Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just joined the forum, it pretty useful for repairs and troubleshooting.
glad there's still people talking about these, the aftermarket seems somewhat lacking from my research.

i roll around on a 1988 vmax 1200, spray painted purple and black with a homemade tail delete.

Hi all, just joined up as I am about to embark on the adventure of (lightly) restoring my Dad's 1998 V-Max, unfortunately he lost interest in the bike back in 2006 when it developed a carburettor problem so it sat until he passed in 2016.. I shipped the bike out to NZ and just now have time to start working on it (Just finished a 1976 BMW R90s resto as well) So here I am, Shetlander living in Auckland NZ and looking forward to getting this beast back on the road.. my current road bike is a 2018 BMW S1000R and I have a couple of older Triumphs as well..

Attachments

• IMG_1025.JPG
    IMG_1025.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 21
Hi all, just joined up as I am about to embark on the adventure of (lightly) restoring my Dad's 1998 V-Max, unfortunately he lost interest in the bike back in 2006 when it developed a carburettor problem so it sat until he passed in 2016.. I shipped the bike out to NZ and just now have time to start working on it (Just finished a 1976 BMW R90s resto as well) So here I am, Shetlander living in Auckland NZ and looking forward to getting this beast back on the road.. my current road bike is a 2018 BMW S1000R and I have a couple of older Triumphs as well..

Good luck with the bike and Nice Shop!

Hi Scott
Its a small world. I'm Jon Laurenson with the same origin.
I too have a 97 - V max orbeit almost finished if there is such a thing. I too have not long finished a BMW R65.
I'm based in Wollongong, NSW.
Interested to follow your process.
Cheers
Jon

Hi Jon,

Sorry for not replying earlier! it's great to meet other Laurensons, I believe the name pretty much originated in Shetland. Did you move out to Australia or were you born and bred there? the old airhead BMW's are lovely to ride, very different experience but fantastic all the same.. I only bought my new s1000r because of the R90s, previous to that I had a Suzuki B-king (I must have a thing for muscle bikes) I will look to start a new thread and post some pics if others are interested.

Well..... Nas flash and double D mod to start.... yea... and rip out that cat converter and choose your weapon (exaust).

Finally got to join and not get the error "you seem like a robot contact an admin" Started riding again after 12 years. Got myself a 05 with 18000+ the last weekend in February have put almost 1000 mile on it with the wife. I have just finished rebuilding the water pump (seeping from hole) changed all the fluids except the brake fluid it still looked good new fuel filter. Added 4 disks to each side to bring me to 7 per side on the supertrapp. Have the open end caps too but right now it seems loud enough.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 18
Hey
Thanks for the replies.Its great to here from Vmaxers that are really into it. If you want to try something a little different and crazy, hit the drag strip.
Be leave, me I am no pro at it but what a Rush. Hitting the beach pit and burnout is wild and crazy. Did it 3 or 4 times one year. I get pumped every time i think about. JUST FUNKEN DO IT
Bob Vmax from New Hampshire

Hello all, long time lurker first time Max owner here. I've been wanting a VMax since I first saw one in a magazine in 85 but even with owning multiple bikes I've never owned a Max. That being said I'm not quite right in the head so I didn't go the normal route and find a nice low mileage pampered Max to ride around on I found a fella selling 2, both wrecked. Both been sitting, cant hear either one run BUT I'm getting both for pretty cheap and just looking them over it looks like there are enough parts between the two to make one decent bike. Is this a smart move? Hell no! But some people like to be tied up and beat with whips, i do stupid stuff like this. Besides for this price if it doesn't work out I can part them out to get my money back. I've been a mechanic all my life and an aircraft mechanic in the Air Force and Air National Guard for 26 years now so I know my way around a garage, I may not know everything but I'm willing to learn and have a strong knowledge of electrical, hydraulic and mechanicals and I tend to like to solve those issues that others have given up on. Anyways I'm sure I'll be posting some pics and asking some questions in the weeks and months to come and hopefully I'll have a running riding Max by at least the end of the summer.

Back