Are there any good/honest dealers out there?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeS

Reaction score
Hi All.

Why I always manage to find the worst dealers I don't know. I just had a very annoying thing happen to me, and tomorrow I'm going to go and complain to the mgr and see what happens. Ok, here's the story:

I buy a used Vmax from a local dealer (we'll say dealer A), and the salesman reassures me that they stand behind every bike they sell, if I should have any problems within the first couple of weeks, they would take care of it. A couple of days later I'm at the scooter shop where my Vespa is having work done, and I meet a mechanic from another dealer (we'll call them dealer B) and he says I just have to come over and checkout all the stuff they have in the store, and how they're so much better than dealer A, etc. etc.

My bike starts acting up a couple of days later, I have to tap on the false gas tank/ air box cover to get the neutral light to come on, and sometimes it'll start, sometimes not. I decide the next day to take it over to dealer A for them to look at it, and also to stop by dealer B on the way, as they're sort of on the way. Well, I get a block away from dealer B, and the bike dies. I manage to get it started after 10 minutes of trying, taping etc. and I get to dealer B. I go in, give them a quick look, they look to me like any other motorsports/boat dealer, so I get back on my bike, start it right up, and it dies in their parking lot. Their service dept says it would cost $100.00 just for their mechanic to evaluate the bike, when I bitch about it, they suggest that since I just bought it from dealer A, I have them pickup the bike and fix it. I call them, and they're like "nope, used bikes only have a warrantee if you buy one with the bike, they wouldn't come get the bike. But they tell me that dealer B should honor the warrantee that I bought with the bike, so why don't I just have them fix it! So much for their taking care of any problems!

Ok, so back to the service dept. and they say yes, if it's under warrantee the'll honor it, but I would still have to authorize a $100.00 evaluation of the bike. So I do, and I take a cab home (another $50.00 wasted). I call them the next day, and they say the mechanic hasn't looked at it yet, but he will by the end of the day. I go ahead and stop in to drop off a wire I had for a battery tender, and ask them to attach it to the battery. While there I notice that they sell the Oddessy batteries, so I check if they have a PC680, and they do, and the price is $130.00 for it. I tell the service writer (can't talk to a real mechanic) to put on of those in my bike, and I would either pay for it if it's not covered, or pay the difference if it was. He says not to worry, if a battery is needed under warrantee, they would cover the full cost of the PC680, and I think 'cool'. I tell them to also do an oil change, as I just bought the bike, and who knows what shape the oil is in, they again say no problem. Well to cut this short (I'm starting to ramble on) almost a week later after many excuses for delays, etc. my bike is almost ready. The tech has finally looked at the bike, done the oil change, replaced the battery, and determined that the fault was a bad kill switch on the handlebar, and electrical isn't covered under they warrantee, I would have to pay for it to be fixed. I tell them I'll pickup the bike as it is, as they don't have the part in stock, and it should only take a week or so to get the part once I order it, I told them I would deal with it later, and just jumper out the switch when I got the bike. I go pickup the bike, and they charged $100.00 for the oil change, $100.00 for the evaluation, and the total bill is $224.00 The bill says nothing about oil changes or batteries, only a $100 charge for the eval, then another $150.00 for labor, so how they got $224 I'll never know.

Anyway I specifically asked the service writer "ok, you installed a new PC680 battery, and he assured me they did, when I get home, sure enough, no new battery, just the original one recharged! And I now suspect if it was in fact the kill switch, it might have been a loose connector, as since I got the bike back, it's been running great again.

So, is this normal shit for dealers, or did I just luck out that the only 2 dealers in the county are both trash?

-MikeS

Sorry about your luck with your VMax and the dealers. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad garages and dealers out there. We have other members here from Florida that can probably suggest a good garage for you.

Plus one on Buster's statement...

FL's a pretty large piece of real estate... Where exactly are ya?

There are more than a few regular good-guy owners/posters on here from FL...that would likely be willin' to help, if you were in their area...

It's always good to know WHO and WHERE the dealer is that has taken advantage of you as well...that way you may possibly save another owner from another future bad experience.

Uncle Philthy

I think I'm lucky because I have a fairly good and honest Yamaha dealership here. As a example, they will mount tires for $37.50 which includes a high speed balance. While the prices on his accessories may not be the cheapest but not too far out of line.

There is a car dealer close to where I live I once took my car to to have a new radiator put in[I could not do it in front of my house for lack of tools,lift ...] The old one had a pin hole in it that was getting worse.I had asked thye dealership [Don Whites Chrysler in Timonium ,MD]to reuse my trans lines if possible[to save the $200.00 it cost for new ones] of course they didnt even try to reuse my old ones just cut the lines[like the junk yard does]then called me up to inform me I had a blown head gasket[funny thing is the car was heating up butnot overheating with the leak] I went up there and they tryed to show me it had a blown head gasket,I looked at the temp gage,temp was fine,checked the exhaust no burning antifreeze or oil ? all was fine!!!!they were trying to give me some BS right to my face along with the mechanic about how my head gasket needed replacing for $2000.00 I told them to ____ my d___!!![no joke]

Ive been driving on that "blown head gasket" ever since! matter of fact 40,000 miles worth, what a bunch of crooked assholes!

