Rear Wheel Damper Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
What is the best / easiest way to remove and replace the six rubber dampers in the rear wheel hub? Is there a way to remove the dampers without damaging them? I am going the have the wheel powdercoated and need to remove everything that could be damaged by or interfere with the process.

Thanks.

They are a royal bitch to remove. They survive chroming fairly well most of the time and I would even say to try and have it coated first with them in place. we've done that before with no real problems too.

Sean

What is the best / easiest way to remove and replace the six rubber dampers in the rear wheel hub? Is there a way to remove the dampers without damaging them? I am going the have the wheel powdercoated and need to remove everything that could be damaged by or interfere with the process.

Thanks.

You'll probably need to replace the rubber pieces.

As for getting them out, here's what I did when I had to transfer the "cush drive" over to my new wheel.

The cush drive will come out by removing the snap ring and then prying it out. That will leave the cush drive rubbers in the wheel. If you want those out I would try some sort of heat and pry them out. Never done that part so not sure. I actually think if I had to remove them I would destroy them by caving them in and floding them so they were not so tight. They are fairly cheap so replacing them is not too big a deal.

Putting new ones in you can freeze the new rubber and metel sleeve thingies, use a small propane torch to heat the holes in the wheel up and then put a little grease on then hammer them in using the right size socket as a driver. Use one that just barely fits inside the hole so it will rest on the metal collar on the outside of the cush drive rubber thingie while your hammering them in.

Sorry I can't be more help on getting the old ones out.

Sean Morley would probably have more experience on that than any one else here.

Rusty

Basically, the only way I have removed them was for a wheel restoration (the wheel had been burned). The rubbers were melted away which left the sleeve. I used a slide hammer with a set of jaws I cut out of steel. It was a complete pain in the ass. Heating them up would have helped but I didn't have any gas for the torch at the time.

Sean

Back