about to pull hair out

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetank

Reaction score
i am new to the vmax and purchased one with a starter clutch problem and stripped down to resemble a bobber(kinda).
where i am at now:
fly wheel wont come off.
i started with an internal puller and it just stripped the threads off of the bolts so i tried to switch to grade 8 bolts.
first i had to tap out the other threads....but the tap broke off inside
after trying to drill it out i decided to use my 3 jaw which fits perfectly
have tried with bolt in and bolt out.
have tried heat
have tried cheater bar
have tried hitting it with a small sledge
even tried hitting it on the side with a dead hammer
i have already broke 3 pullers and now i am using an 8 ton

still nothing...any other ideas
i watched seans videos before i even took it apart...i wish it was that easy

oh yeah one other thing.....previous owner had stripped the signals off...have new ones on order but i need the front mounting bracket...anyone have one on a parts bike that they might be willing to sell me?

thanks for the help in advance

Just keep at it bro. As baz will attest, the flywheel is a PITA. I spent a week pulling mine off, because I didnt realize just how much a SHIT TON of force meant.
It took captainkyle to take pity on me and drive from the Gulf to the Atlantic to educate me as to exactly how much a "shit ton" equates to.

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Hang in there buddy, it will come off. I used a HUGE( not sure of the tonnage ) 3 jaw puller to pop mine off. I bent the bolt and broke a harmonic balancer puller and just about abandonded my religion before I got pissed enough to apply the required force that it takes to do this m/f of a job. My attitude at the time was " I don't care what else I f***-up, this sob is coming off". Good luck, it will come off.

and when it does come off it'll sound like a shotgun, be prepared for a flywheel bouncing along the ground

The words a SHIT TON of force resonate across the hallowed burn out pit of Vmax once again.
Heed those wise words, and know the power of the SHIT TON.
Our saviour Lord Vmax spake, and said MORE POWER. And so it was.

Amen :punk:

I think Garrett got a 3 jaw hydraulic puller to work. They can be rented. If I ever have the displeasure, grade 8 bolts are a good start. PCW has a nice one on their site. I think I'd buy or attempt to copy that. I have a heavy harmonic balance puller, but the strong bolts and supports would be my guess to get her done.

Some props on large tug boats are so hard to remove a small c4 charge is used. Props off of large Boats are also a pia. They come off with a multi- bolt puller, maybe the tech. could be adapted to a Vmax flywheel, got to think on this. Works in a few minutes, but very violent. 40 ton capable, with bolts. Secret-even pressure on the bolts(torqe wrench-20ft lbs max on the Prop Smith), keep the tool square to the wheel. Hope this helps some. Good luck.
Steve-o

Attachments

• prop103[1].jpg
    prop103[1].jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I think Garrett got a 3 jaw hydraulic puller to work. They can be rented. If I ever have the displeasure, grade 8 bolts are a good start. PCW has a nice one on their site. I think I'd buy or attempt to copy that. I have a heavy harmonic balance puller, but the strong bolts and supports would be my guess to get her done.

i got a regular 3 jaw to work, no hydraulics, altho given the chance i woulda used a hydraulic. that was after i got a bolt snapped off (and then the easy out) in the flywheel.

mine was a bit too big though and marred the flywheel a bit. make sure u get a jaw one that fits. autozone/etc also rents them which i forgot about at that point even though i had rented the internal puller from them.

Don't forget to put a long bolt in the center of the fly wheel. Keep it backed out an inch or so. When that M/F finally pops off, the bolt will keep it from flying off the shaft and across the room, which is more exciting but not too safe. Mine took me almost a week before I got mad enough to equal a shit ton. Bike was sliding across the floor (on the center stand) and I thought how much more pressure can this thing take. Constant pressure and tapping the end of the shaft finally paid off.

you can borrow my 12 ton hydraulic if you want. Only problem is it's heavy so don't know what postage cost would be. May be best to see if you can rent one near you. Unscrew middle bolt about 4-5 mm and place washer under head of bolt. You want just enough room to allow flywheel to break loose but not fly off. Once it pops you can unscrew bolt and take wheel off

worked on the mississippi docks for a while...pulled alot of large boat wheels...we actually used a clamp some plates and a wedge...our boss was cheap...lol

new problem....6 ton snap on puller....center shaft threads....gone....will spin and not come off. guess it is time to go get a bigger one

new problem....6 ton snap on puller....center shaft threads....gone....will spin and not come off. guess it is time to go get a bigger one

Wow mine was an 8. Can u get access to a hydaulic??

Here, as well as other situations, size matters. Get the biggest, most heavy duty puller you can fit on the flywheel and stiil clear the block. The one I used had a point on the center bolt so I couldn't leave the flywheel bolt, which was bent anyhow, in the crank. I used an impact socket that fit up against the end of the crank and pushed againt the square drive end. Lube the puller bolt as you apply pressure to keep it turning. I had a 3' cheater bar on my breaker bar and as soon as I got the puller tight, I used a 5' steel pipe in the jaws to keep the crank from turning. I've never came closer to breaking my Craftsman breaker bar and when it let go it sounded like a rifle shot. That's how I got mine off, Good luck!

Ok well I got the tap out of the hole and used a bigger puller....the biggest I could find locally...just ripped the threade out of the fly wheel...guess tomorrow I am calling shops to try to find someone with a hydraulic that can pull it for me

fuck man that sucks. i'd also consider getting it re-balanced when you're done or at least reaming out the remaining threads in the other holes.

alright....a little advise would help.....either a 12 ton jack type or a 10 ton screw type?...what is everyone using and what are your pros and cons?

i used an 8 ton screw type and it worked but the jaws were too 'big' so they didn't sit flush on the flywheel and marred the back a bit.

seems the guys with hdyraulics have the best luck.

i'd see if one end fits on the bolt on the crankshaft better or something like that.

with this much pressure do we have to worry about the threads on the crankshaft?!?!

Latest posts

Back