85 hp vs 86

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshn569

Reaction score
I read a few differnet things now that people have posted online that the 85 vmax had hotter cams and made more power, then they were de tuned. ANy truth to this? what was the 85 putting out for stock hp anyway?

all hogwash:biglaugh:....145 hp at the crank...85 thru 07...

Only difference was the pipes on 85 were less restrictive and not legal over here so they restricted the exhaust and dis something to the intake to make the same power....

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

I read a few differnet things now that people have posted online that the 85 vmax had hotter cams and made more power, then they were de tuned. ANy truth to this? what was the 85 putting out for stock hp anyway?
It's just an urban legend.They all made the same power 145 crank.The European Vmax really took a beating on power though.:confused:

The myth stems from the fact the '85 had a louder (as in not meeting highway noise requirements) and less restrictive exhaust. This was revised for '86 up.

To compensate, the v-boost tubes got 2mm larger in diameter. Peak power was unchanged(145hp, or ~112 at the tire), though now it occurred at a slightly lower RPM than it did on the '85 bike.

European models lacked v-boost and thus only had like ~90ish hp, to comply with the 100hp restriction.

Japanese models lacked v-boost, and also had a speed limiter(built into the speedometer) that cut ignition to 2 cylinders at 180km/h (112mi/h), per Japanese federal regulation. This is easy to disable though, IIRC you just have to either cut a wire, or short two together since it's essentially just a switch that is tripped by the speedo needle.

I think I'll add this to the FAQ.....

So is there any advantage/disadvantage to having an 86 and up vboost because of the larger diameter? I have an 85 and am now wondering if i should look for a newer version?

So is there any advantage/disadvantage to having an 86 and up vboost because of the larger diameter? I have an 85 and am now wondering if i should look for a newer version?

If you were to put a pre-neutered version of the exhaust on an 86+ or put the larger vboost on the '85 you would see some additional power.

Back