Another Kerker 4-1 too loud thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rags260z

Reaction score
Hi Guys, first post here. Actually, first post in a motorcycle forum. Anyway, I bought a 2006 with 1600 miles on the clock about 2.5 months ago and although I think the bike is terrific, I don't think my neighbors do. The bike has a Kerker 4-1 exhaust with stage 7 jetting. Obviously I love the way it runs and don't want to lose too much power or have to start rejetting, but I would like to be able to quiet it down a little. At idle and during warmup would be best. I've read through some of the posts and it looks like I might try a 2" baffle. What concerns me is the opening on my can is 2.75" and doesn't have a cap that resembles any of the caps that I have seen on here. Would a 3/4" decrease in diameter make too much of a difference for the jetting I have?

I really want to get this right the first time.

Joe

Hi Guys, first post here. Actually, first post in a motorcycle forum. Anyway, I bought a 2006 with 1600 miles on the clock about 2.5 months ago and although I think the bike is terrific, I don't think my neighbors do. The bike has a Kerker 4-1 exhaust with stage 7 jetting. Obviously I love the way it runs and don't want to lose too much power or have to start rejetting, but I would like to be able to quiet it down a little. At idle and during warmup would be best. I've read through some of the posts and it looks like I might try a 2" baffle. What concerns me is the opening on my can is 2.75" and doesn't have a cap that resembles any of the caps that I have seen on here. Would a 3/4" decrease in diameter make too much of a difference for the jetting I have?

I really want to get this right the first time.

Joe

I say screw the neighbors!!!! LOL j/k Personally I'd pull apart the can (3 screws on the end) and see if there's any packing left in there... Mine actually got quieter with the comp baffle installed but my 2.25" baffle did have all the packing burnt out... Some regular fiberglass insulation will work to repack the can but won't last as long but insulation is so cheap you can do it every year and not break the bank.. If your dead set on a smaller baffle then offer up a trade, I'm sure there's someone on here that'll trade you the small baffle for the big one but remember the bike will be more raspy with the smaller can...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Ugh! I'm actually trying to lose the raspyness! So if the smaller baffle makes the sound even more raspy, I'm going to have to look for a different solution. Oh also, all of the packing is in there. It's also still yellow in color!

Is there any can I can purchase that will deepen the sound?

Joe

i think the same outlet size but longer can? im just thinking out loud but is this a reasonable answer and where would you find the can?

i have dual 2.75" outlets and ive compared my exhaust to other sized dual, and aside from the outlet size, the 'tone' can be tuned i think by shortening (sharper), or lengthening (softer) the can.

Anyone can support, deny this idea?

peace,
evan....

Make yourself happy first and tell the neighbors you turned down a straight pipe H.D. for the baffled Max. I just switched my Kerker 4-1 for a HMF 4-2 and can't tell any performance difference , but it is less raspy and more mellow / deeper sounding , and I love the balanced look from behind.

Attachments

• Group 3   5-28-12 601.jpg
    Group 3 5-28-12 601.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 50
One of my friends had the comp baffle and no one wanted to ride anywhere near him (at least beside or behind)! :biglaugh: It was painful!

He swapped to the 1.5" baffle and it was a lot quieter and it sounds better to me. :confused2: In fact, I think it is quieter than my Kerker slip-ons... Which I am getting rid of and going back to stock. Just too loud for me. I don't like loud! Good sound, yes. Real loud, no...

My 4-2-1 Kerker was loud as sin, the PO told me he had just repacked it so I thought I was stuck with it, I pulled the cap and baffle out to find a whole strip of the packing had blown out, I wrapped and WIRED new packing around it, as much as I could get and still stuff it back in the can, huge difference, it quietened down a lot, all most too much so check the packing, I got mine at Cycle gear and don't forget to wrap it with good wire.

If you are on a Budget too get it too quiet down go too your local hardware store and buy Stainless Steel Wool , fine grade and repack with it , last longe then normal packing or FMF offers a Good Packing made for 4 stroke dirt bikes cost about twenty bucks but last a long time with less breakdown in material . Kurt

Back