Bend over grab ankles..... No vaseline either

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps I missed it somewhere but how come I have not seen the name of the offending shop/dealership? Is there some unspoken rule about omitting it when you are slamming them ? It is not slanderous talk, it is factual documention and statements from the dealer themselves. I think everyone that has a bad experience should post it loud and clear just like a certain someone mentions their bad experience with COO every chance he gets. There is even a thread for this kind of stuff isn't there?:bang head:

Actually it's UFO but thanks Pat...:biglaugh:

I've got no beef with Tom at COO. He just doesn't answer his emails very well. If you call him he's great to deal with.

I know what I can do and what I can't do and a motorcycle mechanic I am not and I would never know it was right because I do not know what right is... I feel much better paying a professional to do it right and who has a dyno.. the problem is I picked the wrong mechanic the first time....

Tom from C.O.O. , my sincerest retraction for inadvertently mentioning your company in a less than perfect light. My brain fart. PatMax:bang head:

I've owned a lot of bikes over the years, and usually been less than happy with dealership service. The V-max put me over the fence in a big way, I wouldn't let any of the local jokers touch my bike again.

In every instance since I bought Max, the experienced builders from this forum have been right, and the dealer has been dead wrong. I've had the chance to ride RagingMain's bike, which is one of Sean's 1340's and frankly it burns my mostly stock Max down to the tires. (when Fargo doesn't have it in a million pieces anyway :rofl_200:).

Fortunately for me, I ride with a pack of hogs, so I'm still the shark in the goldfish bowl, by a long way.

The guys here are polite, patient, helpful, generous.... everything the dealer isn't. Screw dealers. Like a previous poster mentioned, they just want to slap plug and play extras on your bike and get their check.

This forum and the people on it are a better resource than anything Yamaha could have come up with if they tried, which they don't.

I agree with you for the most part, I agree there are a lot of people on this forum that know the VMAX well. I was lucky to find a bike shop who has a good mechanic once I left the dealership and I just got a call to let me know my VMAX is ready and finally working right..

I'll be starting a new thread with my results when I get home later tonight.

I've actually found one of the few good dealerships in the country that has a mechanic that not only knows what a vmax is, but rides one himself. I mostly work on the max myself but have used him a couple times.

eagle, fwiw, if you're not going to do the maintenance yourself and must depend on your dealer, it's going to be much, much more critical for you to keep up on your periodic maintenance, winterizing, etc. If, for example, you gum up your carbs because you let it sit for extended periods unserviced, you'll play hell getting it back to proper running order.

If, OTOH, you're willing to head to Sears and buy some metric tools and have a little patience, the guys around here can help bail you out of most any screw up with good advice.

I hope you've found a good tech guy, but as you know finding someone with a little gray hair on the temples that understands it can be a challenge.

I found one with no gray hairs at all..........lol I will continue to go to him as long as he is around. At the same time I will do my own work when I can, I just have a different view when it comes to carb work, in my mind having a dyno is valuable if used by someone who knows how to use it and also tune a bike.

I'll be changing out my new seats that I plan to order from Sean in the near future...........lol baby steps:punk:

In every instance since I bought Max, the experienced builders from this forum have been right, and the dealer has been dead wrong. I've had the chance to ride RagingMain's bike, which is one of Sean's 1340's and frankly it burns my mostly stock Max down to the tires. (when Fargo doesn't have it in a million pieces anyway :rofl_200:).
This forum and the people on it are a better resource than anything Yamaha could have come up with if they tried, which they don't.

Bob, my Vmax Killer...1300 Vmax, will be even stronger after I install the stage 3 cams Sean is sending me:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance: Even more midrange than you felt before:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:. Oh yeah lets not forget the top end as well :clapping::clapping::clapping:

And yes because of this forum I feel comfortable having my bike in a millon pieces twice a year. Its funny, my GF just comes out to the garage, shakes her head and asks "When are you going to get that thing running, I want to go for a ride" I just smile and say "Soon Sweetheart Soon"
As if I tear it apart just because.....(ok sometimes I do just to learn) :biglaugh: but dont tell her that.
Cheers

\I was lucky to find a bike shop who has a good mechanic once I left the dealership and I just got a call to let me know my VMAX is ready and finally working right..

I'll be starting a new thread with my results when I get home later tonight.

COOL! Hope it all works out for you this time.

This is what your Morleys Muscle Kit will do for your bike when it is set up right.
See the A/F and the torque curves, so flat you can eat off them :eusa_dance:
Mains are 157.5, everything else is stock.
This was in Topeak at their elevation.

