Your best long distance rides.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
P1020650.jpg

Not my picture, but I was cruising a forum and saw it and it made me think of the best rides long distance that I ve been on and wondered about yours?

Todd

All my long-hauls have been great, but I guess 2008 was the best, because of the diversity,(people and places) and time away.
From home on the east coast, across the midwest and west northern states to the coast, up thru B.C. and Alberta (mini-tours thru the interior with a buddy from Calgary, then a week out of the saddle, into a cage, for another trip with my wife, thru the Rockies.)
Then back on Frankenmax, up to the Yukon and Alaska. Then across the northern prairies and Ontario, dropping down to the U.S. again , back home via Kentucky , Ohio, The Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive, finally north thru New England.
63 days, 22k kilometers, 600 photos - and only 8 days of rain!
I have been meaning to do an album of this trip, just haven't "gotaroundtoit". I'll try this weekend.
There is a support group in my town, for people that procrastinate.
I just haven't got around to going to a meeting, as yet.

Cheers!
p.s. of all the places I've visited, Chicken is dearest to my heart. An old mining town, population 30, "swells to 80, during the summer". Dirt roads in and out, no winter access. No power, only generators. No internet, no cell phone service . The saloon is the only place to eat&drink. The three-legged dog, an employee, is very friendly. The bartender is usually drunk.
I'd like to do the north again, particularly Chicken, but not solo. It's hard to find folks with the time or interest to go that far.

Attachments

• Highway to the Sun  Montana '08.jpg
    Highway to the Sun Montana '08.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Sweet Home, Oregon '08.jpg
    Sweet Home, Oregon '08.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Chicken, AK '08.jpg
    Chicken, AK '08.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 61
  • Two cruisers, Haines AK.jpg
    Two cruisers, Haines AK.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Albino Sasquash sighting Alberta '08.jpg
    Albino Sasquash sighting Alberta '08.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 80
lol, what is up with the last photo? Does a bear shit in the woods? That is definitely not something you see on your every day road trips.

lol, what is up with the last photo? Does a bear shit in the woods? That is definitely not something you see on your every day road trips.

Tex - an extremely rare albino Sasquatch. Very few sightings, they are timid creatures.
This creature sexually molested me, for hours, in my tent, while I was at a campsite in Alberta.
It eventually escaped back into the woods, screaming in terror, after I inadvertently left the tent flap open..........

........actually, a photo of yours truly, taken by my wife. Sent it home to friends and co-workers, together with a few others, while I was still touring. They loved it! (I've cut my hair since then)
I've never pretended to be "normal", Tex. Probably something to do with digging motorcycles???:ummm:
Cheers!

My trip from Houston to DC was pretty terrible the first day. 17 hours on the bike with 10 of that in the rain. Somewhere in Tennessee I pulled into a truck stop because I was about to pee in my pants, but it looked so sketchy I just got back on the road until I found a KFC. The second two days were fun, though. I did a day to and through the dragon and a day of blue Ridge Parkway/skyline drive before pulling into my parents' house just in time for dinner. We'll see how this summer's trip goes if the bike is running smoothly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

How do you do that? Tried to go to San Francisco from LA recently (380 miles). Get frozen to death, tired of stopping for gas refills (4 total), been deaf with noize in my head for the next day, shoulder muscles sore. For a couple of days can not come close to a motorcycle:) Average speed was 80 mph, took 7 hours to get there. You guys must be heroes to take such a trips. I mostly riding around town, don't have a windshield, but still... Not to say it wasn't fun at all!

"It's hard to find folks with the time or interest to go that far." I can accompany you on the voyages in California. This summer? But looks like i will use my truck:)

How do you do that? Tried to go to San Francisco from LA recently (380 miles). Get frozen to death, tired of stopping for gas refills (4 total), been deaf with noize in my head for the next day, shoulder muscles sore. For a couple of days can not come close to a motorcycle:) Average speed was 80 mph, took 7 hours to get there. You guys must be heroes to take such a trips. I mostly riding around town, don't have a windshield, but still... Not to say it wasn't fun at all!

careful gear selection, earplugs, camelback, good seat or cover (airhawk,beads,etc...).

Once you do a well-prepared long trip, you'll want to do another. I still remember my first meet and greet dinner ride with my VTX. I didn't have earplugs or the right jacket and pants. I went out with my mesh jacket, jeans, boots that didn't fit quite right, and an HJC helmet that was noisy. An hour each way with falling temperatures in Houston and I was MISERABLE by the end of the night. After that I started reading a LOT about long distance motorcycling, gear choice, food selection, hydration, and everything else that real travel involves. I'm an ATGATT guy, and I don't mind walking into a store looking like a power ranger. It's worth it to me to remain comfortable and alert even when commuting or just going out for an hour or two.

I've done a few Spokane to San Francisco trips on the VMax -- that's all the further I've ever gone on Max.

But those trips can't compare to my trip from Spokane to Alaska n back on my Russian made Ural sidecar rig.:

Norms427, what is the windscreen on Ural? Stock? Can it be fitted on Vmax?

