Any archery buffs??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaboom

Reaction score
I want to get a bow and set up a target in my yard.....

I am looking at recurves.........

I ain't rich so no $500.00 bows....

What's a good inexpensive recurve bow??

What do I need to look for??:confused2:

:ummm:

Are you getting back into it or are you starting out?

For starting out, I suggest a PSE king fisher. It's a break down recurve that comes with one fishing arrow and a drum. They're good bows for just shooting too. take the fishing stuff and put it in a closet (you'll want it later, 'cause bowfishing is a blast!)
They can be found at a very reasonable price brand new and will last a long time.

For returning to the sport, look around pawn shops and check ebay. There are a lot of good recurves sitting around collecting dust.
The problem with ebay is that you can't check for split or warped limbs.

Other than that, don't get carried away with pull weight. 25-45#'s should be fine and you don't want to wear your shoulder out on a pull that you'll never get full use of.

Im into archery i hunt but i use a compound bow, Why a recurve? You can pick up a used compound bow up cheap, recurves are ok but, i think if you are just starting out and never shot a bow a compound is more user friendly with sites and a release. Also you may want to start hunting or Bow fishing for carp is a blast. JIM

Attachments

• browning1.jpg
    browning1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 14
  • browning2.jpg
    browning2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 7
I am just starting out.......

As for selecting a recurve.......I just like the look of them better.....

Bow fishing and carp fishing are HUGE around here......as is bow hunting.....

But I just want to kill targets in my yard for right now......

I always thought buying a used bow was a bad idea due to fitment and possible abuse or mistreatment.......They don't look like too much fun when they break.....but I don't know how, why, or how often that happens:confused2:

So I should be looking for a used compound bow that fits......right??

EDIT: Are compound bows the only ones with sights???

I would check out some used compounds at pawn shops like others suggested. Matter of fact I have about a 4-8 year old darton viper that I could let go cheap. Not sure how much shipping might be. I bought a new bow last year so its just collecting dust.

Yes go with a compound i think you will have more accuracy with a compound which =s fun factor and if you do want to hunt you will be ready, dont get me wrong recurves are great to but in the hands of an experenced archer,Goto a sporting goods store they may have a used bow that fits you, Im sure they will be able to measure you for draw length, and a 50to 60Lb pull is plenty to start. If they dont have a bow at least you will know what to look for . If you are a lefty they are even cheaper. Pse, Hoyt, Martin,Mathews, also just starting out stick with a solid limb design, no split limbs. JIM

Pawn Shop:rofl_200::rofl_200:

There ain't no pawn shop for a hundred miles at least......

Solid limbs....check

Compound......check

Used....check

Darton Viper......What's cheap??

What am I looking at spending for a decent used compound bow.....ballpark figure:confused2:

I bought my first bear whitetail bow maybe 10yrs old for 100 bucks it was ready to go arrows, quiver, sites etc, found out i liked it so i invested in a pse brute force 3yrs old. I bought my browning ambush 80 new 6 or 7yrs ago had like700 raped up in it and will keep it , I may switch to a cross bow they just legalized them here in pa to hunt with.

Rob can you tell him if its Right or left handed, draw length,% of let off and how old the bow is?

its right handed
60-70 lb draw set @60
70% let off
draw length range 29-32" set @ 31"
cobra fiber optic sights
Quik Tune two finger type rest

I've also got about a dozen easton aluminum arrows and a hard case that can go with it.

Go to search function here. Put in "Archery", and open the thread titles "Gay Test".

That's what I like about archery!

After you enjoy the pic in the first post - go down to post 18.

Around 100 bucks will get you a decent compound. Old, but decent.
The let off is better on newer bows with a single cam but you'll spend quite a bit more for one.
If you're just going to be shooting it in the back yard, think about having the weight dropped to around 50-60# if it will go that low. You'll get more shots before getting tired and you'll probably get more consistent groupings.

And y'all are making it sound like it's impossible to hunt with a recurve!
(showing off now)
bows.jpg

I retired my PSE (yellow) to bowfishing duty when I found my bowtech (on the couch) for $400. The top one is a Bear glass-cat @ 45# second is a Pearson @ 45# and the third is a little no name 25# bow that I use for rabbits.
I've got a few more in the basement, but they never get used.

You bastards have me thinking about October 1st now :bang head:

Last edited:
its right handed
60-70 lb draw set @60
70% let off
draw length range 29-32" set @ 31"
cobra fiber optic sights
Quik Tune two finger type rest

I've also got about a dozen easton aluminum arrows and a hard case that can go with it.

That sounds like a good deal!!!!

Let me check shipping rates and the bank account........and measure myself up....I just read how to do that.....

I'll get back to you.......obviously don't hold it if you get another buyer......money talks and all that.....

I'm kinda' in the research phase right now......but you might have just sped that up:punk:

You bastards have me thinking about October 1st now :bang head:

The weather is just getting good........or at least it was......I got snow on the ground here now:damn angry:

Don't rush it:biglaugh:

OK - I'm old school - I vote for an old Bear 40# recurve & learn to "instinctive" shoot instead of starting with sights & pulleys & releases & such. Set a few different targets up & shoot them from all different angles. But if you over-do the practice , you can burn out. Limit yourself to 1/2 hour a day or so. Archery is an awesome sport, but it's easy to get caught up in too much technology IMHO. Master the basics first...

I got my first bow when I was 10, it was a 35# bear recurve. Then when I was 14 I built my first compound, it was a Jennings model K. then used it for about 20 years, then got my Browning.

I'm thinking about picking up a 70# longbow to play around with.

Archery buff or Buff archer?

OK, OK....I'll accept the hijack bust! :hijacked:

Bust....did someone say Bust?

Attachments

• Buff archery chick.jpg
    Buff archery chick.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back