09 HP vs Weight

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
So the 09 gains ~100lbs to 683 and gains ~50hp = ~.285 hp/lb

The Gen 1 at 580 = ~.25 hp/lb

And the ZX-14 at ~ 566lbs with ~ 162hp = ~.286 hp/lb

Are these in the ballpark?

How much more HP or how much less weight do you guys think it would take for the 09 to be the absolute, undisputed, bar none drag king like the 85 once was?

How much more HP or how much less weight do you guys think it would take for the 09 to be the absolute, undisputed, bar none drag king like the 85 once was?

45lbs, traction control, decent rear tire.

I take it these are all dry weights?

With the 14 out there, and especially, the new BMW coming in December, it'll be hard for Mr Max to become absolute rule again. Traction 1st of all, unlimit the thing, add 20 horse avg, depending on the size of driver, thru pc and exhaust, electric shift, a huge plus in my book, then the 09 will be extremely hard to beat in the 1/8th- 1/4 mile, or light to light, IMO. :eusa_dance: I want 190 horse and the Evol electric shift. With my weight, it otta be just right for me. I can handle the horse, as so I won't be afraid of the bike, and I should be able to keep a back tire for a bit. I have 4k on my rear and it appears I should get another 2-3k.

That looks like dry riderless weight. The same rider will adversely affect the power to weight ratio of a light bike more than a heavy bike.

That 162 is low for the ZX14. Most of them make about 172-175 stock. The 08-09 Busa is 175 to 177.

I have not had 09 Max on the Dyno yet, but my unit reads very similar to the Superflow Cycledyn used by Motorcyclist magazine. Therefore, I expect that I would see a similar 168 -170 hp.

The Max would really have to make some serious hp to make up for the weight disadvantage.

I am really interested to see what an 09 Max will make with a good exhaust. That big motor might just respond even better than ther 14 and the Busa. Looking forward to one in my area showing up for some tuning

That 162 is low for the ZX14. Most of them make about 172-175 stock. The 08-09 Busa is 175 to 177.

I have not had 09 Max on the Dyno yet, but my unit reads very similar to the Superflow Cycledyn used by Motorcyclist magazine. Therefore, I expect that I would see a similar 168 -170 hp.

The Max would really have to make some serious hp to make up for the weight disadvantage.

I am really interested to see what an 09 Max will make with a good exhaust. That big motor might just respond even better than ther 14 and the Busa. Looking forward to one in my area showing up for some tuning

there have been plenty of posts in May about the 09 max getting 195hp with simple exhaust mods (vmaxguru.com) as well as peewee goin low 9s without electoshift and traction control....

I like this kind of logic..... now concider the gen 1 bike with a modded motor...say a 175hp motor.... does that not make it "still in the hunt"?

there have been plenty of posts in May about the 09 max getting 195hp with simple exhaust mods (vmaxguru.com) as well as peewee goin low 9s without electoshift and traction control....
Mid 9s as in his best pass was 9.51, not low nines ... It had a M/T drag slick so no need for traction controll .. It took more than just exhaust mods to reach 190s ...No air box , fuel tunner , race ECU and a dose of U4.2 VP race fuel ..

Last edited:
Mid 9s as in his best pass was 9.51, not low nines ... It had a M/T drag slick so no need for traction controll .. It took more than just exhaust mods to reach 190s ...No air box , fuel tunner , race ECU and a dose of U4.2 VP race fuel ..

ok...9.51 is mid 9s not low nines (though apparently UFO is preparing a max for what a few believe wil be 8s....but ok.... it wasnt long ago that many were saying it was only going to be a 10 second bike)

F1 banned traction control and motogp uses traction control so it must be an advantage regardless of slick usage or not.

An exhaust mod (that is to say, exhaust tuning for improved scavenging effect) always involves fuel modification due tot he fact that more power cannot be achieved unless more fuel is burned... so in that sence the fuel tuning etc etc is to be expected as part of the "simple exhaust mod"... This was in opposition to the idea that serious mods were neccisary (like cams and compression changes or bore and stroke changes)

On the subject of HP/weight, here's a dyno graph comparing the latest incarnation of the GSXR1k to the new BMW s1000RR. Jeebus. If you want the Max to compete in HP/weight, might ask Yamaha to crank it up to about 300 hp.

bmwhp.jpg

ok...9.51 is mid 9s not low nines (though apparently UFO is preparing a max for what a few believe wil be 8s....but ok.... it wasnt long ago that many were saying it was only going to be a 10 second bike)

F1 banned traction control and motogp uses traction control so it must be an advantage regardless of slick usage or not.

An exhaust mod (that is to say, exhaust tuning for improved scavenging effect) always involves fuel modification due tot he fact that more power cannot be achieved unless more fuel is burned... so in that sence the fuel tuning etc etc is to be expected as part of the "simple exhaust mod"... This was in opposition to the idea that serious mods were neccisary (like cams and compression changes or bore and stroke changes)
I think the UFO bike has a good chance of running high 8s , if not 8s it will be darn close .. If UFO doesn't get 8s someone else will ..

