93 Octane for the Max....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This spring I decided to run 87 octane for three tanks, to get used to the way it rode, and then run 93 to see if there was any difference that could be noticed.

I wasn't sure there would be any difference, because I tried this with other bikes and didn't gain anything. It was surprising, the idle was smoother, there was alot less "buzz" at higher rpms, and I could run at lower rpms in a higher gear smoothly, where before there was annoying vibrations. It seemed to have more power. The difference almost felt like going from a bike that was out of sync to one that was in tune.

My Max is stock in good shape and all the days I ride the weather is the same. I don't disagree you can run 87, the difference was noticeable, and for the better, so 93 is what I'm going to run!

I'm suprised you felt a difference at altitude, usually at higher
altitude you can get away with lower octane levels and higher
compression. Strange ?
I also read an article in Carcraft or Hot Rod mag. some time back
where they stated that the majority of vehicles running premium
didn't need to. Obviously if your running 10.5 to 1 or higher
you would want a higher octane especially at see level. Trust
me if your bike wants high test it will let you know up to and
including pinging. Having said that I run 93 because we are
only talking 80 cents difference in price.
So yea, I'm a hipocrite.:ummm:
Chris

I noticed running 87 in mine the motor didn't seem to run has smooth has it does with the 93. Now on that not I haven't tried 89 yet. My bike has only 3000 miles on it (still new). For the break in I ran 87. The motor sounded ok. Maybe its just in my head. (I have been told that I have head problems) By the wife mostly. :punk:

Your bike feels "smoother" with 93 octane because it's making less power per combustion stroke, and therefore less vibration.

Unless an engine has high enough compression to NEED octane over 87, running anything higher will result in less power. On the other hand, if your tuning sucks, or you have a ton of carbon built up in the combustion chamber you may have a case where higher octane would be of benefit, but that's a motor problem, not an octane statement.

A motor makes the most power running the LOWEST octane it can without pre-ignition or detonation, period. The only way to get more power from higher octane is to raise compression, advance the timing, use forced induction, etc. Of COURSE a race motor makes more power on race gas, because it has very high compression, more advanced timing, etc. A V-Max engine, OTOH, has compression and timing setup by Yamaha for 87 octane. Unless you increase that compression or advance the timing over stock (assuming it's less than optimum already), more octane = less power.

If (I'm not sure on this one), the V-Max was tuned to be right on the "edge" with 87 octane, i.e. it's "barely enough" then a point or two more would be of benefit; I don't know how close Yamaha tuned it, but usually they are pretty conservative with it, so I doubt it's close. A V-Max motor isn't very high strung or high compression really compared to many motors of today.

As far as quality, most name brand gas around here has the same additives regardless of grade (Chevron and Texaco to name a few use Techron in all grades), so that's a moot point too.

I've hand built quite a few high HP automotive supercharged engines, used to be sponsored by the Vortech supercharger company, tuned EFI all day long for years, the above statements have quite a bit of experience behind them, not just something I "Read on the Internet."

Your bike feels "smoother" with 93 octane because it's making less power per combustion stroke, and therefore less vibration.

Unless an engine has high enough compression to NEED octane over 87, running anything higher will result in less power. On the other hand, if your tuning sucks, or you have a ton of carbon built up in the combustion chamber you may have a case where higher octane would be of benefit, but that's a motor problem, not an octane statement.

A motor makes the most power running the LOWEST octane it can without pre-ignition or detonation, period. The only way to get more power from higher octane is to raise compression, advance the timing, use forced induction, etc. Of COURSE a race motor makes more power on race gas, because it has very high compression, more advanced timing, etc. A V-Max engine, OTOH, has compression and timing setup by Yamaha for 87 octane. Unless you increase that compression or advance the timing over stock (assuming it's less than optimum already), more octane = less power.

If (I'm not sure on this one), the V-Max was tuned to be right on the "edge" with 87 octane, i.e. it's "barely enough" then a point or two more would be of benefit; I don't know how close Yamaha tuned it, but usually they are pretty conservative with it, so I doubt it's close. A V-Max motor isn't very high strung or high compression really compared to many motors of today.

As far as quality, most name brand gas around here has the same additives regardless of grade (Chevron and Texaco to name a few use Techron in all grades), so that's a moot point too.

I've hand built quite a few high HP automotive supercharged engines, used to be sponsored by the Vortech supercharger company, tuned EFI all day long for years, the above statements have quite a bit of experience behind them, not just something I "Read on the Internet."

