shop or recalled. Spoke to mechanic friends. Still speak to others with same model 4 or 2 door. Have seen MANY similarities occurring among ALL of our cars.
I bought a 08 Ford Focus, the first year that they produced them cam chain rather than a belt. (no maintenance). The 4 door and an automatic transmission. My car currently has 235,000 kms (approx 146,000) on the odometer. Here's a list of items I have done to the vehicle since I bought it in March of 08. All approximate mileage.
3 x air filter changes, TOO many oil and filter changes at approx every 6000 km. Transmission oil change 2x at 115,000 km and 200,000. Spark plugs at 100,000 km. Coolant change 190,000 (my bad to have waited so long). Front brake pads and rotors at 210,000 km, rear drums and pads 225,000. Front sway bar end links both sides 60,000 km.
Met another 08 owner with 380,000 km on the clock. Much of it is highway like mine, but still, from a 4 banger?!
Squeeks from rear independent bushings etc. Everyone I speak to has this issue. EVERYONE. I spray rust check on them and it goes away for about few hundred km if I'm lucky.
I my opinion, the tranny and motor are solid on this model. As for the body and other items like suspension, well it is what it is for a $20 G vehicle.
The body, paint and plastics, well a little to be desired, but if you live somewhere that you don't have piles of salt calcium being thrown all over for snow and ice removal, you should be feeling a bit better about the body and how it stands up.
Part of my decision to purchase was the made in Illinois sticker. Support local family and friends to the south if I can.
I have been talking it up again with people about the NEW revised motor and tranny Focus and haven't been impressed. I'd hold off to purchase a new Focus for now.
Will I buy another GM? Maybe, but I'm in no rush to since they had HIGHLY disappointed me with a previous vehicle and warranty. A 98 3.1 Grand Prix. Piston Slap, sounded like a diesel. They also did this to my brother with his 02 Slaparado. He's since bought a Toyota Tundra, which we are slowly seeing has issues as well.
ANYHOW. One thing that both my brother and I have made a good decision was with THE VMAX baby!
Harleys are cool.... BUT THE VMAX RULES!
Besides, that's the REAL point of 4 wheels here folks?

Just saying.

Too cold in Sudbury huh?! I concur... and the roads there have suffered from it.
Your ass is left behind as you leave the city.

We just got rid of a 1996 Camry V6 w/299,000 miles on it. Still running. My son bought it used from the dealer 2 y.o. & 29K on it, the rest was his until we bought it from him for a third car. My wife drives probably 45K mi./yr for her engineering job.

I don't disagree at all, probably no one can beat Toyota for dependability.

I still feel the need to be "moved" by a cars presence, styling and appearance, Toyota hasn't done that since the Supra's & early ForeRunners, They're just plain boring to look at.....They are the Honda of the automotive world...."safe" inoffensive styling taken to an extreme....It is a sure bet that no one will ever hate a Toyota for it's over the top styling, but they won't sit in their garage and gaze at it either, they'll just park it, go inside and watch TV.....:rofl_200:

The FJ is the only interesting thing I think they build now

Honestly you know who I think is building some of the best LOOKING 4 door sedans right now?

Hyundai!!

Yeah, I said it...go check them out

Last edited:
But Toyota body styles right now are about as boring as sitting around at a quilting bee, completely uninspired. Everything thing they make has "I'm not really into cars and just own one cause I HAVE to" written all over it.

Nailed it for me with Toyota. A good friend has a Rav4 they're bringing by today for me to look at. Their father in law bought it a couple of years ago but health conditions have eliminated his ability to drive. So its barely been driven. Thing is Im just not a fan of its style. But practicality wise I know it will be reliable(I had an '85 Toyota pickup I put 400k on) -- and they're willing to sell it WAY cheaper than what I've been looking at. Only downside is their safety/crash rating isn't very good. And considering the missus driving record that definitely needs to be a factor.

