Flywheel puller offer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
There has been a few threads about pulling flywheels and trouble associated with it and I think I might be able to help.
The puller I made, so far has worked easily without any problems .The design is different from the normal type and that is why I think it works.
Maybe I just got lucky with the ones I pulled off but time may prove or disprove that. Assuming it is working well here is what I can offer..

I could make a f/w puller that anyone can use and send it to Sean if he's willing to get involved with holding it. Board members could contact him and request to borrow it. The user of course will pay all the shipping and MUST return it back to Sean in reasonable time.
All I ask is that the user makes a donation to this website.

If there is interest in this I WILL do it and provided Sean is keen on the idea.

I don't need one at the moment (thank goodness!) ;) but thats one hell of a generous offer, Jedi! If you decide to do it, I know I will take you up on the offer when the time comes. Thanks! Bob

I actually do need to pull the FW, so this would be fantastic (I had a hell of a time last year when I borrowed 3 different gear pullers from autozone and barely made one of them work). Sign me up!

Great offer Jedi! I have not yet had to pull the fly wheel yet (knocking on wood now!) but from the stories I've heard..... having a proven reliable puller to use would be a great!

Jedi -> how woudl it work. I need one desperately! would it use the 3 bolt holes?

Steve, I have no problems doing that at all! BUT, I think you could make me a set of bolts that would be easier to ship and I can send them with one of my craftsman pullers. This won't help garretts current situation but would help most people.

We'd need them to be like PCW's puller bolts. Basically, only a short threaded area then a shouldered bolt form there out. That takes most of the flex out of the bolts which allows for a lot more pulling force to be applied to the center of the pressure foot.

Sean

Steve, I have no problems doing that at all! BUT, I think you could make me a set of bolts that would be easier to ship and I can send them with one of my craftsman pullers. This won't help garretts current situation but would help most people.

We'd need them to be like PCW's puller bolts. Basically, only a short threaded area then a shouldered bolt form there out. That takes most of the flex out of the bolts which allows for a lot more pulling force to be applied to the center of the pressure foot.

Sean

I would also suggest some hardened or stainless bolt bushings to transfer some of the load and take up slack:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bolt+bushing&newwindow=1&safe=off&biw=1920&bih=1017&tbm=isch&imgil=I4ZpAJlf8v8gJM%253A%253BxwgEgV3hmv0FlM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fautofab.com%25252Fi-9943170-killer-bushing-inner-sleeve-3-4-bolt.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=I4ZpAJlf8v8gJM%253A%252CxwgEgV3hmv0FlM%252C_&usg=__ozy4p7FJWoF-06sAIoBxT4sScXo%3D&ved=0ahUKEwi0t5fr4obKAhUN8mMKHdvtDkAQyjcIQg&ei=xnmFVrS8IY3kjwPb27uABA#imgrc=I4ZpAJlf8v8gJM%3A&usg=__ozy4p7FJWoF-06sAIoBxT4sScXo%3D

F53535747.jpg

The puller I made, so far has worked easily without any problems .The design is different from the normal type and that is why I think it works....

Can you upload a picture of the puller you made?

8mm Bolts x 1.25 thread pitch id I remember correctly. I don't have a picture of the tool on my computer but I can try to remember to get one. It is available to loan out but on the very first attempt using it the bolts stripped out on me.

Bushings won't help since the bolts tend to stretch away from them. The trick is all about the bolts.

I went back to my Craftsman puller which always does the trick (removed another one today in fact). The bolts that come with the puller are crap AND I usually sand the pressure head/foot down a little bit on the OD to make sure it will pass through the center of the flywheel and not cause it to bind up in that location.

Can you upload a picture of the puller you made?

There's a link to the post further back but the picture is here.
I have used it several times now and only had one FW give enough grief that it streched/broke a stud but put another in and kept going and had to smack the center of the puller for the first time to get it off.
I think the pullers I sent out only had some shitty generic threaded rod and I should have sent at least some High tensile ones instead.
Next time I send out a package to Sean I'll send some better ones and would be interested to see how it goes.

Attachments

• fw 011 (Large).jpg
    fw 011 (Large).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 49
There's a link to the post further back but the picture is here.
I have used it several times now and only had one FW give enough grief that it streched/broke a stud but put another in and kept going and had to smack the center of the puller for the first time to get it off.
I think the pullers I sent out only had some shitty generic threaded rod and I should have sent at least some High tensile ones instead.
Next time I send out a package to Sean I'll send some better ones and would be interested to see how it goes.

Sounds good Steve!

Mild steel is fine - S'S not necessary unless you want it to look pretty

I would still go with stainless but not for looks. Since the problem with the pullers is stretching of the bolts or pins, stainless offers a tougher material.

Mild steel has a reasonable strength and hardness. However; stainless steel offers several advantages in terms of strength and hardness. It is less ductile than mild steel therefore has lower plastic deformation than mild steel. Less prone to stretching... however that means easier to snap if over-torqued.

Holy crap, I've got the mother of all PITA flywheels here!

I've used heat shock, Sean's whack it method (5 lb sledge) and after going a tit all day the impact gun finally stripped the puller!

Not just any puller either, my older heavy iron one with an ACME thread to take high loads. I've used that old puller to rebuild more engines than I can count so it definately wasn't crap.

I'm also using metric 10.9 bolts.

Been at it all day and not a budge.

So now with my good puller stripped, I'm going to have to try a cheaper one from a local jobber tomorrow.

If it strips too, I don't know what I'm going to do to get this sumbitch off!

I've got the bolt out by the way, I just can't get the damned thing off the crank snout...:bang head:

I'm also going to pick up some big sumbitch tie straps. This thing is probably going to go off like a gunshot when it finally lets go....
runaway.gif

Back