2005 Resurrection

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FM... Wow! The knowledge you have accumulated is impressive. Thank you for sharing these nuggets with all of us. We all appreciate it.

Someday I'll get into powder coating. It looks awesome. My wife is looking at a bigger house... I was against the idea but she found my weakness with the one she sent me over the weekend... The attached one car garage would be hers, the three garage barn with full upstairs for a shop would be mine. To be continued.

I went ahead and did the MC just raw aluminum. I think it looks pretty good!

Screenshot_20240116-181512.png

And I put the new tire on tonight. I can't believe how clean these wheels are under the years of neglect and dirt!

Screenshot_20240116-181528.png

So I ordered paint that was supposed to match there original anniversary red color.

IMG_20240122_214344672.jpg

The base coat came out like a copper color, but I assumed the mid coat color would be a deep semi-transparent red... Nope. It came out like a rose gold color.

IMG_20240122_214331734.jpg

It's it so ugly that it might be cool? Or is it just ugly?

Not that bad, it sure is different. I presume that if you followed directions for how many coats for each, it should have matched better the OEM.

A bit of copper, some orange, some red.

I pulled out a Benjamin Moore color swatch book, named 'Authentic Color.' It's for house paint, but I used it to match as best I could, with my Baby Boomer eyesight, what your tins most-closely resemble.

When direct light is on the tank cover, to me it's close-to 'coral spice' (2170-40)

On the sides of the tank cover, where you don't have direct illumination, it's a bit darker, and I'd say it closely-resembles 'autumn cover' (2170-30)

To consider two other colors it is close-to, 'wild flower' (2090-40) and terra cotta tile (2090-30)

These are flat colors, not glossy, I suspect these would more closely resemble your tins if they were shot with a glossy clear coat.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.

It's the flames... if I new it wasn't going to come out a deep red then I wouldn't have made them red. I like the color, but it just clashes with the red flames so much that I might have to do something about it... ugh... to be continued.

So I ordered paint that was supposed to match there original anniversary red color.

View attachment 92730

The base coat came out like a copper color, but I assumed the mid coat color would be a deep semi-transparent red... Nope. It came out like a rose gold color.

View attachment 92731

It's it so ugly that it might be cool? Or is it just ugly?
I like it.

In the bright light, it looks salmon color.

In indirect light it appears to be more of a tangerine color.

1706048378059.png

1706048539060.png1706048653669.png

Top to bottom: coral, peach, salmon. To me, salmon is closest, in direct, bright light. I agree that the red scallops/flames isn't the best match for the background color the design is on. I looked at a color wheel. The complimentary color for the 'bright direct light 'salmon' color is a medium blue.

The color wheel said this is a complimentary color to your current color

1706049675939.png

1706049377172.png

https://www.canva.com/colors/color-wheel/

Personally I like it and once it is all installed I reckon it will look great. The flames don't clash at all in my opinion. Go on - dare to be different :cool:

I couldn't do it. I couldn't make a pink bike. Also, the bike having the black wheels with red stripes created too much of a clash.

I took the paint back off last night. I'm going to go with a heavily metallic red with black flames. I'll get more pics after I get the base coat on.

I didn't remove the decals on the fenders... It looks like a shadow of the flames, which I really like. Gunna go with black flames in the faux tank though. Then ready for clear coat.

IMG_20240125_194945746.jpg

Back