Gas Tank Service/Cleaning?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxflame

Reaction score
my bike has been sitting for about 3 years now, i need to have the bike inspected, and the MC Mechanic i went to recommended having the gas tank cleaned because ethenol in the gas now forms condensation in the tank, thus causing particulates to form. i felt around with my finger in the take and i do feel some debris. i would like to know if anyone had their gas tank cleaned and if they did, is it relatively easy to to by one's self? is there a drain for the tank, this would make it much easier than removing the tank or pumping the tank for cleaning. oh yeah, the mechanic's quote for this job was approx 3hrs @$70/hr
any help or advise would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Yes there is a drain at the bottom. Either way, to do it right, it should be removed from the bike. I find siphoning the fuel out the top cleaner than draining out the bottom.

Cleaning the tank is not all that hard but it is time consuming.

You can do it yourself with a kit for probalby around $50 or less. Go with a reputable name. POR 15, Caswell, are two. There are some others.

I talked to my local radiator shop and they wanted $100 to flush, clean, and coat my tank. I didn't have them do it but the price sounded reasonable to me.

I used the KBS motorcycle tank kit on 3 different bike tanks including my Max. It is a 3 step process. Just don't rush the steps and follow them precisely. Have used the POR process, Kreem and Eastwoods kit also. All but Kreem are ok in my opinion, just like KBS better. The Eastwood kit is the hardest and requires about 12 steps.

thanks for the great advise. i was checking out the tank cleaner kits, but didn't know which to go with, but not it looks like i have some direction to go! i am still curious though, is the tank very difficult to remove? i looked around and i noticed that some said the rear tire needs removed. could anyone give me some good pointers for removing the tank
thanks again everyone

check the how to section here on the forum.
There are instruction on how to remove the rear wheel.
Also, there are instructions on how to remove the fuel tank.

Very easy if you have some basic hand tools. A shop manual would be very handy for you. Look on top of the forum page and click "VMF Links" There is a Yamaha shop manual available for download for free :clapping:

thanks, I didn't even know about the "VMF Links" tab. the files are pretty big, I'm sure these files will help!
thanks again

Thats the best stuff I have ever seen, really did not know you could get a gas tank so clean........

Back