Another no spark after replacing starter clutch thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sufidancer

Reaction score
Greetings fellow Maxxers.

I decided to start a new thread on this age old problem.

I have a 2000 vmax that for the past month has vexed me starting with the carbs acting up and having issues starting and idle. I did the peashooter and cleaned the hell out of it and it did start and improve but still idle like crap. But it rode.

Then my starter clutch gave up. I replaced it. However I did not replace the 3 allens to the starter clutch so I was back into it in 2 days. I replaced the starter clutch with new bolts and peaned them. And had to order a new crank woodruff.

In the process of starting the max I decided to siphon out my tank and replace the fuel filter. Holy crap the fuel filter looked like original equipment. The bike started great, ran and gave nice throttle response. Unfortunately I had a little oil leak in the stator cover/case. So I turned it off and drained the oil and took off the allens on the stator cover/case once I was getting the cover off I realized I needed to take off the other cover and peg and shifter first in order to get the stator cover off. Well that sucked because I was sitting there holding that big cover and had no where to put it and the wires where getting some tension. I gingerly laid it down on the ground but there was some tension on the wires, while I took off the peg and shifter and other cover. I got the new gasket done, put it all back together and went to bed.

Next morning the damn bike would not start. Nothing. I had just changed the battery a month ago with the larger box / Goldwing battery and the bike starter sounded smooth and good. I hooked up the bike to my truck and had a jumper cables going to keep power to the bike while I tried cranking. I could hear the slight muffled thump thump every time the thing turned over but no "catch" and no signs of smoke coming from the carbs what so ever. I eventually pulled a spark plug, plugs not that old maybe last season. The plug looked fine but a bit wet from gas. I hooked the plug to the spark plug wire and grounded the plug with a pliers and could see NO spark. I went on the right side and pulled the front spark plug and did the same. NO SPARK. So I am thinking I screwed something up with those wires that go to the stator and what ever they connect to.

I checked the fuse under the seat for ignition and it was good and to be sure I put the spare in the ignition and tried to crank and still no spark.

I did find some corrosion on 2 wires under the VMAX badge cover , I cleaned them well the connectors and reconnected them. NOTHING. I check the ohms with my meter of the black and the orange wire under the seat that is I think the ignition. It read 6 Ohms If I did it correct. I don't know if I am suppose to turn on the key when I check this wire. The only way I could check it was to stick my probe inside the connector on the little blades.

So now I guess I need to once again open the case and look at the stator wires and the bundle of wires under there to make sure I did not bugger anything up in there. Which sucks cuz this is like the third time Ive been into this case. So I will report back after I do that hopefully it is a disconnected wire. I can not think my stator shit the bed like that. Forgive my ignorance but Would the stator going out keep me from getting spark?

Sorry this is so long. Any advice is very welcome. This bike needs to get back on the road.

Check the ohm reading on the pickup coil. Look for the connector with the orange wire and black wire under the seat around the left rear of the battery. Unplug it and measure the connection leading down to the left (which is eventually located in the cover you removed to access the starter clutch).

You may have broken a wire or pinched it when reinstalling. You should have 80-120 ohms approx.

Sounds like Sean has nailed the source of your problem.
As well, resistance testing is never done with current running thru a circuit. Keep that ignition switch off!
Cheers!

Good morning Sean, I'll do that right after work today. I found that connector yesterday
the one with the orange and black wire on left underseat beside battery. It has a white thin plastic connector. I took the connector apart and inside the male side I placed my voltmeter probe (+red lead) to one of the little brass colored blades and grounded the (-black lead probe) to bare metal frame Probing each little blade the orange side and black side I read like
6 ohms. I'm gonna check it again today to be sure. If it is indeed 6 Ohms what would that indicate? I really appreciate the help.

1. Am I suppose to put the black probe on one little blade and the red probe on the other to get the reading?

2. Do I turn the ignition key to the on position when I take the reading?

Well I ran out in that cold garage and tested the orange/black connector putting the probes on each little blade on the male side of connector. The reading was .6 Ohms.

