What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I need to get a horn from a beemer!!!!

I ordered a headlight and taillight modulator from Kasan for the Max.

I had the headlight modulator on befor I bought the Valkarie, switched it over to the valk and got a "decel tailight" for it. Liked them too much and now a set is going on the Max.

Lew

PS. What is a good horn that is LOUD and still fits in the stock location???

Stebel horns are great. This one can be had for $39 and puts out 139db.
I was thinking about this topic the other day. The twin horns that were on my XS was nice an loud. I think I have them laying around here somewhere. I'm going to have a look-see to see if I can find them.

Had them for a long time---- no problems at all. Just want a second set for the Max.

Gotta have good lights and soon a good horn. I have a Stribel on the Valk and it is painfully loud. But a good place to put it on the Max????
Lew

I think I need to get a horn from a beemer!!!!

I ordered a headlight and taillight modulator from Kasan for the Max.

I had the headlight modulator on befor I bought the Valkarie, switched it over to the valk and got a "decel tailight" for it. Liked them too much and now a set is going on the Max.

Lew

I got a FIAMM Freeway Blaster low tone, from Pep boys. It fits in the stock location. Connects to the stock wires. It's a lot louder than the stock horn, 130 db claimed. It may not be as loud as some of the air horn options, but it's a big improvement over stock, and a easy swap. I think it cost about $19.00.

I got a FIAMM Freeway Blaster low tone, from Pep boys. It fits in the stock location. Connects to the stock wires. It's a lot louder than the stock horn, 130 db claimed. It may not be as loud as some of the air horn options, but it's a big improvement over stock, and a easy swap. I think it cost about $19.00.

I did the same, only I got TWO - both high and low tones.

And, the big difference: I installed a relay powered by the horn button, and ran a power wire straight from the battery (via fuse of course) to the horns through that relay. Unbelievable difference by simply having the full voltage to the horn, rather than going all the way to the horn button and back through a multitude of shitty harness crimps.

Stebel horns are great. This one can be had for $39 and puts out 139db.
I was thinking about this topic the other day. The twin horns that were on my XS was nice an loud. I think I have them laying around here somewhere. I'm going to have a look-see to see if I can find them.

I bought a stebel but couldn't decide where to mount it. It just hung out everywhere.

Made up a manometer and used that to balance my carbs.
Then I used a infrared thermometer to try and get the idle mixtures even.

I got board waiting between Anatomy/Physiology and microbiology classes, so I took the garage door opener out of the Dodge.

I wired up a small momentary button to a stereo headphone type jack. Then I opened up the garage door opener, and wired a female jack. Then put it all together.

opener2.jpg

opener1.jpg

I tested it, and it works great ! :punk:

When I get back from microbiology I'll drill a hole on one of the controls to mount the switch. I'll post some more pictures when I get that done.

Now when I park the Dodge for the summer I'll just take the remote, plug in the switch and let it rest on top of the airbox, and in the fall, just unplug it and put it back in the Dodge. :clapping:

Took a snapshot of the final install.

garageopener.jpg

Put on the Cycle One Off rear brake stay (thanks again bikesponsors.com)

p1030599at.jpg

Then I gave it a bath and then tweaked the carbs to lean her out a bit.

p1030600o.jpg

Then when I was ready to take it out for a ride, I noticed my tags are expired. So, being my bike is a cop magnet with personalized plates, and is the only one like it in town, I'll have to let it sit until Monday, when I ride it to the DMV to get new tags. :bang head:

Steve O and I finished the Morley jet kit install today. All I can say is WOW !!!!!!! Very happy with performance. Thanks Sean for answering the phone so early today I forgot about the time change. I highly recommend this kit to anyone thinking about it just do it. Wish I did it last year.
Can't wait to ride with Steve O and Garrett tomorrow ;)

Enjoy the great weather everyone.

changed out cylinder jacket covers.
20120414_180502.jpg

dry-fitted homemade morley box, no joy--too tall.
homer_doh.thumbnail.jpg

ran around town looking for 2" pipe to make velocity stacks, no joy--might get to eat spaghetti for the next couple weeks, though.

polished the bajeezus out of a virago grab bar
20120414_174037.jpg20120414_173932.jpg20120415_022146.jpg20120415_022158.jpg

Sean has a good eye, he called the box "too-tall," so Ninjaneer will have to re-do it.

Then again, maybe this is the time to cut-up the faux cover for some additional clearance and a wicked set of louvers!

Not about my VMax, but I got some spares for my FZR1000, a beautiful stainless full Supertrapp exhaust, 320 mm front rotors, fuel pump, alternator, headlight ass'y. and downtubes/sliders, I already have a set of triple trees. "Just in-case!"

Attachments

• parts_2012_04_16.zip
    143.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Finally got a radar detector mounted! I hard wired the power, and bought a pair of Fuze custom earbuds. Now I can put my helmet on and the earbuds stay in my ears. Will give the new system a real workout next week traveling to Houston, than Bandera for the Hill country rally, back to Houston, then back to Arkansas.:eusa_dance:

Finally got a radar detector mounted! I hard wired the power, and bought a pair of Fuze custom earbuds. Now I can put my helmet on and the earbuds stay in my ears. Will give the new system a real workout next week traveling to Houston, than Bandera for the Hill country rally, back to Houston, then back to Arkansas.:eusa_dance:

In FL you can use 1 speaker but not 2 by statute.

Latest posts

Back