17&18 stock rim

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bciuc

Reaction score
ive heard of a company that converts stock wheel to 17 or 18 for rear, any info on company would be apprec. and is it worth the price compared to aftermarket rim, thanks:ummm:

ive heard of a company that converts stock wheel to 17 or 18 for rear, any info on company would be apprec. and is it worth the price compared to aftermarket rim, thanks:ummm:

Kosman.

It's about $550, You can buy an aftermarket rim for about $750-900, but it's not going to match your front.

Personally I'd save your money and buy a full set, you'll be glad you did....

Rusty

Kosman is the way to go.... There are many out there! The key in this department is to look at the offset from the rear of the bike. Prices will vary from 500.00 to 1000.00
There is a guy on ebay selling them but the offset is horrible in my opinion. I havent heard any handling issues from the offset just looks as your bike is going down the road sideways from the rear.. Get pictures from people the key is to get a pic from the dead rear center .....

Such in this pic.. This a kosman vmax rear wheel

Attachments

• Kossman.jpg
    Kossman.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 74
i know that a 180/55/18 tire fits the ebay wheel and with the offset has a good amount of room in the swing arm but how much room is there with a kosman being it is centered alot better will the 180 tire still fit with room. whos got the kosmans?
Chris :ummm:

I have the Kosman 18" wheel and a 170 is the biggest that will fit and it requires the washer swap. A 180 might fit on a 17" wheel as the swingarm gets narrower towards the pivot which is what interferes with the 18".

the pic lankee shows is fpc187's bike and said he has a 180/55/18 tire i did not read him saying he did the washer swap so does kosman do different offsets or is it the tire. i know a lot of tires have different widths even being the same size and the one he used is a me880 metzler.
Chris

"edit" sorry just read his kosman thread again and he did use the washer swap and had about 1/16 of clearance

Last edited:
The last Kosman we had I think would have fit the 180 (depending on brand) without any modifications other then "maybe" the washer swap.
The carr wheels we sell will fit that size without mods to the arm or washers.
Keep in mind if they fit like that they will be off center to get that clearance for you.

I've still got my 17" chrome George Deget wheel for sale and we also sell Ego Tripp wheels which makes the "Max Daddy" wheel.

Sean Morley

On my 18" Kosman I installed a Dunlop D220 170/60-18 and it actually rubbed the swingarm before I did the washer swap. If I remember correctly, the Kosman is 5.5" wide. Other tires may fit differently.

If you are only loking to do the rear you could go with kosman 550.0 plus shipping about 600.00 total.

or just buy the max daddy, which matches stock, from sean for 1000.00??? and sell your rim and you will be paying about 200.00 more for a new max daddy wheel

or buy from www.rmsportmax.com a a RC wheel ($1000.00) which looks like the max daddy and sell your stock wheel

sean slls RC so he might have better input on which would be a better wheel RC or the Max daddy

If your gonna do both wheels i would buy a new set and sell your stock set, youll have too much invested in shipping wheels to kosman. 1100.00 plus close to a 100.00 for each wheel both ways, for a total 0f 1300.00. cost me 50.00 each way for my rear minnesota to cali and back.

The RC's are heavy but much of the weight is in the hub area. The max daddy is a nice wheel too. The deget wheel I have is also a very good made wheel. The kosman kind of looked a little cheesy but the worksmanship was fine too. I think he has raised his price as well. The carr wheels I sell are pretty nice too.

Sean

I have the RMS sportmax wheel in an 18. It certainly feels heavy but it's put together very solidly and John was a good guy to deal with. If I had to do it all over again, I would drop the $1800 and get two matched forged wheels but honestly, I'm still pleased with my purchase from RMS.

Note that the factory front wheel is clear coated and the RMS rear wheel is polished. I just let the rear one stay a little dirty. :biglaugh:

Back