Sounds like you have a wire to fix. Or replace the pick up assembly possibly. Best to remove the grommet from the cover when removing it. Some sealer on the grommet will save you an oil leak on reassembly.
Steve

Those ohms readings should be way higher than that..

When 1st got my 91, 3 years ago now, my pulse pickup coil died, but I had no idea what to look for. and at the time, I did not know of this forum.
The guys on Star V-max helped me to diagnose my issue, then led me to these great bunch of guys here..

I ended up getting a replacement PU coil. (I think they now have a better one with full harness)
the new one has a resistance value between 100 - 190 Ohms
"See mid page here"
http://www.starvmax.com/kunena/28-help-desk/173491-91-vmx12-question?start=30

I know some guys wouldn't do this, but because my wires were a bit shredded and gave no slack for working on, I put a high end "Deans Connector" (an R/C product), in line. This allows me to completely remove the cover.

Hello guys, I will respond to all of you in this one post:

Miles Long, I think your right Sean had mentioned this little black and orange wire in similar threads. I think I am on the right track thanks to ya'll.

SDT354/Steve, I will open it up this evening and hope and pray it is something as simple as a wire being disconnected. I assume I would be able to follow the wire from the connector all the way to the pickup coil where it mounts. If I pinched it or worse yet severed it I should be able to resolder it and insulate it. Heres to hoping. Thanks.

Dmax2012, I read your link and am hoping for the same outcome. VaRooooooMMMm!
I will report back with my findings this evening. Logic dictates that it should be related to my messing about the starter clutch and those two covers. Since the bike was running and starting the day before. I am hoping Occams razor proves me right that the simplest explanation is hopefully the right one. thanks for the link.

"Really horrorshow, chap!" Keep working through the suggestions, you're going to get it. Having had issues of a similar nature, I vote for a bad pickup coil. Do a search on here for an alternative pickup coil, but do NOT buy an OEM pickup coil! They are very expensive. There is an aftermarked replacement you will find ordering info for if you do an advanced search.

As Miles Long said, "key off," and as Sean said, you should have something in the vicinity of 120 ohms measuring between the leads. If you are getting a true reading at 0.6 ohms, then either you have a broken lead, or a bad pickup coil.

Addition:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29714&highlight=pick-up+coil

I may be good to go. I went into the stator cover and found the both leads (orange &black) to the pick up ignition pinched and severed between the case. I cleaned up and rolled her into the garage as is to work on this weekend. I will solder longer leads and use some heat shrink tape and from now on have a new respect for the inner workings of this bike. Working outside in poor light probably did not help. I will report back how it all goes but I am hopeful barring any other surprises I may just get this ol girl roaring again. Thanks to all .

Did you notice they used the exact same photo on Ebay from the r/r.com?
Yes I did.. I wonder if this ebay seller is just making himself the "middleman" to get some income? OR, it could be that RR.com is reaching out to the Ebay market? Hopefully, I wont have to find out..:biglaugh:

Good news. The bike started right up. Running a bit rough and a tiny leak under mid gear cover probably cuz I lost the copper washer. I need to address the carbs and fix the leak and it is all good. Thanks to Vmax forum.net and awesome forum members.

and a tiny leak under mid gear cover
That's an oil leak you're referring to, correct? If so, maybe you're gaskets needs to be looked at?
Glad to here you got her fired up.. Put a big smile on your face, didn't it?:biglaugh:

When I swapped out my pickup coil, I didn't have the manual with the color wiring diagram. I didn't know the PU wires were polarized and had them reversed. When trying to start, it would Ping and Pop but no start. It was depressing... I figured, what the hell,, swap the wire polarity, and YAHOOOOO!!! Big cheesy grin on my face.. LOL

... I was sitting there holding that big cover and had no where to put it and the wires where getting some tension. I gingerly laid it down on the ground but there was some tension on the wires, while I took off the peg and shifter and other cover...

Read your post a few days before I pulled my starter cover off and YOU helped me out. Thank you!

I had picked up a bunch of S hooks at the 99 cent store to hang calipers in order to keep tension off the brake lines.
I used two of those to hang the starter clutch cover and kept tension off the electrical components:

2nti5c2.jpg

Back