Air Vs Electric Shifter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1st Shirt Maxer

Reaction score
I am starting the upgrades for having some fun at the track. So far I found air shifters and electric shifters for track day so my question is what are the pros and cons to both. Fitment, looks and price are irrelevant I just want to make sure what I put on the bike will last as it will take some time to get the bike where I want it.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

Never had any personal experience with either myself but I imagine that an air shifter would require a reservoir and compressor, plumbing etc whereas an electric system would be just a solenoid and a switch. Might be possible to activate an electric system via a tach reading for optimum shift patterns ?
Sean would probably be the one to ask for a more definitive answer.

Chris.

The electric shifters just cut the ignition for a split second when you press on the shifter- essentially performing the same thing as when you are manually clutchless shifting- (preloading the shifter, and doing an ultra quick throttle roll off and back on. ) This lets the transmission unload and the next gear just slip right in. Fastest way to shift.

This will be easier to install, and simpler then an air system. No clutch, and no roll off needed. Just shift and the electric box does the rest for you.

I've got an air shifter on mine, no experience with electric shifters though. There's going to be a small amount of fabrication with either one. What has been said is correct about the air shifter, you need a tank, and a small 12v compressor but neither are hard to come up with. I have some pretty detailed pics I can post if you want, currently I'm using my swingarm as the air tank (used to use an air bottle) and have a small 12v compressor under the passenger seat. All you can see on my setup is the small pneumatic cylinder that actually makes the shift and everything else is hidden.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

The electric shifters just cut the ignition for a split second when you press on the shifter- essentially performing the same thing as when you are manually clutchless shifting- (preloading the shifter, and doing an ultra quick throttle roll off and back on. ) This lets the transmission unload and the next gear just slip right in. Fastest way to shift.

This will be easier to install, and simpler then an air system. No clutch, and no roll off needed. Just shift and the electric box does the rest for you.

I think he is referring to an active electric shifter like this one below.

http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/

Regarding the ignition kill you can either use one at the lever or (for me) the best solution is the ignitech TCI that allows you to program everything from:
input for kill such as clutch switch or any handlebar switch or similar, delay for the kill and even an input to actuate the solenoid to do the shifting for you. With this electric shifter and Ignitech you can have a semi automatic transmission actuated by switches at the handlebar by instance to raise and lower gears if im making myself clear. All controlled by the Ignitech. It does even more if you want to explore it a bit further. its an awesome unit. teh Racer 3 version is even better.

An air shifter can run off of a CO2 canister that are used for paint ball guns. No need for a compressor with that scenario. Makes for a very simple clean install.

Electric shifters can be a little more finicky......high pressure CO2 can provide more force than an electric solenoid.

Dale Walker (holeshot.com) used to sell (not sure if he does anymore) an electric shifter that could be used on a Vmax. It is cable driven from a solenoid mounted remotely.

The systems we've used/sold for the Vmax are actually Electric Over Air (we usually sell the Pingle brand). Electronics at the handle bar down to an air solenoid that trips air to pull/push the shift mechanism. You can use a full air system but it's a bit more complicated to setup and have air lines run all the way up to the bar.

My friend has a turbo GSX1000 and turbo Hayabusa street bikes. Both have aftermarket stretched swingarms that double as air tanks for his air shifters. There are 2 fittings on the swingarm/tank an on board compressor.

Yep, we used a tank on our drag fazer when we had the stock arm and then went with the in tank on the arm when we stretched it. KJ has info on here somewhere showing his CO2 bottle conversion which was very slick.

My friend has a turbo GSX1000 and turbo Hayabusa street bikes. Both have aftermarket stretched swingarms that double as air tanks for his air shifters. There are 2 fittings on the swingarm/tank an on board compressor.
That's how I did mine when I extended my swingarm on my 94, you can only pressurize the brake side and the underbrace but it works real nice and has plenty of capacity. No need for external bottles like a CO2 system and 12v compressors are really cheap. I bought my Pingle air shifter kit from Sean (good price too!) and fabbed the brackets myself. CO2 is less fabrication obviously but it's a bitch trying to hide the bottle and valves associated with them lol Anyway you do it I highly recommend some kind of mechanized shifting if your gonna be out racing or beating the hell out of you bike, these things shift like a 1940's Allis Chalmers and missed gears are the death of the transmissions so anything you can do to assist positive gear engagement at wot is worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Pingel now has the full electric kit for the Gen 1, I use mine daily with NO issues.

Back