When I came back to So Cal (sea level) it was lean in the idle and mid range circuits so I had to up my slow jets from 37.5 to 40. My screws were at 5 turns out, with the 40s they are now set just around 2.

Hope this gives you some hope :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Cheers

Attachments

• Topeka Dyno.jpg
    Topeka Dyno.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 32
My doubt has never been in Sean's kit....... the first mechanic didn't know shit and lied.

This new shop the mechanic hasn't worked on many VMAX'S but he knows his stuff and is smart enough to use Sean as a resource.

I'll know tomorrow how my bike turns out ( I hope )

Ron

Last edited:
Well this will be a easy fix or a expensive one.......lol Sean and my new mechanic seem to think the bike ran rich for so long that the plugs are all fouled, I'm hoping that is it.

If not we are going to put the bike back to stock and the new mechanic will do a fresh install of the kit and that will cost me another $300 + now the new mechanic is chasing the screw ups of the first one and they keep charging me by the hour. If I go back to stock and then they do the kit I'll be charged for that but after that they will do whatever it takes to get the bike running right.

My only fear is what seems running right to someone who hasn't riden a VMAX might not be truely right.... when he gave me the bike last time he said it was running great @ 125 Hp and the guys at the shop said "make you you hold on it screms" when I rode it there was a major hesitation from take off and the next morning it ran like shit..

This sucks !!!!!! only good thing is Sean is willing to help anytime. So there is hope.

It'll run right... This is the only downfall to modding a stock bike. You run into these issues from time to time.

Chris

Hi,

Yes it tends to bog from the start and at 3-4k it just runs rough, Oh you were talking to RagingMain......lol

I just came back from the bike shop who is trying to unscrew the dealerships work, they wanted me to test ride it. Ever have a bad day??? :bang head: :confused2:

Had a bad morning with Dish Network then went to test drive my bike so I can tell Charlie ( the new shop mechanic who knows what he is doing ) where it is running rough, I got there and they had just turned my fuel to reserve so I went to the corner gas station to fill up. I left there and crossed the road and a cop in a unmarked car heard my exhaust so he decided to follow me a bit, when I got to a straight part of the road I looked back to make sure the car that I could plainly see wasn't too close to me which it wasn't so I came to a rolling stop and hit the throttle because it was bogging from a start and my VMAX use to jump when I hit it in 1st gear, I did this twice and it bogged but still when it caught my front wheel came off the ground maybe 5-6 inches ( you see what's coming don't ya? ) I continued on the feeder road to the shop and once I got past all the buildings I ran through the gears and it ran rough but I did get up to 80 mph in a 35 mph zone. I pulled into a driveway to turn around and go back to the shop to let Charlie know how it ran, then I see this little maroon car pull up in front of me with all kinds of flashing lights ( red and blue ) It sounds bad but I got a bit of a break, the cop was a Harley rider and when I explained what I was doing he understood what appeared to be me "trying" to pop a wheelie was in fact me trying to see what it was doing from a start when I hit the throttle. He didn't understand why I was doing 80 in a 35 when I had a Interstate right next to me....lol

He said he could get me for 80 in 35, exhibition driving, or loud exhaust, my UFO pipes that were loud before any work was done on my crabs are louder now( kinda rappy ) Charlie thinks some of the baffling may have got burnt out in all the dyno runs I have had on the bike the last 2 weeks, OK back to the cop, he decided to be cool and give me the loud exhaust ticket which was $20 and it wouldn't affect my record at all, the other 2 could have got my license suspended.

The bike is back at the shop and Charlie is going to put it back to stock carbs as it was before the dealership messed it up so he can see how it is suppose to run and then he is going to do a fresh install of Sean's kit.

RagingMain,

Charlie read your post and he is going to start at the same way you did yours to see what happens ( my fingers are crossed ) if it doesn't run good with that he'll start adjusting jets, needles if needed .

They are being very cool and not charging me anymore to do the work only the dyno time which I think is great !!!!

So my bike pain in the ass continues but hopefully soon it will be a smooth riding VMAX

Ron

You might give charlie a ring and let him know to remove the air resticors (an easy out usually works well). That's one thing I overlooked when I talked to him this morning.

S

I called Charlie and he wasn't sure what you meant by the air resticors, can you explain a bit more he also reads this forum.

Thanks

Ron

Yes, they are small brass plugs that restrict the flow of air into the air circuit of the carbs. They are located right next to the jet in the top of the carb. I talked to him and he did see what I was referring too.

Sean

Great,

He said he was working on it late and is going to call me and update me I am waiting with my fingers crossed that everything goes well

Latest posts

Back