A/F screw adjustment question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midmoraider

Reaction score
Hey all, I am trying to get the bike dialed in as good as possible. When setting the a/f screws does anyone ever hook up the carb sync to watch each cylinder? Reason I ask is that I don't notice a whole lot of difference once I start untightening the set screw on the a/f. I can tell when it's closed as it starts to stumble and miss, but seeing exactly where it's "recovered" is a lot more open to interpretation. I thought it might be easier to see when it's good by watching the carbtune. Does this make sense or am I way off here? Thanks.

midmoraider, using the carbtune when adjusting the A/F screws won't help; the two are completly different. The carbtune is used to sync the butterfly valves in the carbs via the mechanical linkages so they all open the same. The A/F screw adjusts the air / fuel mix for idle / low speed engine RPMs.

What you are looking for is an exhaust gas analyzer. Check out Damon Ferriaolo carb video for specifics. Your shop with EGA can dial you in.

When dialing in your A/F screws, it helps to have the synch hooked up simultaneously, and be sure your synch is spot on, but the synch won't alter your A/F settings all that much. Being in synch WILL help you be able to LOWER your idle down below factory specs - which does help you get just the right 'sweet spot' in your individual A/F settings. Just remember to readjust your idle back up to spec when you're finished getting the A/Fs set right.

...just my two cents....

Back