air fuel mixture screws

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

113s&s

Reaction score
new max owner 06..very impressed with the bike not so much the power but how it handles and rides and the smoothness..still in breaking period,,,can i open the air fuel mixture screws to help with startups and soften the low rpm stumble and pooping through air box.....will opening up this adjustment help in the range from startup to 2500 rpm thanks 113...Im planning on keeping this bike stock......

It should pop for the first several minutes. If it pops or is suffering from leanness when the temp gage needle is at the 2nd mark then it's pro baby set to lean. If you can start the bike w/o choke when the engine is cold then your pilot mixture is too rich.

To get access to the a/f screws just drill out the mixture screw caps and then screw in a self-tapping screw and pull with a pliers. Careful when drilling, otherwise drill bit might hit the screw.

There's a sticky post in the Carbs section on how to set your mixture screws. Make sure you check you carb sync too.

Mark

It should pop for the first several minutes. If it pops or is suffering from leanness when the temp gage needle is at the 2nd mark then it's pro baby set to lean. If you can start the bike w/o choke when the engine is cold then your pilot mixture is too rich.

To get access to the a/f screws just drill out the mixture screw caps and then screw in a self-tapping screw and pull with a pliers. Careful when drilling, otherwise drill bit might hit the screw.

There's a sticky post in the Carbs section on how to set your mixture screws. Make sure you check you carb sync too.

Mark

thats where in confused mark...bike is all stock...cold starts pull chock full open wont start halfway ...wont start...third try closed chock..get it to catch with throttle...then adjust chock for a little higher idel for warm up...i would not think a stock max would be rich from factory..after warn up runs good but at times when fully warm can get a few pops in air box....over all runs great...just concerned with startups

I had the same problem with my 07 when I bought it. I checked the synch on the carbs and the #3 cylinder was off by 8" of vacuum compared to the remaining cyliders. After I synched the carbs I adjusted all 4 air-fuel screws to 3.5 turns out. fwiw...They were set at the factory at about 2.2 out. Now the bike warms up faster and it doesn't hiccup as much. So like Mark said, be sure to check the sync first. Good Luck!

Clay,
2007 Vmax (Stock)
1987 Honda Super Magna (Full Custom)

new max owner 06..very impressed with the bike not so much the power but how it handles and rides and the smoothness..still in breaking period,,,can i open the air fuel mixture screws to help with startups and soften the low rpm stumble and pooping through air box.....will opening up this adjustment help in the range from startup to 2500 rpm thanks 113...Im planning on keeping this bike stock......

Vmax's are very cold blooded.Best to warm up for a good 5 minutes when cool outside.These are not running right till the gauge is halfway up to hot.

So think its funner than the 113 S&S ? One of my old friends that I grew up with has some 130hp aftermarket harley motor in his softail.Keeps avoiding me to ride and race though?????

Mitchel thanks for reply,,with more miles on it ..it runs better and better,,,,,not the warnups im concerned with mostley that the choke dont seen to do its job at first start of the day...you answered my question about the mixture screws...as far as open..i was going to try open up the screws to help with startups..but think ill wait till i get the carbs adjusted for the first time.....

Hi shawn had my Harley for 15 years ...113 installed 5 years ago....with 127 lbs of torque and 112 hp could hold its own for a while with the max..at 100 too 300 lbs more than most bikes it put a hurting on alot of metrics through the years...but i picked my spots wisely....if the max wasnt so much fun id be bumming out....max will pull it big time in a quarter or top speed....but from 70 to 110 in fifth gear the 113 might pull the max for a short time.........my bike was 100lbs more then the max

"""So think its funner than the 113 S&S ? One of my old friends that I grew up with has some 130hp aftermarket harley motor in his softail.Keeps avoiding me to ride and race though?????""""

For a very good reason your buddy is smart to not get his ass spanked! :)

Mitchel thanks for reply,,with more miles on it ..it runs better and better,,,,,not the warnups im concerned with mostley that the choke dont seen to do its job at first start of the day...you answered my question about the mixture screws...as far as open..i was going to try open up the screws to help with startups..but think ill wait till i get the carbs adjusted for the first time.....

Hi shawn had my Harley for 15 years ...113 installed 5 years ago....with 127 lbs of torque and 112 hp could hold its own for a while with the max..at 100 too 300 lbs more than most bikes it put a hurting on alot of metrics through the years...but i picked my spots wisely....if the max wasnt so much fun id be bumming out....max will pull it big time in a quarter or top speed....but from 70 to 110 in fifth gear the 113 might pull the max for a short time.........my bike was 100lbs more then the max

I recommend that if you ever decide to race any of your harley buddies don't stay in fifth.Down shift to third and stand on it up through the gears.70-110 will be right after hitting fourth shifting at 9500rpm.I never do the fifth gear roll on against somebody.

I recommend that if you ever decide to race any of your harley buddies don't stay in fifth.Down shift to third and stand on it up through the gears.70-110 will be right after hitting fourth shifting at 9500rpm.I never do the fifth gear roll on against somebody.

id always stay in 5th only because thats the strong point of the 113....and 5th rollons with other v twins shows the true power out put of the motor...had smaller meterics 600 and 750 inline fours down shift a gear or two and just keep falling back for a while...1000 CI inline
would downshift and pull away hard...so im sure the max should do the same

id always stay in 5th only because thats the strong point of the 113....and 5th rollons with other v twins shows the true power out put of the motor...had smaller meterics 600 and 750 inline fours down shift a gear or two and just keep falling back for a while...1000 CI inline
would downshift and pull away hard...so im sure the max should do the same

I bought an '06 Max last year and it was the tightest motor I ever had to break in...:confused2:

Putting a full exhaust on it made a hell of a difference IMHO.:banana: Weight loss alone is worth every penny!

I bought an '06 Max last year and it was the tightest motor I ever had to break in...:confused2:

Putting a full exhaust on it made a hell of a difference IMHO.:banana: Weight loss alone is worth every penny!

ill tellya the first 100 miles or so bike felt like a slug..with 200 miles could feel it getting stronger....with the 500 on it now its a different animal could not believe how the power delivery is changing..cant wait to feel it at 1000 miles....more i start reading the archives the more i can see to leave it alone in stock form...use to take my metrics up epping drag way in N.H and race a lot of street bikes for fun ... at the time i wqs riding suzuki 1150e...what i seen and found was...the bikes that where kept stock where kicking ass on the same kind of bikes that added pipes and carb kits..all the kits did was sound louder and burn more gas....someone said on this forum for all around use and power you cant beat the stock setup and i agree....4gasem i do agree the weight difference of the pipes is a power gain with just the weight alone...if you dont have to rejet its even better

well to answer my own question on startups...weather havent realy been colds im talking about...60 70 deg starts first start of day...half choke with throttle cracked open and she fires right up...also notice far less popping as motor breaks in..almost none at all.and none after its fully warm....any vmax owners in the boston area with a carb kit and pipes Id like to give you a go...to see how its working out for ya

2 1/4 turns out seems to be the spot for my stock machine will run at a higher setting like say 2 1/2 but at 2 1/2...between smell of gas at idle and not a crisp startup when warm.....2 1/4 seems like the place to be...stock setting was 1 1/2...........1000 to 2000 rpm range was improved pulling away from a light.....only info for new members everyone else already has the answers :ummm: :hmmm:..

Back