Adventures with Powdercoating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pat not sure what your getting at. I have had a few people who do pcing look at my bike n they saidt pc will never look like paint finish. Just stating my opinion. I prefer paint that's all. Oh n my bike hasn't been wet sanded n buffed no need the paint looks like glass. I sure wouldn't want to have to wet sand n buff my wheels.

I think the consensus is Paint is better than PC in many ways and I am a PC guy. PC is just a damn good alternative for the home DIYer because it does not require a high talent level, has low equipment requirements, is cheaper and more forgiving than painting.
If I were a pro painter, I doubt I would have messed with PCing. Anyone with misconceptions that you can get more appealing PC results than with paint needs to come back to earth. The end point being that a dummy without a ton of money can get decent PC finishes for their bikes which is not the case for automotive paint.

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

Now I did have outstanding results on my 1968 Triumph oil tank / tool box side panels. They were powdercoated gloss black, polished, decals applied then clear coated over the decals. Its like looking into a black mirror. Feel like you can reach into the panel. Before polishing the finish was not as stunning though.

PATMAX...your words of wisdom ring true & clear! I'd also like to point out that most "factory" paint jobs (Harley included) are not of a "mirror" quality. PC fills a void...you can get good durable finishes for a fraction of the price.

PC is in it's infancy...the auto manufacturers will push it forward...just like they did with paint. Of course there are limitations currently...but with time & research those limitations will be mitigated.

As a DIYer there is no better path for me to be on. I get excellent results that have stood the test of time. No amount of PC bashing will change that...

Alas...PC does have many advantages, taken from the article linked above "Powder topcoats resist acid rain, the sun’s ultraviolet rays and road and weather damage, helping cars retain their “showroom look” much longer (than regular clear-coat) and improving their resale value."

These are facts...not an opinion...

Rear arm PC'd & installed...finally!!

Lower forks done as well...will post pic at some point...

Attachments

• Arm.jpg
    Arm.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 27
  • instal.jpg
    instal.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 30
Here are the forks...went back together real easy with the help of Sean's awesome Youtube vid & my shadetree race/seal driver!

Attachments

• Forks.jpg
    Forks.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Fork Tool.jpg
    Fork Tool.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 20
Rear arm PC'd & installed...finally!!

Lower forks done as well...will post pic at some point...

Very nice work Frank, in applications like that, PC is my choice by far. Swinngarms take lots of abuse as do lower fork legs. Any doubt as to the toughness of PC? Try blasting off a properly coated piece.
Steve

Baz,

The black is PBTD...it's called Wet Black and is probably the best powder I've shot. It's the 3x stuff...so it's supposed to be a little tougher (couldn't tell ya personally if that is true or not).

I'm going to try my faux tank at some point...might need some pointers from the pros on that one!!

Frank

I sold two of the airbox covers I've done with satisfactory results but...some covers have a pronounced joint right down the center and could have used filler and sanding before coating. I saw the depression more so after the nice glossy finish was on. It was sandblasted and dull before I started and I did not notice the dip. The other lid I did flat black and looks great. I did coat top and bottom for protection which added some noticable weight. The steel is plenty thick and powder will flow out nice on it as it holds temp so much better than side covers. I seem to get some orange peel on the side covers still.
My current bike has a four year old powdercoat job that still looks new. It is done in silver vein as were my wheels, scoops, engine covers, and sissybar. It's all still too nice to even consider redoing them a new color just for the sake of change.

If I can find the powders, I'm gonna do a bike in the Schwinn Stingray colors of my youth. Giant metalflake candy green and silver. I know the green sparkle vinyl is available for the seat from LePera. I just have to convince Twisted to do a Maxgasser for me in the material!

I hear ya about the imperfections...the high gloss powders really bring them out! I know I need to fill my faux cover as it is all bondo'd up. I bought some lab metal...will be curious how easy/hard it is to work with...

Curious if a clear topcoat would help...seemed to help on the Vrod I shot over the winter...

Was rebuilding my carbs and thought...what the hell...so I PC'd my carb brackets...included before & after shots to kinda justify the effort...a bit on the anal side, but somewhat unique...complete rebuild, replaced all hardware with black hex bolts as well...

Attachments

• Carb1.jpg
    Carb1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Carb6.jpg
    Carb6.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Carb2.jpg
    Carb2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Carb4.jpg
    Carb4.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 39
Here's how I rolled with mine. Nothing fancy. Media blast, MEK wash, cook it off and start puffing on the powder.
Under the bike it ought to last forever.
utyhevy9.jpg
genedyje.jpg

PATMAX...who's chrome do you use? I use Eastwood's and get similar results as you (although I've seen real nice chrome PC and I'm curious what's the better supplier out there - the quality of the powder can make all the difference...). Did you clear them or is it single stage?

Glad to see I'm not the only one crazy enough to do this, but figured since the carbs were apart for rebuild why not?!?!?!?!?

While I use a few different suppliers of powder, I'm clueless if a few companies supply everybody. I have settled on Columbia Coatings and Caswell as my two go to suppliers. I am always looking for "Sale" items where they bundle a certain color or let you pick three colors of your choice for a reduced price. I guess it is how they sell more product. This chrome is Columbia's.
Not all my carb plates need PC but these were off the "Rattlecan Special" and the factory finish was too far gone and I did not want to get away from a stock look.
e7ysaru4.jpg
aqe9eduq.jpg
ybe7yha9.jpg
6era3a8a.jpg

More customer work.

Here are some of my customer's items (vrod), I'm very happy with the wet black from PBTP...great finish, but there is a true lack of consistancy in the marketplace. The Eastwood translucent red flows great...the chrome not so great...PBTP wet black is awesome...the red black (vrod) was a bitch to deal with. I'd like to find a source where all products offered were of similar quality...maybe I'm asking for too much, but I don't think so...

Attachments

• vrod1.jpg
    vrod1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 28
  • vrod2.jpg
    vrod2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 24
I recently bought new rims for my car, well not quite new but straight and good condition.
I decieded to paint them a new and got attracted by fancy chrome PC paint i've seen recently.
After recommended thin layer of color it really looked like chrome. After recommended clear coat
its more like titanium/grey...not recommended.

4nyh.jpg

Back