05 Clutch Problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob702

Reaction score
On my 2005 vmax when i go to put it in gear i always seem to get quite a loud 'Clunk' and bike seems to jump a little, after a few miles its very hard to select neutral from first, the gear lever seems to stick. Once the bike is moving the gearbox works perfect, i've changed the clutch fluid and engine oil but i still have the same problem, the bike has only done 3000 mile. Has anyone got any ideas? :ummm:

Thanks Rob.

It's normal to clunk. Make sure your idle is set to 1000 rpms and blipping the throttle helps a bit. For a cold clutch a few sqeezes of the lever unsticks the clutch plates. What oil are you using?

maleko89 i was using silkolene 10w-40 semi-synthetic so i changed it to shell sx4 10w-40 mineral oil to see if it made any difference but i've still got the same problem. It feels like the clutch is not fully dis-engaging.

Rob.

Being in Jolly Old England, is the bike exposed to a lot of direct rain? Could be moisture or air in the line. You could try bleeding the line.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF THE V-MAX :rofl_200: , THIS IS TOTALLY NORMAL !!!!! WHEN THE BIKE IS COLD IT BANGS HARD INTO GEAR ! I HAVE A STONE DRIVEWAY , & IF I DON'T LET IT FULLY WARM UP BEFORE I BANG IT INTO GEAR THE BACK TIRE SPINS & SINKS ABOUT 4 INCHES DOWN INTO THE STONES , WHEN IT'S HOT ITS ALOT BETTER ! & WHILE SLOWING DOWN BEFORE COMING TO A COMPLETE STOP IT'S EASYER TO POP IT INTO NEUTRAL , ONCE YOUR STOPPED , IT IS A PAIN IN THE ASS !!! BY FAR THE WORST OUT OF ALL THE BIKES I'VE HAD !!!!!

Back