All my long-hauls have been great, but I guess 2008 was the best, because of the diversity,(people and places) and time away.
From home on the east coast, across the midwest and west northern states to the coast, up thru B.C. and Alberta (mini-tours thru the interior with a buddy from Calgary, then a week out of the saddle, into a cage, for another trip with my wife, thru the Rockies.)
Then back on Frankenmax, up to the Yukon and Alaska. Then across the northern prairies and Ontario, dropping down to the U.S. again , back home via Kentucky , Ohio, The Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive, finally north thru New England.
63 days, 22k kilometers, 600 photos - and only 8 days of rain!
I have been meaning to do an album of this trip, just haven't "gotaroundtoit". I'll try this weekend.
There is a support group in my town, for people that procrastinate.
I just haven't got around to going to a meeting, as yet.

Cheers!
p.s. of all the places I've visited, Chicken is dearest to my heart. An old mining town, population 30, "swells to 80, during the summer". Dirt roads in and out, no winter access. No power, only generators. No internet, no cell phone service . The saloon is the only place to eat&drink. The three-legged dog, an employee, is very friendly. The bartender is usually drunk.
I'd like to do the north again, particularly Chicken, but not solo. It's hard to find folks with the time or interest to go that far.

Not going to lie. I'm incredibly jealous/envious of that trip you made. And you did it on a VMax? That's rather epic sir!

Not going to lie. I'm incredibly jealous/envious of that trip you made. And you did it on a VMax? That's rather epic sir!

Miles' Vmax is a very unique motorcycle. It has a lot of well thought out mods done to it to make a capable tourer. I'll leave the details of how Frankenmax is setup to Miles.
The Vmax motor is a capable motor (see the venture) but I too commend Miles for making a trip of such distance. If I'm real lucky maybe I can go with Miles on his next trip.:punk:

Well, this is my first year of V-Maxxing after a number of FJs. My first trip this year was a trip through Southern Ontario in late May. The first week in August, I left Northern Ontario to drive to Sturgis for the big biker event (one part of 1700 kms in 21 hours) where I met up with some Mexican biker friends and passed a few days together including seeing Jackyl (a great rock band) in the Full Throttle Saloon and the Devil´s Tower in Wyoming.
After leaving, I headed to Mexico with another run of over 1600 kms in 22 hours stopping in Laredo to legalize my bike in Mexico. The next day, I headed out for Mexico City wiith a quick sleep in San Luis Potosi.
I have been staying with the Santa Muertes in their clubhouse. I have gone to bike events in Leon and Mratehuala for a peyote event.
Just recently returned from a 4,000 km trip to Cancun and yesterday my wife and I visited the pyramids at Teotihuacan which are the largest except for in Egypt. Climbed the largest wearing full leather gear and got a lot of strange looks. Although not as many strange looks as when my brother and I carried golf clubs up a glacier in the Canadian Rockies to whack golf balls. Another story!!
I love the stories of the trips, keep riding!!:punk:

Last edited:
Norms427, what is the windscreen on Ural? Stock? Can it be fitted on Vmax?

The Ural has a National Cycle windshield and I think it's called Plexiglass 3. I have an almost identical one by N/Cycle on my VMax. I bought the VMax shield many years ago and I think the new ones by NC are a bit different, but close. N/Cycle lists one for a VMax but if in doubt call customer service for fitment questions.

p.s. of all the places I've visited, Chicken is dearest to my heart.

I agree. For those not familiar with the area, Chicken is on the Top of the World road which is about 50/50 paved and dirt. Very scenic ride.

Next time I want to go north from Chicken up to Eagle.

Mr. Kronx-
My 2010 trip was also enjoyable, but not as long. Only five weeks, 18 k. kilometers. But it did include a visit to a place that I had always dreamed of visiting - St. Louis!
Check out the album of pics of this trip, in my "personal profile"(or whatever it's called)

Redbone Miles' Vmax is a very unique motorcycle. It has a lot of well thought out mods done to it to make a capable tourer. I'll leave the details of how Frankenmax is setup to Miles. The Vmax motor is a capable motor (see the venture) but I too commend Miles for making a trip of such distance. If I'm real lucky maybe I can go with Miles on his next trip[/I said:
Thanks, Brian!
It will never be a Wing or an Ultra-Glide, but Frankenmax does get me where I want to go, in reasonable comfort. The lowered &reshaped seat and higher rise & pullback bars give the bike more of a cruiser geometry, which will further be enhanced this winter, when I move the footpegs forward and down a bit. The large fairing and windscreen stop the wind and rain nicely. The trunk and softbags, and converted passenger seat storage provide more than enough space for solo touring. The six liter auxiliary tank gives me a range of about 300 k. before reserve.
The Venture pumpkin increased mileage, but more importantly lowered the revs just enough to get out of that "buzzy" 4-4.5 grand area, when at highway speeds. No more hand numbness, or fuzzy mirrors!
Next trip, you say? What aboot Manitoulin Island, with Sudbury Mike?
p.s. another mod this winter - a lanyard for that oil filler thingee.