I am not getting the HP out of the 93 has I would the 87. Thats understandable. You make a good point. now I will dare to ask this: what fuel by octane would be good for the longevity (spelling?) of my motor? or it does it really make a differnce?:ummm:

Boomer just proved something I've learned over the years. If you have a comment or opinion, hold off on making it and chances are someone (Boomer, in this case) will say it better and with more authority. Well stated, Boomer. Lots of guys are just wasting "tane." Not to mention, money. But the oil companies love it. "Buy the good shit! Your bike will explode with power!" It's called marketing.

Well....I've learned something.
........gas from the USA is not the same as gas from Canada.
Being a border town American gas is available.
Years ago a carburetor engine would suffer using it because of rock hard deposits that would form in the throttle body and Sea Form won't touch it.
Carb replacement was the only answer.
This did not happen to those that burn Canadian fuel only, so......

1. Isn't all gasoline the same?
    No. In most parts of Canada, many private and independent brands do not provide any cleaning agents in their gasoline, which can leave harmful deposits in your engine. These deposits will reduce your engine's performance over time. Only Petro-Canada's SuperClean (91) gasoline contains Tactrol, our unique formulation of deposit-control additives, which can actually help remove any harmful buildup and prevent its return with regular use. (Tactrol is also available in our RegularClean (87) and PlusClean (89) grades of gasoline.)
  2. Who invented SuperClean gasoline?
    Petro-Canada did. It is our own unique formulation, which we produce within our own company. No other company offers SuperClean gasoline except Petro-Canada.

All i'm saying is that my bike runs better IMO from using the 93. It certainly "feels" like it rides better and judging from most of the comments other max riders have noticed the same thing. If I lose 1 or 2 ponies because of it I could care less. Just another reason to hit the nitrous.

I don't care about 50-60 cents difference on a 4 gallon tank.

All i'm saying is that my bike runs better IMO from using the 93. It certainly "feels" like it rides better and judging from most of the comments other max riders have noticed the same thing. If I lose 1 or 2 ponies because of it I could care less. Just another reason to hit the nitrous.

I don't care about 50-60 cents difference on a 4 gallon tank.

Totally agree. :biglaugh:

I don't think even Yamaha knows what they want you to run in the bike. The owners manual says at least 87 octane, but on my 2006 under the faux tank cover, there is a sticker that says to use 92 octane or better....WTF????

I ran 100 octane combined with about 1.5 gallon of 93 today...So I figure thats a combines 97 octane and the bike ran dam good! A tiny bit better yet!

Ie. the desire to run higher octane anyway, true enough, won't hurt anything and it's cheap in a bike. In some cases like was pointed out, some brands of gas only have the good additives in their premium gas, and I've seen with my own eyes the difference between an engine running good gas (Chevron w/ Techron) and some with lesser additive package.

It really does make a difference in how much carbon builds up in the chamber, on the valves, etc. I go out of my way now to look for a Chevron or Texaco after seeing how good Techron is. I'm sure there are other additives that work well also, but I've never ran any kind of broad testing or anything.

All the brands I run however have the same additive package regardless of grade, so I stick with 87, and it runs great.

One other thing, there are some types of race gas that actually have a very high oxygen content, which can result in increased power. That's a whole other subject aside of octane. :)

One other thing, there are some types of race gas that actually have a very high oxygen content, which can result in increased power. That's a whole other subject aside of octane. :)
Yeah, like corrosiveness, gumed up carbs/efi components, and my personal favorite...lethal fumes! Nothing like giving EVERYONE inside the house(including 5-7 yr olds) major headaches/nausea after your bike w/MR9 in the tank(only 1gal) has been parked in the GARAGE for almost a week. How do i know? I'm sure my WIFE would be happy to tell...BOY was I in the dog house!:bang head:

It sure does wake up a bike though!

Octane threads are like oil threads. Everyone thinks they're right... lol

Use what makes you happy IMO... I use 87 or what ever doesn't have ethanol in it. I ran 124bhp with it and am VERY happy with it.

I agree with everything Boomer had to say... I guess it pays to come late to the game... :biglaugh: We have had this same discussion a hundred times on the SV portal.

Exactly, If you build up carbon in the combustion chamber
you raise compression. If you raise compression you may
need a higher octane level. The answer is to run a fuel
with additives to help reduce the carbon deposits and you
wouldn't have to run a higher octane level.

Ie. the desire to run higher octane anyway, true enough, won't hurt anything and it's cheap in a bike. In some cases like was pointed out, some brands of gas only have the good additives in their premium gas, and I've seen with my own eyes the difference between an engine running good gas (Chevron w/ Techron) and some with lesser additive package.

It really does make a difference in how much carbon builds up in the chamber, on the valves, etc. I go out of my way now to look for a Chevron or Texaco after seeing how good Techron is. I'm sure there are other additives that work well also, but I've never ran any kind of broad testing or anything.

All the brands I run however have the same additive package regardless of grade, so I stick with 87, and it runs great.

Back