If you want the Max to compete in HP/weight, might ask Yamaha to crank it up to about 300 hp.

Yeah.. When looking at these numbers, it really starts to look outclassed, even if it will never be compared the way it maybe should. Wasn't there a rumour that the original V-4 they came up with for the G2 was waaaaaayyyy higher? ;-) Why did they say it was too uncontrollable if the new sport bikes are putting out higher power to weight ratio? Did Yamaha chicken out?

It seems we are witnessing another classic HP battle, even despite poor economy and high gas prices.. Like... who will be the first to break 200hp at the tire?

Will there be a future HP limit imposed (like the ~185 mph speed limiter) on stock bikes?

Yeah.. When looking at these numbers, it really starts to look outclassed, even if it will never be compared the way it maybe should. Wasn't there a rumour that the original V-4 they came up with for the G2 was waaaaaayyyy higher? ;-) Why did they say it was too uncontrollable if the new sport bikes are putting out higher power to weight ratio? Did Yamaha chicken out?

It seems we are witnessing another classic HP battle, even despite poor economy and high gas prices.. Like... who will be the first to break 200hp at the tire?

Will there be a future HP limit imposed (like the ~185 mph speed limiter) on stock bikes?

I had read that the original Otadama motor put out big HP numbers but the physical size of the motor was too big for the frame they had planned. Sounds like if they went with that motor it would have been the size of a Boss Hoss.

I had read that the original Otadama motor put out big HP numbers but the physical size of the motor was too big for the frame they had planned. Sounds like if they went with that motor it would have been the size of a Boss Hoss.

+1 the original #'s were stupid and then de-tuned. I'm still wondering what they did to reduse the HP from the original numbers.

One has to keep in mind that this bike has been on the street for a whole 8 months avg., including winter in the midst. I didn't get my bike till January. Few vendors for performance have gotten into the 09 field yet. I'm sure there'll be quite a few more 'tricks' for the 09 to come out in the future. The 09 was pi$$'d on before it hit the street. So far, many have been wrong about it. Don't get me wrong, some also worshiped the thing like it was going to be more than what it was, also.

Yes, shockingly to me, BMW may be the big boy on the block to beat. Thought that it was kind of neat to see them coming out with their new scooter. Time will till how it truly handles.

I seen an article where someone did over 200hp.

I did 171 on my bike, then it was cut off. What other bikes have limiters to cut off the eng before peak hp, or limits top speed in the quarter? When I get by my limiter, I'll prob get close to 180. That's before an x pipe and a couple other do dads. I'm still watching to see whats best, performance and price wise. Max hp with the limiter, will prob never get past 174 off the show room floor.

I imagine insurance, and marketing allowed worldwide, is the reasoning behind the detuning and limiting. It's up to the individuals to wake it back up.

I understand that there was a larger engine build for the Max, then the 1700 was chosen. Lots of stories on that.

I want 190 to the rear, myself. I'm light compared to most, so I have that to start with. I also want the hp that I can drive on the street, not fear the bike, and be able to keep a back tire for a good number of miles.

I am liking this bike more and more. Didn't really care for it at first. It was ok to me. Too usest to my oldie. I did around a 1k miles over the last few days. Went on a short vacation. This bike purred 80-95(+) without a hick up. I had my wife, plus 50 lbs of freight on board. I'm really proud of this thing. My cheeks were sore, and my wife can't walk now (She's not a real biker babe.), but I'm getting in a different seat shipped in tomorrow that may cure that. I couldn't begin to carry the load I did, ride fairly comfortably on the highway, pass at about any time I chose (two lane), romp around town, keeping up with the crowd, with a rocket bike. The 09 is a unique bike. Just gotta find a way to get foot pegs on the thing without them looking like Fido's butt. Is there a genius out there ready to makes some bucks:ummm:

Last edited:
as well as peewee goin low 9s without electoshift and traction control....

I saw the run with Jay going deep in the 9's. That's cool, but for a real comparison you'ld have to put a pipe on a Busa as well as the slick he got to use on the Max. Motorcyclist got what 138 mph out of the Maz in the quarter stock? A bone stock 08-09 Busa goes 143 in the quarter with an average rider on board.

After searching around I've seen a whole bunch of pipe tests now, but very few pre and post with actual SAE correction applied for both tests and no 'smoothing' changes.

Sucks that there's still so few in my area that I have not had any in for EFI tweaking.

Why did they say it was too uncontrollable if the new sport bikes are putting out higher power to weight ratio? Did Yamaha chicken out?

?

because these sport bikes are RPM based.... You see HP is a calculation based on torque at a given RPM.... if you make 200hp at 20,000 rpm, you are actually delivering very little torque.....

The "scary prototype" max was delivering massive amounts of torque low down in the usable rpm range making it impossible to pull away from a stop light in the wet for instance. Manufacturers are ok with 200hp bikes that deliver it so high up in the rev range that the bike is already moving .....

Latest posts

Back