Hot start again

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Well after determining my starter relay was bad. I still seem to have the problem of it barely turning the motor when hot. I just pulled the starter and everything checks out. I saw on vmaxchat that someone recommended drilling a hole in the starter top and making a direct wire connection from negative brush wire to ground/frame. Has anyone tried this? Said it was like night and day.
Mark I noticed you commented on this over there...did you ever do it? I may give it a shot as everything else seems to check out

No, I asked for pics but don't think that dude ever replied. I think cleaning the brush assembly and cleaning the commutator would help.

IS yours the original 2 brush starter? I found a huge difference in hot starts with the newer 4 brush starters.

No.. 4 brush..everything in spec and looks newish..that's why this problem is baffling. I went ahead and did the ground mod (also cleaned everything)..will see if there's any improvement.

I don't have pics to show, but if you dis-assemble your starter, you will see the brush plate has tabs that 'locate' it in the right place between the coil case and the other end cap (with the bearing). There are also a couple (maybe 3) small tabs that have a super-slight bend up or down in them. There is a corresponding flat spot on the (I believe) coil case where those tabs should fit tightly against when the case is bolted together.

Clean the contact flats and the tabs well. Then gently add more bend to the tabs so that when re-assembling, the tabs come into firmer contact to the coil plate. This is where the grounding of the brushes occurs, IMO.

I did this INSTEAD of drilling the case and adding the internal ground wire as shown in another thread on here. The difference in my 'hot start' was like night and day.

The small amount of corrosion between the brush plate and the end cap and coil case is supposedly where you lose grounding. If I were fully awake, I'd remember why this problem shows up more when the motor is hot than it does on cold starts.

Back