? about fork springs.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrior273

Reaction score
I just bought a 99 Vmax. How or what's a good way to tell if the springs were changed from stock? i don't want to oder new springs if I don't need them.

The stock springs dive horribly under hard braking without running a lot of air in them, and if you run enough air in them to stop it it is way to hard of a ride.

They will also let the front tire hit the radiator when coming down from even the most conservative wheelie (if there is such a thing:biglaugh:)

That's the only way I know to tell without pulling them out and comparing them to a set of aftermarkets.

The factory springs in my 99 were progressively wound so if you pull them and they are straight wound for sure they have been changed.

If you do get springs I highly recommend getting the Racetech gold valve cartridge emulators to go with them, Racetechs emulators will work with racetech or progressive springs either way.....I recommend the racetechs springs but that's just my opinion, others have had good luck with progressives....

I just put in Progressive springs & lowering blocks....the difference is astounding! I've been putting this off since I got the bike.....if you've got stock springs get them outta there!

Dale #2592

I just put in Progressive springs & lowering blocks....the difference is astounding! I've been putting this off since I got the bike.....if you've got stock springs get them outta there!

Dale #2592
I agree with this seintiment totally! I lowered mine 2" with progressive springs and it has made my bike handle better, brake better, and look better!:punk:

I just bought a 99 Vmax. How or what's a good way to tell if the springs were changed from stock? i don't want to oder new springs if I don't need them.

Stock forks, when standing on the side stand are 23.6" from center of wheel axle to the bottom of the lower tripple tree.
If it has a few miles on it it mat have sagged a little bit, but it should still be around that number (600 mm)

But: You may still have progressive springs in it. You dont have to lower it just to change springs (even thoug I recomend it)

On the other hand, you can also lower it without the progressive springs if you cut of the top spacer and add a spacer with the length of what you cut of i?n the "bottom" below the spring under the damper unit (this is not recomended at all - and would probbably give you a straigh out dangerous bike if you take of more than 1")

So there is no sure way to tell what you got just by messuaring the forks. But it can give you a clue.
And of course, if it handles like an old Impala from the 70:s its probbably stock.

I just ordered a set of Progressive front springs for my '92 from Exactrep. I did have some leaking from the bottom end of the left tube. When I replace them I suspect I will have to chage the seals and the seal at the bottom???

Also, should I lower as suggested here when I change out the springs? Is there a thread that walks me through this procedure?

Back