1985 Max no nuthin'

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vee4DFW

Reaction score
Hi folks

I'm just starting to put on the Cobra slash cuts but I wanted to fire it up before I did,, and guess what the doggone thing doesn't even turn over. You can here the V boost testing and the starter relay closing when you hit the button but that's it.
I bought a new battery and a rectifier, cleaned out all the connections with contact cleaner and checked all the fuses.This thing has a new upgraded starter. Any ideas?

Yes the side stand is down :ummm:

My first guess is your kill switch is on.

I sprayed some contact cleaner in there. I might have to take it apart just to be sure.
The starter relay clicks when you hit the run button.
I checked the relay behind the scoop and got 3 volts on the red/black and 12 on the red yellow. Which I don't think should be correct.

Put the sidestand up...does it start? Now, put it in gear and try to start with the clutch lever in.

Check the SCCR relay and also the diode assembly near the ignitor unit.

Mark

A clicking starter relay usually means low voltage and/or a bad battery. You said you replaced the battery so we can assume that the battery is OK. Double check the "cranking" voltage at the relay and check to make sure you have a good ground. Check the voltage at each device using that devices ground reference, not the ground off the battery.

I meant side stand up. I tried it in gear with the clutch lever in and bike in gear. I read 234 ohms on the SCCR,the manual say 225 +- 10%
The battery is a day old and is reading a nice 12.8
Something is stopping it from cranking.
The starter appears to be brand new, the previous owner had said he replaced it with the upgraded version.

I'll go ahead check the side stand relay and the diode and see if any grounds have been jostled around.

BTW I applied 12V to the Side stand relay the relay closed as specified however when I put the side stand up and down I don't hear anything. I'm I supposed to feel anything mechanically when I push the plunger on the side stand switch?

Thanks all

Last edited:
What did you spray the contact cleaner into, the kill switch or the start switch? If you haven't sprayed some into the start switch try some there, as that switch gets gummed up too and can prevent the bike from starting.

I sprayed it into the run/stop switch. Do you mean the ignition switch? I'll try that as well

Cross over the starter relay and see if it cranks. Basically use a screwdriver to jump from one large terminal to the next one. If that works then check to see if voltage is coming on when you hit the button.

We just had to replace a starter relay on the little Fazer (same thing) that started acting up all of a sudden.

Sean Morley

I think i did that yesterday, do I have to hit the start button at the same time or do I just have to jump it over?

I can here the relay clicking when I hit the button.

No, jump the wire that goes directly to the starter. If the starter motor turns you know that the starter motor is good and nothing is jamming up within the engine.

Mark

If that works and the engine turns over the next test which is 100% falible is to tap the solenoid with a screwdriver or hammer while holding the start button.

Sean

During lunch hour I went home and jumpered the relay and nothing. The previous owner bought the unit new on Ebay a week before I bought the bike. I'll check the obvious for wiring to the starter and to see if the voltage is getting to it. If it is then he bought a dud starter.
I don't think anything is binding in the engine becasue it was firing up just fine previously.

I'll let ya know my findings.

Well, let's see if ya'll agree with my conclusion
I disconnected the starter wire and ran a continuity test from the relay to the end of the cable and it tested good. I then hit the starter button and checked the voltage at the end of the cable which was good at 11.98 volts. I hook the cable up and tried to crank the starter and the voltage drops to 5-6 volts and the starter does not even make an attempt to turn over. Even though this starter was put in new a week before I got it. I'm leaning to it being DOA.

The guy who sold me the bike just so happens to have another brand new starter in the box. It seems they shipped him two by mistake or they sent a spare just in case :confused2:He's going to do right by me and come over and put it in himself to see if it fixes what ails Maxy

You mention a new battery. Has the new battery ever been charged? I think if all you do is unbox a new battery and install the correct level of acid, it will build a 12V charge, but won't have any where near the correct cold cranking amperage until after it has been properly charged for the 1st time.

All you have described still sounds like a weak battery.

Just a thought!:hmmm:

Jump it off a car before you go ripping the starter out of it!

This assumes you have a car handy, and it has a good battery...
Don't have the car running when you do it!

Full voltage is 12.6v with a nearly discharged battery at around 12.2v

Sean Morley

The battery was fully charged up. The shop filled it with acid and placed it on a trickle charger for a minimum of 24 hours. I also used a Optima car external battery, hooked one end to the starter lug and hooked the other end to the bike frame and it made a very nice weld spot under the seat but the starter no budgie.

This was with the starter disconnected from the bike's battery and the bike's negative and positive lead completely disconnected

Well, the gentleman came over with a brand new spare starter, we took the old one out and it had seized up, it felt like bad bearings. This was a brand new starter with barely 20 miles bought on Ebay.
We put the new one in and the beast fired right up.
The cobra slash cuts make it sound pretty vicious!
I know which company he got it from but I won't post it here for legal reasons. If you wish to know you can PM me.

Thanks all for all the help!

Back