Easy damper rod tool

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple pics of the damper rod tool I made out of stuff hanging around.

Materials: brass reducer bushing, I think it's 1" to 1/2"
24" X 1/2" rigid copper nipple
elbow, tee, something to hold on to on the other end
These sizes are optional, there are several bushings and pipe sizes that will work, whatever you have laying around.

I had to cut the reducer bushing down some to get a good thread grab.
Useing brass & copper will eliminate scratch damage. You could also use galvanized or black iron but you have to rig up a cushion to protect the insides of the fork tubes.

If anybody is interested in the exact bushing I used, PM me and I'll go the plumbing shop and find out. (soon as it stops raining)

Very simple, very effective, very cheap. :clapping:

dan

Attachments

• Fork Tool II.jpg
    Fork Tool II.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Fork Tool.jpg
    Fork Tool.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 109
I'd be interested in that bushing size - my left fork has a knocking noise that I notice at low speeds when I'm cornering. I put 20w oil in the forks when I replaced the seals, but it sounds like I need a complete rebuild. I'm all for building a tool instead of buying one.

Good job! I spent a few bucks at Lowe's and did the following. The nut size is for early forks....I'm not sure the size needed for later damper rods.

Attachments

• dampertool.jpg
    dampertool.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 86
I'd be interested in that bushing size - my left fork has a knocking noise that I notice at low speeds when I'm cornering. I put 20w oil in the forks when I replaced the seals, but it sounds like I need a complete rebuild. I'm all for building a tool instead of buying one.

My springs are scheduled to arrive today, as soon as I get this thing back together I'll test drive it over to the plumbing shop. If it isn't raining, that is!

BTW I had great results taking the bottom bolt out with an impact wrench. Left everything attached to the bike--it spun right out. Remember to bleed the air off first.

Also, I had to cut down a 3/8" allen wrench, not 5/16" as described in the "How To" article. That's on a '99, don't know what any other years are.

Good luck,

dan

Good job! I spent a few bucks at Lowe's and did the following. The nut size is for early forks....I'm not sure the size needed for later damper rods.

That looks good, Mark. I was a little embarrased to submit my pic, it looks like some pieces of scrap you'd find out behind the barn. :worthy:

Come to think of it, that's exactly what it is! Can't beat the price though. :rofl_200:

dan

Anyone know what size would work on the newer forks? I have heard about people making them for the pre '02 forks but not for the newer ones.

Also, I saw a thread somewhere Sean had mentioned that you can make a fork seal driver out of pvc pipe. One end for the oil seal and the other end (the built in hub) for the cover.

I don't think he said what size it was but I'm guessing it was 2" schedule 40 PVC?

Are there any other "special tools" that would be required to tear into the forks other than a cut down hex key with imapact, damper rod tool, and seal driver? I have never done it before but am interested in the benefits of dropping the front.

Anyone know what size would work on the newer forks? I have heard about people making them for the pre '02 forks but not for the newer ones.

Also, I saw a thread somewhere Sean had mentioned that you can make a fork seal driver out of pvc pipe. One end for the oil seal and the other end (the built in hub) for the cover.

I don't think he said what size it was but I'm guessing it was 2" schedule 40 PVC?

Are there any other "special tools" that would be required to tear into the forks other than a cut down hex key with imapact, damper rod tool, and seal driver? I have never done it before but am interested in the benefits of dropping the front.

A 1 1/2" sched. 40 PVC coupling will fit over the inner tube on a '99. Haven't tried it yet but don't see why it won't work. Use the old seal as a cushion.

dan

Dan, do you still have your damper rods out? if so can you measure the top to see what size of nut can be used?

I just remembered that some have jammed a broom stick into the rod and that allowed the bottom allen bolt to be removed.

Dan, do you still have your damper rods out? if so can you measure the top to see what size of nut can be used?

Yup, I do. They'll be out until the UPS guy gets here. Measurement from point to point is 1.340" so 1 1/4" would probably work, 1 5/16" would be better.

I'm not smart enough to convert to metric, somebody else will have to do that. :biglaugh:

dan

I just remembered that some have jammed a broom stick into the rod and that allowed the bottom allen bolt to be removed.

Another jim dandy method is, forget to bleed off the air, the bolts come flying right out............along with about 21 ounces of fork oil!! :bang head:

Well, that's what I heard anyhow. :biglaugh:

dan

Back