09 HP vs Weight

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had read that the original Otadama motor put out big HP numbers but the physical size of the motor was too big for the frame they had planned. Sounds like if they went with that motor it would have been the size of a Boss Hoss.

i actually heard it wasn't so much a different motor but basically different heads with variable valve timing that got in the way of the frame..which is all over the top of the motor now..... story is we still may see it down the road as a special addition or race kit

+1 the original #'s were stupid and then de-tuned. I'm still wondering what they did to reduse the HP from the original numbers.

displacement and cam timing were reduced... as well variable cam timing drive system was removed...

i actually heard it wasn't so much a different motor but basically different heads with variable valve timing that got in the way of the frame..which is all over the top of the motor now..... story is we still may see it down the road as a special addition or race kit

The original motor they designed was physically too big so they scrapped it and made the one that is in the 09. It was the original motor that was putting out huge numbers.

i think about the new max a little different than "my bike makes this much hp", its so much more important to me as to WHERE my bike starts to make serious,useable power. i really couldnt care less how much more hp some other bike makes at redline if you can only ever use that extra hp while at the strip! in saying that the new max is hardly slow in that area,i ran a 10.235 a few weeks ago and its all just so easy to do on the thing, all thanks to that lovely engine:)

and we are in such a different world than 1985,theres SOOO many good bikes out there these days who can all run just as fast as max down the quarter.
in saying that yea bring on more hp:punk:

i think about the new max a little different than "my bike makes this much hp", its so much more important to me as to WHERE my bike starts to make serious,useable power. i really couldnt care less how much more hp some other bike makes at redline if you can only ever use that extra hp while at the strip! in saying that the new max is hardly slow in that area,i ran a 10.235 a few weeks ago and its all just so easy to do on the thing, all thanks to that lovely engine:)

and we are in such a different world than 1985,theres SOOO many good bikes out there these days who can all run just as fast as max down the quarter.
in saying that yea bring on more hp:punk:
LOL.... oh stop it...you love the power just admit it.... haha

i agree on usable power and launch characteristics (street or strip)... the quickest bike usually is the easiest to launch.

But it all gonna change... 1500cc old vmaxes get 165-200hp at the wheel....stands to reason the 1700cc new motor should get much more as development of cams and throttle bodies/ programming takes place....

im still confused as to why the bike is heavier......

Gen 1's stock with the fuel reserve light on weight closer to 620-630 and typically make about 115-120 at the rear

lets call it .188 hp per Pound (117.5/625)

Gen 2's are making around 180 or better at the rear if you can believe the magazines, the times they are getting out of them tell me that the numbers are "pretty" good coming from the magazines.
I don't know if the 683 is wet or not but I think that it is wet, a lot of the mfgr's are stating wet weights now (someone complained? I dunno:ummm:)

That gives .26 hp per Pound.

In any case the new bike is so much fucking faster than the old one it's ridiculous, I've ridden 3 of them and there is zero comparison......

Faster than a tweaked ZX-14, probably never...

Hopefully this new bike isn't like the gen 1 and fucking impossible to squeeze more power out of without major internal mod work. but i don't thinks it's going to be once the aftermarket gets on board big time...we'll see...

Starvamx.com has some pretty interesting dyno compariosons on different mods and pipe and ECU changes alone have been yielding results comparable to what can be done with the big inline 4's

Yeah.. When looking at these numbers, it really starts to look outclassed, even if it will never be compared the way it maybe should. Wasn't there a rumour that the original V-4 they came up with for the G2 was waaaaaayyyy higher? ;-) Why did they say it was too uncontrollable if the new sport bikes are putting out higher power to weight ratio? Did Yamaha chicken out?

It seems we are witnessing another classic HP battle, even despite poor economy and high gas prices.. Like... who will be the first to break 200hp at the tire?

Will there be a future HP limit imposed (like the ~185 mph speed limiter) on stock bikes?

the 185 was a European Union "suggestion" or else legal action on HP was going to be taken, the MFGR's chose to implement it for bikes sold everywhere....

I am really interested to see what an 09 Max will make with a good exhaust. That big motor might just respond even better than ther 14 and the Busa. Looking forward to one in my area showing up for some tuning

The numbers you are looking for are readily available from various members over on starvamx.com

The X-pipe and cat. converter eleimination I believe was putting these bikes solidly in the 180+ range.

I watched an 09 lay down 156/110 on a Dynojet with nice and cool weather. Not sure how I feel about it.

Holy shit...that was me! :biglaugh:

They ran the bike in 5th gear . It hit the stock rev limiter at @ 137. Thats why the HP numbers were so low.
I was a little miffed by that too until I saw the dyno sheet. The HP was shooting up until about 7K then there is a sudden drop off.

Holy shit...that was me! :biglaugh:

They ran the bike in 5th gear . It hit the stock rev limiter at @ 137. Thats why the HP numbers were so low.
I was a little miffed by that too until I saw the dyno sheet. The HP was shooting up until about 7K then there is a sudden drop off.

Is the bike not broke in? 156 seems a pinch weak. Torque is good though. Might be the machine. I did 171/107. The test was incomplete because of the limiter. Should be able to get close to 180 w/o the limiter. 70 buck fix on EBAY. Gonna order mine this weekend.

It had close to 4K on it when dynoed. The only mod on it right now is the velocity stacks so it may have been running a bit lean in the top end as well. But they didnt have an O2 hooked up to it so I don't know.

I just put the rev extender on when I got back. We were actually there visiting friends and "livin it up at Hawgstock(bikefest in Winterset)"

I wish I would have kept the dyno sheet so I could scan it in but we needed it to start a campfire at the bikefest(yeah I was drunk). :bang head:

With the 14 out there, and especially, the new BMW coming in December, it'll be hard for Mr Max to become absolute rule again. Traction 1st of all, unlimit the thing, add 20 horse avg, depending on the size of driver, thru pc and exhaust, electric shift, a huge plus in my book, then the 09 will be extremely hard to beat in the 1/8th- 1/4 mile, or light to light, IMO. :eusa_dance: I want 190 horse and the Evol electric shift. With my weight, it otta be just right for me. I can handle the horse, as so I won't be afraid of the bike, and I should be able to keep a back tire for a bit. I have 4k on my rear and it appears I should get another 2-3k.

all of the above has been done very recently and will premier @ DragFest2009 later this month.... 202rwhp(SAE), electric sfifter, drag-slick, OE SpeedLimiter removed

http://www.starvmax.com/forum/32-us-west-coast/64621-please-rsvp-if-you-plan-on-attending-drag-fest

Latest posts

Back