Well, the dealer I bought the bike from was Fort Lauderdale Motorsports on Sunrise Blvd in Fort Lauderdale, and in all honesty, I can't fault the dealership for a lie told by the salesman when trying to make a sale (salesman = pro lier), and they did take care of my Kawasaki fairly well, if not slowly with a warrantee service on it. The second dealer I'm going to reserve judgement on until I go and talk to their service manager. I have a feeling it's just a case of extremely stupid service writer coupled with dumb mechanic, and if the Svc mgr makes some token effort to correct things, I will give them a second chance. If he doesn't, I won't return there.

-MikeS

I would call/email Yamaha and complain. Also you can complain to the warranty company. I had an issue before with a local dealer and I was talking to the warranty company about my coverage, but they were vey interested in the dealers poor service.

I think I'm lucky because I have a fairly good and honest Yamaha dealership here. As a example, they will mount tires for $37.50 which includes a high speed balance. While the prices on his accessories may not be the cheapest but not too far out of line.

my local small town garage is 28.00 total to mount (plus he has to listen to my BS stories....hahaha)
Lanes Yamaha in Watkins Glen NY (15 min from me) charges like 25.00..... and Lane's is one of THE BEST yamaha dealers around here.....plus they know their vmaxes !

I would call/email Yamaha and complain.

They do listen. After my EXCELLENT experience in getting my '07 Max, I emailed Yamaha corporate about Michael Jiminez and Millenium Cycle Works and told them exactly what I thought of them. How well they had done their job, how professional they (especially Michael) had been, and that the biggest hang-up is that when I showed up to pick the Max up, the battery wasn't fully charged.

They delivered it to my house on a flatbed for free and appologized a thousand times for me having to wait for my bike.

There are good dealers out there, but they are rare. One of the things that Yamaha Corporate did was send the dealership a letter of recognition, which they all thanked me for. The other thing they did was call me to tell me that they appreciated the fact that I called them about something good. They hear a lot of bad experiences, but they hear nothing about the good ones.

In the end, I think we all need to write/call in to let Yamaha know what's going on. When all you get is the bad, well...it can easily be taken as "He's an idiot that didn't get blown while buying his bike, so maybe the dealer is right."

Good or bad, comment. Always. That will leave a VERY definitive line on who is and who is not doing the job for Yamaha.

I've still got the letters of thanks from Yamaha in my owners manual in my desk drawer. Call them and talk to them and tell them EVERYTHING about your experience.

Believe it or not, if they get enough complaints about a dealer, that dealer will lose his rights to sell Yamaha products.

But guys and gals, when it goes right, do the same. Call Yamaha and tell them all about it.

Yamaha is only as good as we are. That is to say, if all they hear is complaints, what can they do? If they hear who's doing it right, then they can do something about it and make all their dealers live up to the same standard.

Rant over. Sorry.

Tom

As for Star the Yamaha plant in CA I wouldn't deal with them again if you paid me[a bunch of incompetent fools.....]

Hey, why we're on the subject of dealers/shops, I just had a bad experience turn good. There is no local Yamaha dealer in town and I needed a new rear tire. So I went to the two small local shops and got one priced. Basically the same although I thought I would try the one I've never used before. They ordered the tire which took a week to get... BS. Then I took the rim in for the install. Came back later that day and there it is ready with the wrong tire on it. They claimed they ordered the right one but their supplier shipped the wrong one. OK, get the right tire in tomorrow and we'll be good. Next day, nothing. I vented pretty strongly. The day after I got a call saying the tire was in and mounted. Great, I go to the service area and throw the tire in the truck and head for the desk. I wasn't asking for anything but thought a discount would be appropriate. I never said anything, the own shook my hand and said this was on them... no charge. I asked "are you sure", yep, our mistake. Not to ask again for fear for second thoughts, I said thank you and left with a new $210.00 tire installed for free other than the inconvenience of not have my wheel for three days. Being in a small town I guess they would rather not give me reason for bad press. WIll I go back... I'll probably give them a second chance.

ALL CAR DEALERS SUCK ! & MOST BIKE DEALERS SUCK ! THE DEALER I BOUGHT MY V-MAX FROM ARE LYING RIGHT TO MY FACE SCUM BAGS !!!!!!! EVEN WHEN COUGHT IN THERE OWN LIE , THEY JUST LIE MORE !!!!! I HOPE ONE DAY , THEY COME HOME & FIND THIER WIVES BEING BANGED BY GUY'S WITH V-MAX'S !!!!!!! :wkwk::th_love031:

Back