Another d*** scoop question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA VMax

Reaction score
As everyone knows, the VMax scoops are bad to corrode... as mine have on my new-to-me 1998. My question is, can the clear coat be removed and the corrosion removed and re-clear coated to look like factory scoops? If so, can anyone describe the process for me?

As everyone knows, the VMax scoops are bad to corrode... as mine have on my new-to-me 1998. My question is, can the clear coat be removed and the corrosion removed and re-clear coated to look like factory scoops? If so, can anyone describe the process for me?

There is a thread about polishing scoops, try doing a search and/or check in the 'How to' section.

I polish my scoops. It is a lot of work to get them back to a shiny new look and then you have to maintain them if you want them to stay that way. If you like the shiny of chrome you might just as well save your time and get it chromed. No matter how much you sand, buff, and buff and buff and then polish some more, your going have polish them every time water sits on it too long.

Last edited:
It's going to be very difficult to match the factory finish. As noted you can easily polish the scoops but chroming by far is the least amount of maintenacen. We offer chroming services and a few on here have scoops from me. We of course can chrome about anything on the bike and I can chrome your parts or for a bit more we can send you some of my parts that are already done and you send back your cores.

Sean Morley

Raw polished aluminum with a few coats of Liquid Glass rubbed on lasts for years with little or no maintenance. http://www.liquidglass.com/lgpolish.htm

I did my valve & engine covers on my previous bike. 10 years on and they still looked good.

Trevor

Attachments

• 104_0414.jpg
    104_0414.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 39
Sean how much is it to have them chromed and what is the wait time thanks

Email me for a full price list - [email protected]

Short answer - to chrome yours (3-4 weeks turn-around):
$180 + shipping + 7% environmental fee + 3% if you use paypal.

To use mine (normally ships within a few days).
$230 + shipping + 7% environmental fee + 3% if you use paypal.

Black Chrome runs 20% more (to the base price).

Sean

Try chrome,thats what i did ,love the look and lest maintenance.

I agree cant beat chrome its maintanence free and shines 10X's better then polished aluminum you wont be dissapointed.
I had my scoops and other parts chromed by Chromemasters who also does all of OCC Orange County Choppers work. They still looks as great as the day I picked them up back over 7 yrs ago.

http://chromemasters.com/

Air Scoops 180.00 Carb tops 20.00 Each
Side/Battery covers 60.00 each Grab rail 85.00
Light cover/ Signal mount 35.00 Val Covers 100.00 each
2" motor plate 25.00
Sissy Bar 3pc 120.00
Pedal Lever 20.00 2pc V-H emblems 40.00
Yamaha Emb 1 x 4 plate 25.00

They also offer the VMAO discount if your a member which I believe lowers the price to 150.00

You need to see them side by side sometime. They look good on thier own but ignorance can be bliss.

Sean

Just an update to this thread, tried to sand the corrosion out but realized that I would never get them to look like I wanted. Decided to sent them to Sean and have them BLACK CHROMED!

Latest posts

Back