440's, worth the money?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries. As luck would have it I couldn't sleep tonight and went by the Bicycle Club to play a little poker. Good flop, netted $400 and was out of there before I finished my first coffee. So the way I see it, some very angry asian guy from Bell Gardens bought me some new shocks.

Wasn't even my birthday.

NICE!!!!!!!:clapping:

I just put my 440 on the bike last week. Let me put this way. I should get them when I bought the bike few years ago! My bike sticks to the road now and I don't avoid a little bumps anymore and my kidneys are very happy! Even my 10 year old boy told me after the ride that is not that bumpy anymore :)

of course I got them from Sean!

Vitek

Just got my tracking info, these are due at my door tomorrooooooooooo!

woot woot woot. Happy fat guy.

Got em installed, bout to go riding at 2/10 preload, will see from there. One thing is certain, I've had the lowered set for so long that the stock length is a little uncomfortable, I fell like I'm going downhill sitting still.

So far I'm gonna say worth every cent.

My only complaint is that they don't look nearly as expensive as they are, LOL. I want people to notice.

Between the fork upgrade and these, I've increased my speeding license to the extent that a brake upgrade is next, and soon. I didn't imagine I could get a bike like the Max to settle down with someone my size on it, but I was running DEEP into turns without the squirm I'm accustomed to. Very reassuring.

So far I'm gonna say worth every cent.

My only complaint is that they don't look nearly as expensive as they are, LOL. I want people to notice.

Between the fork upgrade and these, I've increased my speeding license to the extent that a brake upgrade is next, and soon. I didn't imagine I could get a bike like the Max to settle down with someone my size on it, but I was running DEEP into turns without the squirm I'm accustomed to. Very reassuring.

Throw a set of solid motor mounts or a good frame brace into the mix and the Max will sure up in the twisties even more....

Several hundred miles later....

I'm pretty happy with these. They definitely make a night and day difference in my freeway riding. My only beef, and it would probably have me looking at different shocks if I were to do it again, is a lack of rebound damping adjustment.

Being heavy duty, these guys rebound pretty fiercely. Over small washboardy stuff, they're better than what I had, but they aren't putting down a cadillac ride either. When it comes to control inputs, accel, braking, turning, they're about 1000x more planted and secure feeling than my softer shocks, and they eat big bumps like holes and railroad tracks with aplomb, but the little stuff seems to go straight to my tailbone.

EDIT - I thought I should add, since this thread is about value for cost, that to get the really tits adjustables from Works or Ohlins can run up into the $1200 range, so it's not a terribly fair comparison. I still want rebound damping though :p

Try lowering the pre-load a bit, maybe one notch. it wont hit back as hard as long as you dont bottom out

I've been running all sorts of preload settings to get it hashed out. Right now I seem happiest at 15:100.

I really like mine. The bike feels more "planted" to the ground. The ride is nice too. Plus they look great. What's not to like?

Latest posts

Back