3 inch extention

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nd4topspd

Reaction score
I am kicking around the mod converting my stock swingarm to a 3 inch extention. Besides the obvious Looks Bad Ass what other improvements can I expect along with any negative thoughts as well. I ride on the highway the most with few twisties around here. I don't run at the track but I do like to twist the throttle and feel the power:biglaugh:

Incant answer what a extended arm will do, But I can make the recommendation of where to by it from .... Sean Morley! His products and customer service is top notch!!

I think the only reason ever for an extended arm is for the drag race track. It'll help put more power down and make wheelies less likely. That's about it. On the street I reckon it's about as useless as a race slick in the rain.

OTOH, it lengthens the bike, which makes turning much slower and changes handling characteristics. I dunno about the US (they seem pretty lax) but I know in Europe any such mod would invalidate your insurance and sometime even require to re-register as a custom-built.

I think the only reason ever for an extended arm is for the drag race track. It'll help put more power down and make wheelies less likely. That's about it. On the street I reckon it's about as useless as a race slick in the rain.

OTOH, it lengthens the bike, which makes turning much slower and changes handling characteristics. I dunno about the US (they seem pretty lax) but I know in Europe any such mod would invalidate your insurance and sometime even require to re-register as a custom-built.

That about sums it up.
Up here there are a few insurance agents who are pretty savvy. There are a couple of Ninjabusacbr's that I know of who went to get insurance and the 6+" swingarm was a deal killer. They ended up returning to stock, then getting the bike insured then putting the extended swingarm back on.

I like the increased stability that the extended arms give. They aren't needed and are supposed to slow the turning up but we've not ever had much problems with them (and those riding behind us in Eureka Springs would agree). BUT, besides the straight line stability at speed the other benefit is reduced (or more controlled) wheelies. It isn't for everyone that's for sure.

I don't think insurance or the tag office would give you a problem. In all honesty I don't even think they would even know about it. Our arms look stock built when all done up and coated.

Sean

Why do people think that just because you extend the swingarm your handling goes away?????? Toxic is stretched 6" (which is just barely 2" longer than the Gen 2 Vmax I might add) and, with the notable exception of some really low speed issues where it wants to fall over instead of turning, it is on rails.:confused2: Last weekend I let Veebooster take Toxic out for a ride and he can confirm that high speed turning is a dream, even twisties are a ton of fun and very easy. To take care of its low speed, we are talking less than 5 mph, issues I just added a steering damper which has prevented it from slamming the front end to one side or the other and falling over instead of turning.

OK Sean, KJ, here is my stoopid question for the week.:biglaugh:

It's a "piece-of-string" question, but you guys should have some idea. Roughly how much time will the 3" extension knock off the 60ft, tyres and such being the same? This is assuming you launch the thing to capacity with the new arm of course, what do you guys rekn, 1 tenth, 2 tenths?

I know on my short swingarm Monster mid 1.8's were OK, mid 1.7's were hard, and the best 60ft on that nasty bitey little bitch was 1.701. That had the front up 4" after 10ft, and hazing the Shinko 003 into 2nd. Any quicker and it threatened to put me over the fence!:punk:I rode a mates custom Monster with a 4" over arm, and reeled off a 1.59 on my 1st pass.

I've done a 1.81 on the '87 Vmax with no spin (150/90x15 IRC Duro-something), and scared the crap outta myself with a 5000 clutch dump (uuhhmmmmm, my left hand is still a bit broken......it was accidental!), and I can get mid1.7's I rekn easy enough, but with the available extra leverage do you think they could drop to lo 1.6's for example?

The little Duc was inconsistent, but bloody good fun!

http://www.dragtimes.com/2006-Ducati-Monster-Pictures-10329.html

WOO!HOO!:eusa_dance:

My best 60' (and 1/4 mile) time on a stock swingarm and stock engined bike was 1.66 60' and 10.98 @ 121. That had a Kosman rear 17" wheel and street radial (170/??/17) - not a shinko or sticky tire.

Most of the time I turn mid low 1.70's 60' (when the front wheel is able to trip the light).

I haven't ran one of my 3" arms on the track yet (seems to either be sold or broken when that time comes) but with a good enough tire I would think 1.50's should be possible.

Sean

OK Sean, KJ, here is my stoopid question for the week.:biglaugh:

It's a "piece-of-string" question, but you guys should have some idea. Roughly how much time will the 3" extension knock off the 60ft, tyres and such being the same? This is assuming you launch the thing to capacity with the new arm of course, what do you guys rekn, 1 tenth, 2 tenths?

It's all a matter of what your used to. When I was getting used to the old dragbike, I was launching at an embarassing 1.70's, but once I got used to it, It was 1.20's were it belonged.

Strapping the front end, longer swingarm, raked front end are all things that help reduce the wheelie effect and plant the power to the ground, and that is the key to a good launch and 60' time. Wheelies eat power if the front end rises too high.

Lauch RPM, body position (where you sit on the bike, not so much if you launch upright or from a tucked position) and how you stage are factors that you can change. Stage shallow, you'll have a better 60', but reaction time tends to be a bit off pace if you normally deep stage or stage in the middle. Stage deep you can cut a light, but 60' is going to be off. don't under estemate how much the little things can effect your launch.

My suggestion is practice your launching to to find what is comfortable to you. Up here we used to have mini drags at the car shows. where they would set-up the xmas tree and have a 60' track. You would do the burnout, then launch. It was pretty cool and a great way to test your launch.

I'd love to see them bring that back. I figure you could get the winner by adding the 60' with the RT and the low number wins. Maybe I'll bring that up at the next Racing Lions meeting.

The main thing is just get as much seat time as you can get. :punk: and things will come together.

Thanks for all the comments guys:clapping: I said my normal riding is on the highway but I do like to blast the 1/4 mile as well but I've always feared the hard launch in fear of that out of control wheelie that sneeks up on ya. Sounds like the 3 inch extention just might be the ticket:biglaugh:

I have an extention- handles just fine in the burbs,even in the twisties-I do have a a steering dampner though.Worst thing is turning him around in the garage!!

Back