Anybody using wave rotors on front??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dezeez

Reaction score
If so, how do you like them? Better, worse or the same as stock?

China's starting to flood Ebay with cheap rotors and I'm tempted to try a pair.

I'm running a Galfer wave rotor on the back and it's awesome. It was great even with stock pads.

I wouldn't run cheap rotors from China unless I knew they complied with local design standards.

Nah. Screw it. I wouldn't run cheap rotors from China even if they said they met local design standards. These guys have no QA that can be trusted.

Can you imagine how nervous a Chinese Astronaut must be?

I tell you what. You test them and tell me whether they work or not :rofl_200:

Last edited:

So let me get this straight, your thinking of running cheap brake parts and you want to know if their any good? On a V-Max? I think you should sell the bike before you run into something of someone.

BTW I have Galfer Wave rotors front and rear, could not be happier. Got them from Wild Bill.

I have Galfers front and rear. They are fantastic! I got them from Bill at WildBros.

It is your money (and life) do what you feel you need to.

Question for those that may know. is there a big difference to floating versus non-floating rotors. Seems to be a big price difference.

With opposing pistons on both sides of the rotor I don't see why floating discs are a neccesity.

Question for those that may know. is there a big difference to floating versus non-floating rotors. Seems to be a big price difference.

With opposing pistons on both sides of the rotor I don't see why floating discs are a neccesity.

Because, it sounds cool. :) Plus, all men like "floaters".

Mark

Claimed advantages of floating rotors are better heat dissipation; better braking; reducing lever pulsing; reduced lever effort; no rotor distortion; generally reduced weight (in most cases); reduced chance of rotor cracking; improved brake alignment; stylish looks. Some manufacturers also claim they extend pad life due to the reduced scaper hole pattern but this would depend on individual design.

Worth doing for sure BUT don't compromise on quality.

I understand the concern about Chinese steel but you're living in fantasyland if you think that american products are made with american steel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_steel_producers

The US has two steel producers on this list. Number 7, US Steel, makes less than 10% of the steel used in the US. Number 8 is a steel recycling company. Check how many Chinese companies are on the list. Don't think for one minute that american companies aren't buying from the cheapest place they can and only passing a little of the savings on to you. And I blame the US, not China. If I can keep one stinking american corperate VP from getting his stock options this month by buying direct from China, then I'm a happy camper. Maybe that will wake them up.

And guys, I'm not trying to start a war of words, just my opinion of where the true blame lies.

So let me get this straight, your thinking of running cheap brake parts and you want to know if their any good? On a V-Max? I think you should sell the bike before you run into something of someone.

BTW I have Galfer Wave rotors front and rear, could not be happier. Got them from Wild Bill.

I'm not asking if the Chinese rotors are any good, just the Wave type rotors.

Your post says "China's starting to flood Ebay with cheap rotors and I'm tempted to TRY A PAIR"

So... WTF are you taking about?

I'm not asking if the Chinese rotors are any good, just the Wave type rotors.

I understand what you are asking and I have responded sensibly to your question but in view of what you originally said I heard alarm bells loud and clear.

Seems others on the forum heard them too.

Now for the Rant.

Regardless of where the steel comes from, the process of manufacturing a rotor can radically alter the properties of the steel from which it is made.

I do not trust a Chinese manufacturer to manufacture a quality rotor, at a cheap price AND consistently observe the appropriate manufacturing standards.

Profit is universally understood by Chinese manufacturers but Quality Assurance is another matter altogether.

And you are right, greedy execs DO have a lot to answer for.

Ask yourself this. If a local manufacturer must manufacture to auditable standards of quality assurance or face prosecution, why does so much obviously inferior product from China make it onto our retail shelves?

Local manufacturers go broke meeting the highest standards because imports that are not subject to the same standards whiteant their markets with cheap rubbish.

Brakes MUST work every time.

[FONT=&quot]Unknown parts are not something you should be considering an experiment with.

[/FONT]

I'm running Galfers all the way around. When it comes to tires and brakes I don't skimp! I want top quality stuff. I love the Galfers. www.whitebuffaloracing.com has great prices on Galfer stuff and they are good to deal with. Call and talk to Mike.:thumbs up:

I just priced out the galfer wave rotors from white buffalo and he quoted me $120.00 per rotor(fronts & backs). Now i checked out wild Bill's price and he wants $265.00 each for the fronts and $135 for the rear.
How can there be that much difference? Am i comparing apples to apples or am i missing something here? hell that's a little over $300 difference:confused2:

Sounds like you priced pre-93 rotors one place (front and back are the same rotor) and post 93 the other (rear the same all years but semi-floating rotors on the front). Those are the approximate prices for the different styles.

BTW, $120 is a good price for the Galfer rear rotor. My only bitch is that I installed one, been too cold to ride, and it's already starting to rust just sitting in the garage. Must be a lot of carbon in that stainless steel.

Attachments

• RR480.JPG
    RR480.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 40
Sounds like you priced pre-93 rotors one place (front and back are the same rotor) and post 93 the other (rear the same all years but semi-floating rotors on the front). Those are the approximate prices for the different styles.

I told Mike from white buffalo that my bike was an 85 but i had the newer style wheels. So i'm not sure if i would need 85-93 rotors or 94-07? either way he said the price is the same ($120.00 each)just different part numbers. Where did you end up getting yours and what did you pay for them?

I told Mike from white buffalo that my bike was an 85 but i had the newer style wheels. So i'm not sure if i would need 85-93 rotors or 94-07? either way he said the price is the same ($120.00 each)just different part numbers. Where did you end up getting yours and what did you pay for them?

Hey Bill,

The difference is semi-floating rotors or solid mount rotors.

My fronts are solid mount. I did a lot or research on the difference and everything I read said unless you're racing on a track there is no need for them. BUT my front ones are NOT pre '93 size. Their 298mm or what ever the late model ones are even though they look smaller they aren't. They work great, look great weigh less and cost less too... I am HAPPY as hell with them. WhiteBuffaloracing.com just have good pricing. I have priced a lot of stuff there including my Barnett kit and it was A LOT cheaper from them. Plus Mikes a good guy and will work for ya!

Good luck,
Chris

Attachments

• Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 22
Hey Bill,

The difference is semi-floating rotors or solid mount rotors.

My fronts are solid mount. I did a lot or research on the difference and everything I read said unless you're racing on a track there is no need for them. BUT my front ones are NOT pre '93 size. Their 298mm or what ever the late model ones are even though they look smaller they aren't. They work great, look great weigh less and cost less too... I am HAPPY as hell with them. WhiteBuffaloracing.com just have good pricing. I have priced a lot of stuff there including my Barnett kit and it was A LOT cheaper from them. Plus Mikes a good guy and will work for ya!

Good luck,
Chris

Thanks for clearing that up for me Chris...
So my only other question is should i order the pre 93 rotors even though i have the newer style wheels on my 85? probably cause i have 85 calipers huh? Oh and do you use ebc pads or galfer?
Thanks> Bill

Back