10 second V-Max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
Here's a random thought/question.

I finally have a garage and am hoping to start working on my bike little by little. Basically what I want from my bike is a street bike but I also want to take it to the track and be able to get in the 10second area.

Is that possible with out any "major" work to my bike. I.e. without boring the engine out or puting a supercharger/turbo on it?

Don't get me wrong I want to do a lot to the bike but I want to avoid the big ticket items if I can.

CaptainKyle is pushing the 10 second mark. His bike is highly tuned by himself and he's a stellar rider. I have no doubt he'll break into the 10's soon... Just bolt on performance parts and his own brand of Carb Magic...

Pretty tough to break into the 10's on a stocker. If you do, you would rank up there with peewee.

If you're dead set on hitting 10's on the cheap I've got one word for ya. NITROUS.

How much to you weigh? and what are your riding skills?

If your light and have good skills, your in the 10's with nothing more than a good tune up. There is a guy up here that has an '85 and he's 10 sec all day long. But he also weighs in the high 140's to really low 150lbs with gear on.

There is another guy, I don't know if he still has the bike or not. But his '88 was in the mid to low 10's with a Kerker and a stg 7, slick and bars. He weighs in about 170ish with gear.

Both guys have a smaller build. Me, I'm making well in the 9's power with the cams, pipe, carb kit, bike weight loss and nitrous. but, I'm about 310lbs, well over 6' and sport a 55" chest. So I'm basically a barn door going down the track. So my setup is best suited for a 1/8th mile or stoplight to stoplight.

Steve Darby, a local racer, had a Gixxer 1100. I think if I remember right is was an '88. With nothing more than a pipe, carbs, and a cams, he was running 9.60's like clockwork all day long, and the bike was still totally street-able. Hes a good example of a local racer with exceptional tuning and riding skills. Not to mention an all around good guy.

Ive only run a few times , no expert by ANY means and I ran a stock motored max to 11.187 @ 123. if your light and get very good at the light you may break into the tens,10.99 is in the tens.

Ok I weigh in at or near 400 pds with out any thing on. I can't see a 10 sec bike any time soon. Even if I installed a blower or a turbo and Nitrous, I think there is too much dead weigh on top of the bike. Oh well I will still have fun. I would happy in the high 12's or low 13's

"good at the lights" has nothing to do with it on a test and tune night

Pretty tough to break into the 10's on a stocker. If you do, you would rank up there with peewee.

If you're dead set on hitting 10's on the cheap I've got one word for ya. NITROUS.

Well I am not looking to just be completely stock. I do plan on getting t-boost, and Morely's jet kit. Those are my two performance upgrades I am planning on that are in a good price range.

I realize it will take more than that, but that's where I am starting.

Not opposed to nitrous but want to get better at riding first.

Well I am not looking to just be completely stock. I do plan on getting t-boost, and Morely's jet kit. Those are my two performance upgrades I am planning on that are in a good price range.

I realize it will take more than that, but that's where I am starting.

Not opposed to nitrous but want to get better at riding first.

T-boost wont really do anything for you, theres plenty of dyno sheets to show that. It does give a cool seat of the pants feeling, but as far as a time saver, its not. I use mine to shut off the Vboost when I'm touring. I tend to get a few more miles out of it that way.
Morley's Kit will IF you have a full exhaust system. Otherwise it's like putting a stg 7 on a bike with stock or slip-ons.

To get the most out of any carb kit, a full system is needed.

How much to you weigh? and what are your riding skills?

If your light and have good skills, your in the 10's with nothing more than a good tune up. There is a guy up here that has an '85 and he's 10 sec all day long. But he also weighs in the high 140's to really low 150lbs with gear on.

There is another guy, I don't know if he still has the bike or not. But his '88 was in the mid to low 10's with a Kerker and a stg 7, slick and bars. He weighs in about 170ish with gear.

Both guys have a smaller build. Me, I'm making well in the 9's power with the cams, pipe, carb kit, bike weight loss and nitrous. but, I'm about 310lbs, well over 6' and sport a 55" chest. So I'm basically a barn door going down the track. So my setup is best suited for a 1/8th mile or stoplight to stoplight.

Steve Darby, a local racer, had a Gixxer 1100. I think if I remember right is was an '88. With nothing more than a pipe, carbs, and a cams, he was running 9.60's like clockwork all day long, and the bike was still totally street-able. Hes a good example of a local racer with exceptional tuning and riding skills. Not to mention an all around good guy.

Well I am at 220ish right now but really planning on getting down to 190 or so.

My riding skills are none to speak of. This is deffently not something I am planning on getting done in a week or anything, it's a long term goal.

Ack! Some of those times are making.me jealous. I weigh in at 135 with gear on but my best time is 12.13@ 112 mph. I think a lot of that has to do with improper tuning and elevation ( 4500 ft ). My mods at the time were stage 7, kerker and strapped front end.

My best time on a stock engined vmax was 10.98 @ 121 (I weighed about 210-220lbs plus gear at the time). This is not an easy proposition though the potential is there.

Header and Jet Kit are mandatory though Nitrous alone could probably do it.

Again you will want to practice a lot. 17" wheel, single rotor and caliper front. Maybe 85/86 front since it's lighter then most.

Sean

I weigh somewhere between 205 -210 with my gear on & I am running consistant 11.1 I am shooting for the 10's again Thursday night. Bike is stock motor with Marks exaust & Jet Kit.

Very nice. I have marks and jet kit planned for when I have an extra few houndred.

All that being said. I have no idea how to race so I would probably get 13 or so my first time lol.

a 13 the first time to the track is realistic though you should hit the 12's after just a few passes (if not the first one). The first 60' makes all the difference. An air shifter can also help get the times more consistent and might make that difference in time for you as well.

Sean

a 13 the first time to the track is realistic though you should hit the 12's after just a few passes (if not the first one). The first 60' makes all the difference. An air shifter can also help get the times more consistent and might make that difference in time for you as well.

Sean

A air shifter is deffently something I have in mind too but again, something down the road after I get more experience.

I really wanna see what I can do in the 1/4. I'm 160 lbs 5'8" running Vgas with the 250 rear tire setup with a Kerker 4-1.

Practice and more practice. I'm going for it too this year. went 11.13 @ 121 on my 89 last year....stage 7, kerker and bias plys

Although I'm an experienced drag racer "with a car" and have been on two wheels most of my life I have only recently made a few passes on my Max, launching a bike is very different and I have much to learn, I weigh in at 230lbs without gear and have ran a best of 12.12@112, once I get a good launch technique down I will probally only see 11.70s-11.80s at best on my 100% stock bike.............................Tom.

Will a 17" rear w/radials make much of a difference in the 1/4 times? I know its supposed to " Improve gearing " for faster acceleration but thought it would be a pretty small amount

Back