Lever questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmem8

Reaction score
Any Better Levers out there?

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has tried different clutch and brake Levers,(my hands must be a bit short) I have to fully extend my fingers and I only grab levers with the end joint of my fingers which stars to hurt after a while especially when its cold.
:confused2:
Cheers

I heard of a dude who change out the stock lever with some adjustables. However the only adjustables I've been able to find that fit the stock masters are ones from europe and they are not cheap. The cheaper, more affordable adjustables require changing out the masters with something like ones from nissin. There are others, but I can only think of ones that come off of xjr1300

regards from my tapatalking android...

I bet if the poster does a search under 'clutch lever replacement,' 'brake master cylinder,' 'clutch master cylinder,' and the like, he will come-up with several sources for adjustable levers. Remember the cyl. bores for both are 5/8" I believe, so really any same-sized cylinders should work, but you may find some adapting necessary to make brake switch connections, clutch safety switch connections, etc.

Been looking for 5 years. Only ones for Gen 1 are from Europe or Japan and are over $100 each plus high shipping. I would buy in a heartbeat if not so expensive. :bang head:

I bet if the poster does a search under 'clutch lever replacement,' 'brake master cylinder,' 'clutch master cylinder,' and the like, he will come-up with several sources for adjustable levers. Remember the cyl. bores for both are 5/8" I believe, so really any same-sized cylinders should work, but you may find some adapting necessary to make brake switch connections, clutch safety switch connections, etc.

What I want to know is, has someone else already done this?

ebay has some relaly good levers ($24 for pair) for fjr masters

novice question: if one upgrades masters, do you have to upgrade with compatible clutch slave and calipers. or can a cheapskate keep the stock slave and calipers? i concede that one wouldn't obtain the optimal performance without upgraded slave and calipers; but is it technically possible?

I have the short finger syndrome and I use the front brake master cylinder off a cbr900r ,no worries whatsoever and I was using a clutch off a yzf600 which was good but had the reservoir was at a really bad angle so I bought an aftermarket unit from the local bike shop for about $180 with a remote reservoir to match the honda brake cylinder.Ebay is your friend though I did buy the yzf clutch from the UK .Hope this helps.Kevman.

I have the short finger syndrome and I use the front brake master cylinder off a cbr900r ,no worries whatsoever and I was using a clutch off a yzf600 which was good but had the reservoir was at a really bad angle so I bought an aftermarket unit from the local bike shop for about $180 with a remote reservoir to match the honda brake cylinder.Ebay is your friend though I did buy the yzf clutch from the UK .Hope this helps.Kevman.

Thanks Kevman, what year model cbr900r did you use? and will I be able to use that with my stock clutch?
Cheers dude :punk:

Our buddy Wister here on the forum said zx14 masters are a direct bolt on, wich includes bad ass levers.

Any hydraulic masters are direct bolt in that case. Those are good but you also have GSXR as well. Bare in mind size of piston regarding brakes (number of pots - implies oil qtty displacement)

novice question: if one upgrades masters, do you have to upgrade with compatible clutch slave and calipers. or can a cheapskate keep the stock slave and calipers? i concede that one wouldn't obtain the optimal performance without upgraded slave and calipers; but is it technically possible?

You only need the masters (bare in mind different brands use different thread banjo bolts). Regarding piston type depends on kind of calipers you have. For stock calipers i'd say any master will do (normally for 4 or 6 pot calipers)

Use the search function as awhile ago this matter was discussed in depth, and I am sure it was several times before that. I found a chart which specified the optimal # of caliper pistons vs. the cyl. bore size as a spreadsheet, sourced from I think it was Vintage Brakes, I may be a bit rusty on the name, but check the prior entries on the forum.

At the time I was trying to determine how I wanted to go to upgrade my '92 front end & was considering an USD fork, complete, from a later model FZR 1000 (last yr. had 6 pots) or a YZF or R1. After looking at the choices vs. $$, I opted to stay w/a VMax front end (Horrors!!!) but used the '93+ model since I got a greal deal from a local owner who cut me a sweetheart deal on his old take-offs in fine condition. I went w/FZR 1000 4 piston opposed calipers (direct bolt-on to the '93+ VMax sliders, no adapter brackets necessary, just the 298 mm same series-'93+ VMax rotors) & since I already own an FZR 1000, I had some spare calipers around, plus, it saves on buying parts ("Gimme a dozen 'o them-there HH FA88's"). Upgraded w/Russell s.s. brake lines & after careful consideration, I went right back to a ronayersmotorsports.com-sourced o.e.m. master cyl. I wear XL or XXL gloves, so the lever reach has never been a problem for me, and I had gotten good service out of the stock masters, clutch/brake, so I stayed w/them. Cheap-enough, and good enough in function for the time in-service I have gotten from the VMax & the FZR 1000.

No, they don't have sexy remote reservoirs, adjustable levers, candy-color finishes, or anything else besides reliable function to recommend them. They are priced right, fit the bike w/no fudging of wiring, fitment, or anything else, so why not?

Some people like the FJR1300 setup, if you need a shorter reach, just make sure the 5/8" dia. is what you get, or something close to it, as that's what Yamaha engineers chose for my 4-opposed piston system.

So, do a search and read-away!

Use the search function as awhile ago this matter was discussed in depth, and I am sure it was several times before that. I found a chart which specified the optimal # of caliper pistons vs. the cyl. bore size as a spreadsheet, sourced from I think it was Vintage Brakes, I may be a bit rusty on the name, but check the prior entries on the forum.

At the time I was trying to determine how I wanted to go to upgrade my '92 front end & was considering an USD fork, complete, from a later model FZR 1000 (last yr. had 6 pots) or a YZF or R1. After looking at the choices vs. $$, I opted to stay w/a VMax front end (Horrors!!!) but used the '93+ model since I got a greal deal from a local owner who cut me a sweetheart deal on his old take-offs in fine condition. I went w/FZR 1000 4 piston opposed calipers (direct bolt-on to the '93+ VMax sliders, no adapter brackets necessary, just the 298 mm same series-'93+ VMax rotors) & since I already own an FZR 1000, I had some spare calipers around, plus, it saves on buying parts ("Gimme a dozen 'o them-there HH FA88's"). Upgraded w/Russell s.s. brake lines & after careful consideration, I went right back to a ronayersmotorsports.com-sourced o.e.m. master cyl. I wear XL or XXL gloves, so the lever reach has never been a problem for me, and I had gotten good service out of the stock masters, clutch/brake, so I stayed w/them. Cheap-enough, and good enough in function for the time in-service I have gotten from the VMax & the FZR 1000.

No, they don't have sexy remote reservoirs, adjustable levers, candy-color finishes, or anything else besides reliable function to recommend them. They are priced right, fit the bike w/no fudging of wiring, fitment, or anything else, so why not?

Some people like the FJR1300 setup, if you need a shorter reach, just make sure the 5/8" dia. is what you get, or something close to it, as that's what Yamaha engineers chose for my 4-opposed piston system.

So, do a search and read-away!

Cool, thanks heaps for the info Fire-Medic:punk:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=2231&page=7

FJR masters are a popular swap.
Vmax masters have a 5/8" bore for both clutch and brake.
Anything close will work.
The smaller the bore, the easier the lever will be to squeeze but it moves less fluid so it will take more lever movement to have the same effect.

14mm is a popular size to use. Some of the radial calipers can also be used. I'm not up to speed on what size radial master is a good swap though. As noted, the zx-14 has been used with success. I found that the kawasaki concours has a 14mm clutch master.

Gen 2 busa's have a 14mm front brake master but the reservoir is angled a good bit.

Back