Adventures with Powdercoating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics are a little too fuzzy for me to comment on...Turnaround on something that small should be quick as a quick media blast will get the metal in good shape. Shooting small parts is easy...the big stuff is another story...

Probably not many parts FireMedic would not recognize. Fmc is right on with turnarounds. Small parts can be hung on a wire and I have shot 5-6 small pieces at once. Media blasting is a couple minutes per piece, a quick spray down/wash and I'm ready to hang parts in the oven. Probably takes me longer to heat the oven and pack finished parts for shipping than the actual time spent coating but one can't forget cleaning the gun time and all the other related tasks. Just don't want anyone to think I can prep, spray, inspect and pack a part in just a few minutes.
My biggest delays are personal scheduling and the ability to accumulate enough parts to bother firing up the oven. I have done a single piece for a customer but I prefer not to do it that way and make more economical sense.

Yeah...heating the oven takes forever!!! There is more to it than folks think and the steps required to get a good finish are generally unappreciated. Plus, for me, it's a hobby so scheduling is always difficult. I learned this for my bike...just wish I was actually working on my bike vs. taking care of other's projects...

Doggone, me Mr Andrew are living parallel lives a thousand miles apart! I had to chuckle when I read the last post. My carb brackets had dirt nibs that I would never send out to a customer but are fine for my 1990 daily runner. Now my 85 Drag bike is a different story!

Patmax...I definately hold 2 standards...just like you I don't get too picky on my daily rider...but take other's very seriously. Attached is a pic of my bud's Vrod...I put in some serious time on this project because he was a paying customer...base & clear coat on everything as well as cut & buff the tank...things I most certainly would not do on my ride.

Of course I took a beating (compared to the money I make on tax returns), but I know this would have cost him a fortune to have done "professionally" or custom painted (I was quoted $300 to have my rear fender painted...I charged him $300 for the entire job). I, of course, have limitations being a hobbyist...so perfection is never the goal.

He was thrilled with the results...I was kept busy while the wife & kid were in Taiwan for 10 weeks...so all is good!

I enjoy the hobby...constantly challenges me as every job is unique & a learning experience!!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 37
Patmax...I definately hold 2 standards...just like you I don't get too picky on my daily rider...but take other's very seriously. Attached is a pic of my bud's Vrod...I put in some serious time on this project because he was a paying customer...base & clear coat on everything as well as cut & buff the tank...things I most certainly would not do on my ride.

Of course I took a beating (compared to the money I make on tax returns), but I know this would have cost him a fortune to have done "professionally" or custom painted (I was quoted $300 to have my rear fender painted...I charged him $300 for the entire job). I, of course, have limitations being a hobbyist...so perfection is never the goal.

He was thrilled with the results...I was kept busy while the wife & kid were in Taiwan for 10 weeks...so all is good!

I enjoy the hobby...constantly challenges me as every job is unique & a learning experience!!!

That vrod looks good.

It does now :)

The origional color was anodized aluminum...kinda dull...pretty much looked like the PC'd frame...largest project to date. Of course his bike is looking good and all together...mine is in 100 peices spread between the garage & basement...

It does now :)

The origional color was anodized aluminum...kinda dull...pretty much looked like the PC'd frame...largest project to date. Of course his bike is looking good and all together...mine is in 100 peices spread between the garage & basement...

I believe that was the color of the first V-Rod produced. Kinda unique. I personally like bright colors though.. :biglaugh:

My bud picked the color...it looks very different on the PBTP website (Black Red) than in person...and it was a real pissa to work with...PBTP tried to change my mind...I think they knew it was somewhat misrepresented on the site...

Unique was the objective...I powdered the rear backrest & fron fender support bracket a wet black...it nicely enhances/contrasts the base color...bolts were also PC'd black...just a nice touch...IMHO

Oh...2002 Vrod only came in the anodized silver...just an FYI (I looked it up)

That was what I was saying. 2002 was the first year. Don't remember a tank with an aluminum finish since some of the old BSA tanks. Mostly on dirt bikes if I remember correctly.

Yeah...ok...crazy thing is that those 2002 Vrod skins are truly anodized...big bucks to replace...rare to find used ones in good shape...oh no...too much Harley chat...might be getting myself in trouble...

Something to share with the PC DYI crowd...as you all know I PC'd a bud's Vrod, finish was good but, as always, wanted it better...so we stumbled accross this stuff (see pics), not sure if it works on colors yet (this has clear coat), but the shine is killer and best part is...no machine required...just a bit of elbow grease :clapping:

Attachments

• IMG_20130420_181826.jpg
    IMG_20130420_181826.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20130421_123503.jpg
    IMG_20130421_123503.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 27
Dang iPhone, I can't make out what the bottle reads. For all I know, it could be udder cream!

You can buff,sand,polish,rub,spit on it what have you till you are blue in the face. You will NEVER get a finish like clear coat base coat !!!! & ya people say it chips easier, I have parts that were pced & are already chipped & you guessed it my painted parts have NOT chipped. This winter I am having all pced parts painted. The trick is to have someone who knows how to paint paint for you. They have been painting things for years !!!!

Dont give a shit about what they are doing. You guys doing this from ya garages arent getting the same quality nor have the ovens etc. I'm just saying the quality (home pc) is not & will never be the same finish as paint ...

Look at the date that article was posted 2003 I guess they arent going to be pcing cars anytime soon ..

Dont give a shit about what they are doing. You guys doing this from ya garages arent getting the same quality nor have the ovens etc. I'm just saying the quality (home pc) is not & will never be the same finish as paint ...

Look at the date that article was posted 2003 I guess they arent going to be pcing cars anytime soon ..

i think comparing the DIY PC to the pro paint isn't fair either. pro to pro p/c will hold up 100x better IMHO.

But i'd tend to disagree overall, i've had pro paint chip before my diy or pro powdercoating.

Wow, did someone piss in NV's coffee or what? I must have missed where someone tried to tell him PC is better in all respects over paint. When he redoes all his powdercoating, I am sure it will be just as reasonably priced to paint as PC'd parts. Lets see, primer, reducer, catalyst, flex additive, adhesion promoter, hours of prep to sand and fill. Hours to wet sand. Oh yeah, lets clear it now so it can outlast PC. And a final wet sand and another buff out. Yep, paint is definitely the way to go to get my old frame pieces and grab rails to look awesome. It only cost me $1,000 bucks and two weeks time
For another $1,500, I can get a deal on getting some one of a kind skulls painted on my tins. The guy at the Harley dealership set me up with their customer painter. I'm lucky to even get him to look at my Yamaha parts.

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

Back