1000 Virago, 1985

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firewrench

Reaction score
Well, I'm going to look at a 1985 XV1000 Virago today to get in the wind for the summer after the Max Grenade episode.
I have a question for you all. The owner states that it runs great but after about 20 minutes, starts to smoke. He seems to think its valve guide seals. I don't recall that sympton ever happening to me and I'm pretty sure that valve guide seals show up on decel as smoke. Bike only has 16,500 miles on it. I'm thinking more like a crankcase vent plugged or something like that. What say you all.
He's only asking 600 for the scooter and it looks pretty good in the photo.
I also am looking at a 1982 Yam 1100. Don't know if its and XS or what, been sitting since 1993. Brakes are inop so won't be able to ride it too far but the owner just cleaned the carbs and tank and got it running. Same price as the Virago, but would need some work to ride, the Virago is a ride it home deal. What would you do?
Thanks for your input, I've got about 2 hours till I leave to go get one of these.
Later
Paul

Boys, that's a tough one Paul!! Both nice rides and the prices are good too.

If it was me, after checking both of them out and not finding anything else, and if the 1100 is an XS, I would try to get that guy down to a figure starting with a '5'...hopefully $500 even.

But that's just MO. Good luck with whatever you do!

danny

If its an 82 1100 chances are its an XJ 1100 not the XS. Both sound like potential good scoots. I agree with Danny and cash-flash a lower number and haggle from there. The virago's problem just might be as simple as it's been sitting a while and things are dry, and your getting oil blow by on warm up. It might clear up after putting a few miles on it. I once bought a smokey 750 triple that did the same thing. It sat for a few years, but after fluid changes and putting a few miles on it, it pretty much cleared right up.

Look at what its going to run to get both the bikes in good working order and go with the one that isn't going to be a pain in the ass or the wallet.

yea the smoke will prolly clear with time.

just an FYI the viragos of that era are known 4 cdi box probs. bike will run great till warm then it will drop a cylinder and run shitty . just so ya know.

I asked the Virago owner if it was fouling plugs and he said it wasn't. Doesn't smoke till after its warmed up. With such low miles, I gotta think it's something unusual, perhaps a plugged crankcase vent. We get yellow jackets around here that will build nests in holes and plug them up with mud.
The 1100 has brake issues. Been sitting 16 years. I'm bringing some tools and a mighty vac and some brake fluid with me.
Leaving in a 1/2 hour, the anticipation is killing me. I plan to test ride the V, check the plugs and oils, charging system. Good visual inspection on the suspension. I'm kinda leaning that way as it's registered and ready to ride. I've owned an XS1100 and it was a good bike. I like the way the V looks though, a little more chopper-ish. Gonna keep an open mind though and give them equal chance.
Thanks guys,
Paul

I got the Virago. She's not the cleanest but runs out pretty good. Feels like a mini-bike after the Max. But, will keep my teeth full of bugs while we get Mr. Max back on his feet.
The XJ was a basket case that ran, barely.
Happy Independance Day!
Paul

I got the Virago. She's not the cleanest but runs out pretty good. Feels like a mini-bike after the Max. But, will keep my teeth full of bugs while we get Mr. Max back on his feet.
Happy Independance Day!
Paul

Congratz on the new scoot. now of course you know I have to add this :biglaugh:

:eek:h yeah::ttiwwp:

Enjoy the 4th, and go out and get some bugs in your teeth :flagwaver:

Happy Independance Day!
Paul

Congrats! Post up pic's! You have me looking for a Virago 1000 now! I'd definately pull the trigger if i found one in the $500-700 range. None even remotely close to me though..

OK, here are a couple of pics. Now remember, I only paid 600 and rode it home. I did stop by my work and give her a quick bath with superclean and a hose. Coastal influence on the chrome is painfully obvious. But it only has 13,750 miles. :clapping:

Attachments

• Virago.jpg
    Virago.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Virago1.jpg
    Virago1.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Virago2.jpg
    Virago2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 49
OK, here are a couple of pics. Now remember, I only paid 600 and rode it home. I did stop by my work and give her a quick bath with superclean and a hose. Coastal influence on the chrome is painfully obvious. But it only has 13,750 miles. :clapping:

Nothin a lil touch up paint wouldn't cure. It looks pretty good :punk:

$600, I'd have pulled the trigger ! Always liked the
Virago's. Nice pickup.

Looks good. That's the bike with the 2nd fuel tank right? Those things are notorious for building rust and causing issues with plugged jets. Make sure the lower tank is clean.

Chris

Congrats FW!!! Ya done good! :clapping: I've always liked the leading axle forks on them...gives it that extended front, semi-chopper style.

Looks like a good solid, low mileage ride, and you know the old saying, "Powdercoat & paint'll make it what it ain't," (or somethin' like that!) :biglaugh:

You know Dan-o, I never heard that one before, but I think I like it. I do know that chrome don't get ya home, and as most of it is gone already, she's probably faster now.

Chris, thanks for the clue in on the rust issue in the auxillary tank. I'll inspect it soon, new fuel filter for sure.

wicked bike for the price, congrats... nice when you can still find a deal like that.....and drive it home

Latest posts

Back