223mph on motorcycle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say. Burt munro did 190MPH back in the 60's on a 1920 indian with no help from anyone. 50 years and all that backing and 1000 HP, 233 isn't all that impressive to me either. All they have to do is make it go straight as fast as possible. Race bikes can hit 215'ish and they handle the twisties as well. They speed limit street bikes that cost $15,000 to 186 these days ( which is ridiculous, by the way). Don't get me wrong, I'd never have the nerves to go that fast 170 is my limit and that was years ago and that was indicated. Now an honest (gps) 125 is my comfort zone, at least on the Max. I was just in the states and zipped up to 135 (wife on the back) on my brothers new FJR1300 and it was like a gentle stroll. When they get anywhere even close to the record it will be interesting to me.

Matt

Chasing Lady Speed is a dangerous game, as Bill Warner found out. :confused2:

One of my acquaintances did 229 mph on his turbo GSXR1100, in the mid 1990's, quite the performance at the time. Mark Moisan of Miramar FL (then, now Naples FL) got 410 hp out of his old-style air/oil-cooled GSXR1100 w/a turbo and a lot of attention to detail. He turned 229 mph at Sportbike Magazine's UFO Shootout in the CA desert. I saw his wife ride that bike to Fuddruckers Restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale on bike night, w/the boost turned-down.

Here's a site w/lots of good fodder for those cold nights when the north winds drive the wind chill to -30* F in the northern regions, and into the 60's in south Florida!
http://landspeedevents.com/blog/

They have been using streamliners for two-wheeled records probably before the 1930's, but one I've seen is Joe Petrali's H-D which he set a record with in about 1936. Petrali was a champion rider for H-D and besides that, he was also the engineer during Howard Hughes' only flight of the Spruce Goose. Photo taken at the Milwaukee museum of H-D.

3922426366_2a2ced453e_o_zps68cae3a6.jpg

ClickHandler.ashx
ClickHandler.ashx
attachment.php

Vesco_lg.jpg

In 2001 Don Vesco’s turbine powered Turbinator raised the official wheel-driven land speed record to 458 MPH and that’s the recognized benchmark top Bonneville Shootout competitors are gunning for. To be sure it is possible to set FIA records in lesser categories, but the Holy Grail is the Turbinator’s unlimited wheel-driven record.

Mr Bill Warner done 202 mph on a Gen 1 Max & 311 on a Busa so this does not impress me a whole bunch.

Attachments

• May 2011 Milwaukee-April HPFFA 062.jpg
    May 2011 Milwaukee-April HPFFA 062.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 86
Fuddruckers was my hangout back in 94-95. First Boss Hog I saw in real life pulled up behind us and we were wondering who would pull up in a hot Camaro or something similar until we turned around and saw that beast. I would change from weekend to weekend from my Max to the ZX-11. And then we'd all head out west to "have a play".

Matt

Mr Bill Warner done 202 mph on a Gen 1 Max & 311 on a Busa so this does not impress me a whole bunch.

Bill Warner did the Busa run here in Maine, up at the old Loring AFB, where they hold LSR runs. He was attempting to officially set the 300 mph mark record when he died.

He is the one who inspired me to start working towards making a LSR bike.

750cc OHC Modified Partially Streamlined Naturally Aspirated Gas class. Last I checked, the record for that class is 188mph. My goal is 200+

To further challenge myself, I shall use a Honda V-twin engine. An NT-700 engine bored out to 749cc in a modded VLX frame.

Here's an interesting bike I saw at Daytona a couple of years ago. A supercharged Gold Wing, and not the 6 cyl. I think this could be the basis for an interesting streamliner.

attachment.php

Attachments

• iphone pictures 6-26-2014 666.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 666.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 70
I had a 78 goldwing that I restored, was gonna supercharge it. I had the link to a place that would build the supercharger for a very stiff price. Those flat 4s would be easy to put a supercharger on. Found a video on YouTube with a supercharged 75 goldwing. That was Honda's muscle bike in 75 first year of production. 2nd fastest bike in the world, the kawi z1000 was faster but only by a second or so. When Honda found out customers were dressing them, they changed gear ratio, and the carb setup to better suit a touring bike.75 to 79 was the gl1000. 80 to 83 was the 1100. 84 to 86 or 87 was the 1200. 88 to 90 or 91 was the 1500 6 and now the 1800 6.

That's funny. He has a distributor where the mechanical fuel pump was, and judging by the valve covers, that's a 1000 cc engine. The only valve covers that say Honda are the gl1000 covers after that they had the cc displayed on them. 1100, 1200.

Latest posts

Back