I agree. For those not familiar with the area, Chicken is on the Top of the World road which is about 50/50 paved and dirt. Very scenic ride.
Next time I want to go north from Chicken up to Eagle.
Mr. Norm-
Yup, that 100 kilometers or so from Chicken to the Canadian border was heart-stopping. Mostly mud when I went thru, sometimes single lane, with 18 wheelers coming at you, and passing. I don't think I exceeded 40 kph until I hit pavement again. NEWS FLASH - the Vmax wasn't designed as a dirtbike. Go figure.
The funny part - I was concentrating sooo much trying to keep the bike upright in the dirt and mud, that when I finally got to a pavement patch, I decided to dismount for a rest, and check for bike damage. Well......I forgot to put the sidestand out, over she went! I had to laugh at this tipover. The trucker that stopped to help me got a kick out of it as well.
All of this was worthwhile, however, because of the incredible beauty of the Top Of The World highway, and the next town -Dawson. What a place!
Wooden sidewalks, paddlewheeler steamships in the Yukon river, honky-talk bars, drunks in the streets at 10 a.m. Gold prospectors in town for supplies, etc. kinda like the 1870's wild west, only north.
If you plan on heading north again, give me a shout!
Your Ural hack is much better suited for dirt than my bike, but with you as company I would feel more comfortable tackling bigger fish - such as the Dawson Highway. I'd like to get Frankenmax above the Arctic circle. We could stop and see K.J., in Fairbanks.
I've visited the link to your son's photography a few times. He certainly led an exciting life, albeit a short one. Sorry for your loss.

Cheers, everybody!Arch at St.Louis, '010 trip.jpg

Road from Chicken to Dawson, '08.jpg

Redbone Miles' Vmax is a very unique motorcycle. It has a lot of well thought out mods done to it to make a capable tourer. I'll leave the details of how Frankenmax is setup to Miles. The Vmax motor is a capable motor (see the venture) but I too commend Miles for making a trip of such distance. If I'm real lucky maybe I can go with Miles on his next trip[/I said:
Thanks, Brian!
It will never be a Wing or an Ultra-Glide, but Frankenmax does get me where I want to go, in reasonable comfort. The lowered &reshaped seat and higher rise & pullback bars give the bike more of a cruiser geometry, which will further be enhanced this winter, when I move the footpegs forward and down a bit. The large fairing and windscreen stop the wind and rain nicely. The trunk and softbags, and converted passenger seat storage provide more than enough space for solo touring. The six liter auxiliary tank gives me a range of about 300 k. before reserve.
The Venture pumpkin increased mileage, but more importantly lowered the revs just enough to get out of that "buzzy" 4-4.5 grand area, when at highway speeds. No more hand numbness, or fuzzy mirrors!
Next trip, you say? What aboot Manitoulin Island, with Sudbury Mike?
p.s. another mod this winter - a lanyard for that oil filler thingee.[/QUOTE]
Manitoulin sounds good Miles, maybe we could also go north to one of the mine towns to see what there is to see.
Ah yes, the oil cap that went for a high speed blast with little more than careful placement to secure it. Our testing proves that the Vmax indeed does need a oil cap to keep the oil inside of the engine!:biglaugh:

I've been in Alaska/Yukon twice but never on a bike, first was on dog sleds and snowmobiles - second was on a cruise ship. I'd love to go back and do some exploring on a bike, some of the best fun I had was blasting around Spain on a KTM with a bunch of friends

Most trips I take on Max would be around Ireland but you can't get more than 100km from the sea, took her over to France once on the ferry but they were all crazy and drove on the wrong side of the road :biglaugh:

Mr. Norm-
Yup, that 100 kilometers or so from Chicken to the Canadian border was heart-stopping. Mostly mud when I went thru, sometimes single lane, with 18 wheelers coming at you, and passing. I don't think I exceeded 40 kph until I hit pavement again. NEWS FLASH - the Vmax wasn't designed as a dirtbike. Go figure.
The funny part - I was concentrating sooo much trying to keep the bike upright in the dirt and mud, that when I finally got to a pavement patch, I decided to dismount for a rest, and check for bike damage. Well......I forgot to put the sidestand out, over she went! I had to laugh at this tipover. The trucker that stopped to help me got a kick out of it as well.
All of this was worthwhile, however, because of the incredible beauty of the Top Of The World highway, and the next town -Dawson. What a place!
Wooden sidewalks, paddlewheeler steamships in the Yukon river, honky-talk bars, drunks in the streets at 10 a.m. Gold prospectors in town for supplies, etc. kinda like the 1870's wild west, only north.
If you plan on heading north again, give me a shout!
Your Ural hack is much better suited for dirt than my bike, but with you as company I would feel more comfortable tackling bigger fish - such as the Dawson Highway. I'd like to get Frankenmax above the Arctic circle. We could stop and see K.J., in Fairbanks.
I've visited the link to your son's photography a few times. He certainly led an exciting life, albeit a short one. Sorry for your loss.

Cheers, everybody!

I'll give a holler next time I go north to The Last Frontier. Next time I may take my KLR 650.

I laughed out loud about laying the bike over!

Thanks for the nice words regarding my son. I miss him like hell … and always will.

A view from "Top of the World":

Back