Yamaha vmax 1700 competition coming fast from UK ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the article:

Final result: 10.562 seconds at 126.41 mph.

After 17 passes, what does it mean that one of the greatest drag racers of all time was able to carve 139 thousandths of a second from the Triumph’s initial elapsed time? That’s a bike length at the end of the quarter-mile, absolute domination in an actual race. But really it shows how truly fast the Rocket 3 R is for such a big motorcycle. Its consistency also begs for choice mods to launch it harder and burn the quarter-mile faster.

That's slower than Pee Wee Gleason ran on the VMax in 1985. The legend continues. Its engine is >2X the Gen I engine size, and it still can't get it done.

Last edited:
From the article:

Final result: 10.562 seconds at 126.41 mph.

After 17 passes, what does it mean that one of the greatest drag racers of all time was able to carve 139 thousandths of a second from the Triumph’s initial elapsed time? That’s a bike length at the end of the quarter-mile, absolute domination in an actual race. But really it shows how truly fast the Rocket 3 R is for such a big motorcycle. Its consistency also begs for choice mods to launch it harder and burn the quarter-mile faster.
That's slower than Pee Wee Gleason ran on the VMax in 1985. The legend continues. Its engine is >2X the Gen I engine size, and it still can't get it done.

Yes it is.

Jay also rode Tim Nash's stock Gen 2 and ran 9.91 in the 1/4.

Dunno, the R3 is looking pretty damn good there for the 2nd gen. If it has the headroom for being breathed on that the 1st gen did then they might become a tough nut to crack at the drag strip. It would also be interesting to see if, and how the tables might turn if they are squared off from rolling starts to gauge how much of a handicap all that girth is to launching competitively.

I realize this is a discussion of ET, but depending on fuel range of the R3 it might have addressed the two issues that kept me off the Gen2 VMX (highly subjective aesthetics and fuel range). If a 1st gen R3 came my way on the cheap I would snap it up, I wont lie. I cant warm up to the looks of the 2nd gen Vmax but I'm unconvinced the R3 can match any modern Yamaha in build quality and reliability. I also suspect that weight will keep it from doing a lot of Vmax spanking at the strip.

I guess the next model year or two will reveal a lot about the potential of the R3R/GT.

I think an R3 properly equipped could be a fun tourer because it has tons of TQ and has good range. I'm pretty sure used ones can be picked up for a fairly good price, at least that's what I thought last time I looked.

As far as riding one the way I ride my Gen 2, no chance. The VMax is much more comfortable in the twisties and it gives sport bike owners fits on straightaways.

As far a "aesthetics" go the R3 only looks good from one side......that's hard for me to get past.

I only mostly hear Gen 1 owners not liking the Gen 2's looks. I've never had any of the hundred or so people that have taken a close look at my Gen'2's say they were ugly........not to my face anyway, just the opposite. Maybe they are just polite. LOL

a mate of mine (sadly passed away) used to have one of the first ROCKET 111's, I told him it was ugly and he told me everything I had was ugly :D, he told me it was superfast but he couldn't keep up with me on my then HONDA SLR650 off the line and never came past until I was near 70mph,
having looked close up at the new Rocket I think the finish is low standard and it does not appeal to me in any way, it's better looking but still ugly,
I like aspects of the gen 2 Vmax, the engine is superb but I just couldn't live with how 'fat' everything is compared to the gen 1

I always felt like grape ape when I rode my gen 1, but I also went from a Goldwing to the gen 1. I like the size of the 2nd gen. I'm cornering this thing hard.... So hard I'm dragging the rear brake lever. Just something about the gen 1, I didn't like leaning that far, I always felt uneasy....I know it was because it felt small to me. I'd drag the floor boards, and engine guards on my Goldwing all the time. A buddy of mine got schooled the hard way about the power of the Vmax. He just recently got a Yamaha yz09 piped, tuned, all the goodies. 60mph roll on first time I kept in 5th gear, he walked me a bike length but we kept up neck to neck I didn't gain, but I didn't lose and he was shifting gears.... The second time I launched in 2nd gear, and schooled him.... He couldn't believe it, he was in total disbelief.... I even slipped the clutch a bit going for a bit of a smokey pass, but having a brand new rear, it just carried the front tire lol.... At around 125 I let out of it, so he thinks he started catching me lol, I have to remind him I let off....I see a rematch in the future now that he "has leathers" lol. He just butt hurt, lol. I might try 3rd gear.

Back