Antifreeze drip?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
I noticed a small pooling of antifreeze yesterday. Here is a picture of where it leaks from and where it pools. Please post what is wrong and how to fix it. Thanks.

Attachments

• Antifreeze seep.jpg
    Antifreeze seep.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 68
There is a small plug in the cylinder right at that spot. See the small allen screw right near the leak? That holds on that small cover, the plug is behind it. I'll bet you see the leak coming from there. It's been a long time since I messed with that part of my bike - but I recall I had the same leak about 20 years ago.. The little plug (brass, I think) was able to be removed by screwing the top of a spark plug into it (Take the screwed on part off the plug first, if it's there. The little thread is a perfect fit. Then just wiggle & pull the plug out. You're gonna lose coolant. Get a new one, put a bit of RTV on it, and gently tap it back into place. If that's where it's leaking from, it should be fixed...

EDIT: I left for a minute to find the part number for this little plug... 90338-11152-00 "Plug Special Shape". Costs about $4.50 each (From Ronayers.com) The bike uses 4 of them

Second thought: I believe I slobbered some silicone (or whatever I used to seal the plug) around the outside of the plug before I put the little cover back on. Maybe to have a bit more sealant there, I don't remember (Hey!, I'm OLD!!). In any case, it never leaked again, and totally forgot about it till I read this thread.......

Last edited:
MAN! Bill I wanted to give the secrets behind door #1 LOL.. I replaced all the rubber on my bike when I did the re-build even them little suckers..... a spark plug screws right into them so you can pull the metal plug. That is what I used anyways LOL

G

Took off cover. Saw plug with rubber washer. Left washer alone. Put some Rtv on rim of washer and where washer contacts the cover. Reinstalled cover. Will let dry, see if it holds. Just wonder if I should have pried off washer, Rtv both sides of it.

:punk: It's just a rubber plug. You can pull it and reuse it or buy a new one. You have 4 of them on your motor. If your fix does not work, pull it, clean it, and reinstall with rtv. Good luck, Spurs

It's rubber with a metal insert to pull out out with.

+1 on a small dab of RTV on the plug before pushing it in.

I think covering it on the outside with RTV may work but perhaps only temporarily.

Ordering plugs. While ordering thought I'd get some oil drain plug gaskets, the compressing type. Anyone know the part number?

Ordering plugs. While ordering thought I'd get some oil drain plug gaskets, the compressing type. Anyone know the part number?

I hate those washers. I use Rector Seal. It's applied to joints on Gas and Diesel Pumps at gas stations and seals extremely well without the crush washers or, using the old one.. Unless you mean the one on the middle gear cover. It's needed...

I hate those washers. I use Rector Seal. It's applied to joints on Gas and Diesel Pumps at gas stations and seals extremely well without the crush washers or, using the old one.. Unless you mean the one on the middle gear cover. It's needed...

Yeah that Rectum seal is some good stuff :punk:

G

mine were leaking once so i just threaded a plug in and twisted it like 90?, no more leaks. hah.

Latest posts

Back