But I'm gonna take a look at it. I've also got an appointment to check out a '13 Ford Focus 5Dr Titanium with 11k miles for $18k tomorrow -- which seems to be a pretty darn good price considering that trim comes with every option. And it will get better gas mileage and has a better crash/safety rating.

Prior to starting this tread I had actually gone to a Chevy dealer and made an offer on a Sonic but they turned the offer down... or I should say I stood my ground while they tried every trick in the book. I walked away. And I'm glad I did because it got me thinking about the whole GM thing. Interestingly enough they called me yesterday and said they'd sell it for what I had offered. Just not really interested now.

I don't disagree at all, probably no one can beat Toyota for dependability.

I still feel the need to be "moved" by a cars presence, styling and appearance, Toyota hasn't done that since the Supra's & early ForeRunners, They're just plain boring to look at.....They are the Honda of the automotive world....

Wow, guess I was wrong. I thought Honda was the "Honda of the automotive world" - - :rofl_200:

My current ride is a Scion frs....in the rest of the world Its called a Toyota GT-86. It has styling...power...and gets 34 mpg at 80 mph.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

My current ride is a Scion frs....in the rest of the world Its called a Toyota GT-86. It has styling...power...and gets 34 mpg at 80 mph.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

I love those FR-S and the Suburus BRZ

Suburu manufactures the Scion FR-S in its entirety.

Toyota couldn't figure out how to build a car than cool and got Suburu to do it for them.

I love those FR-S and the Suburus BRZ

Suburu manufactures the Scion FR-S in its entirety.

Toyota couldn't figure out how to build a car than cool and got Suburu to do it for them.

I was always told it was a Toyota body....and the suburu FA 20 engine? The FA 20 was in the WRX.

Here is a pic for people that dont know what we are talking about. And mine is Black......of course.

Vortec makes a supercharger kit for it.

Attachments

• 2013-scion-fr-s-by-greddy_600x0w.jpg
    2013-scion-fr-s-by-greddy_600x0w.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 10
Too cold in Sudbury huh?! I concur... and the roads there have suffered from it.
Your ass is left behind as you leave the city.

Frost does beat on our roads pretty bad, as does the Slurry trucks running back and forth from the mine sites.

Last years frost was up to 7 1/2 feet deep in the ground.

Mike

I think the Focus is well-respected as a world-class car in its price range.

I had to drive a friend's Focus a couple months back. My thoughts on the thing...
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS PIECE OF SHIT???

Seriously! The steering had ZERO feel to it, and was tickle with a freakin pubic hair light. The throttle was way to light and I felt it was half impossible to keep the damn thing at a steady rate of speed. And the brakes... NO feel to them what-so-ever, and EXTREMELY touchy! Not only that, the car was just plain uncomfortable to sit in. The seat felt wrong... just wrong. As far as compact cars go, I would recommend something older. I had a couple Cavaliers I loved, (93 & 94) and the only issue I had with the 94 was a blown water pump, which caused the car to overheat, warping the head. That car gave me several years of good, economical use though. The 94 was even better, until I wrecked it. (fell asleep behind the wheel due to exhaustion) The front end was obliterated, but I walked away with nothing more than a strained back muscle.

The Suzuki Aerios are pretty good, with the only issue I had with them was a reoccuring issue with the thermostat becoming stuck in the open position. I got good mileage from mine, and would have had excellent mileage if I hadn't played tuner with it and drove it like it was stolen.

I recommend finding a good, older vehicle, personally. Not only will a well maintained one do quite well for you, but if you do have to work on it, they are much easier to do so than today's vehicles.

I think your right about Toyota designing the body, all the info I can find says the whole car is built at a Suburu plant. May e Toyota sends them the bodies.

Either way I really like them. The Suburu flat 4 is an incredible engine.

I am surprised they didn't put the full STI type package in those cars, would have been a hell of a debut

Latest posts

Back